Gtir Motorsport club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Gtir Motorsport club

Welcome to the largest Nissan Pulsar & Sunny GTI-R Forum. Masses of info, friendly members, cars for sale, lots of spares. Best forum on the net by far. Everything your gtir needs is here.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Pete (the box slayer) rebuild

+11
mightydquinn
gtir_woody
PartyPete
johnny gtir
shroom
nomad
toaster55
burrows1980
ducie54
mreguest
Stu
15 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Go down  Message [Page 7 of 7]

151Pete (the box slayer) rebuild - Page 7 Empty Re: Pete (the box slayer) rebuild 28th September 2016, 12:18 pm

Cosmic73

Cosmic73

Stu wrote:Neil is a top bloke! Loads of browny points earned lol
Good to have you on board our club Neil. Smile

Im just glad to help, especially in a subject i know a bit about.
Plus i like a good technical challenge and this was definitley a challenge, Very Happy Very Happy
Anyway, lets make sure it lasts before we get too carried away, Very Happy

152Pete (the box slayer) rebuild - Page 7 Empty Re: Pete (the box slayer) rebuild 28th September 2016, 9:53 pm

mreguest

mreguest

Amazing stuff happening here, good skills and good luck!

when will we be able to see the mighty beast in action? do you do track days/time attack/quarter miles/hill climbs etc?

153Pete (the box slayer) rebuild - Page 7 Empty Re: Pete (the box slayer) rebuild 29th September 2016, 5:37 am

PartyPete

PartyPete
the one star club
the one star club

mreguest wrote:Amazing stuff happening here, good skills and good luck!

when will we be able to see the mighty beast in action? do you do track days/time attack/quarter miles/hill climbs etc?

I haven't really done anything other than break it tbh....but if and when it all works it will be out at some track events eventually Smile

154Pete (the box slayer) rebuild - Page 7 Empty Re: Pete (the box slayer) rebuild 30th September 2016, 3:24 pm

burrows1980

burrows1980

So whos box you doing next Neil? Laughing must be a queue down the street and round the corner Laughing

Outstanding work, learn't a lot from this thread!

155Pete (the box slayer) rebuild - Page 7 Empty Re: Pete (the box slayer) rebuild 30th September 2016, 3:43 pm

Cosmic73

Cosmic73

Well,  I've had my hand up Pete's box for so long now and grown quite intimate with his shaft I'm not sure I could have the same intense feelings for another.
It would have to be something special.

156Pete (the box slayer) rebuild - Page 7 Empty Re: Pete (the box slayer) rebuild 24th October 2016, 11:34 am

shroom

shroom

So hows it going? All still working I take it

'Shit' think I need to sell my Sunny!

But woman cant replace a sheep
Oh I wish that for the peace!
But I really cant find my honey
The only one I would give my money
Is one with a great big fleece
And then I would be at peace...

157Pete (the box slayer) rebuild - Page 7 Empty Re: Pete (the box slayer) rebuild 24th October 2016, 11:37 am

PartyPete

PartyPete
the one star club
the one star club

It's run out of mot, done about 375 miles so far,and taken it to about 75% throttle, all good so far. Started to fit the gearbox brace, I've realised where I messed up fitting it last time so now it fits spot on. I may get it re motd next month and continue putting the miles on it and then when I've got to giving it some real stick I'll update again thumbsup

158Pete (the box slayer) rebuild - Page 7 Empty Re: Pete (the box slayer) rebuild 24th October 2016, 12:23 pm

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

^ sounds good Pete ...
Decent gradual break-in give chance for stuff bed better and also reduces potential scrap should something went wrong .
Lot more miles than managed on the previous builders effort lol .
can't wait here for full spanking report, needs going on Bobs 1/4 mile RR day I think :-D
happy days ....

159Pete (the box slayer) rebuild - Page 7 Empty Re: Pete (the box slayer) rebuild 22nd December 2016, 4:45 pm

PartyPete

PartyPete
the one star club
the one star club

Right! Just a little update,finally got the car sorted today and got some more miles on it! As it came around to 425 miles I decided to give it the the full power treatment, 2nd gear from a slow start,right up the rev range and into 3rd and let off (didn't keep going as I was in a built up area) and it handled it like a dream (unlike last time in 3rd when it self destructed) I know it's only a small step but as you can imagine I'm pretty chuffed Very Happy
So over the next few days I'm going to be giving it some more and more to make sure all is well.I will keep you updated.....

160Pete (the box slayer) rebuild - Page 7 Empty Re: Pete (the box slayer) rebuild 22nd December 2016, 6:18 pm

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

That's it Pete, get your mojo back thumbsup
Should be fine, only things that could of been better would of been 3rd-4th billet shifter and straightcut final drive. I have one box on par and still retaining oem final drive like yours and it been fine for years on road and drag strip. built another and it still going strong and know couple owners in malaysia on full par kits handling abuse quite well, no drama . It a cheap (in world of gearkits) way build a strong box that should be good for 500 to 600hp pending on par kit parts used and other build factors such as bearings, build clearances/preloads and casing revision that used - strengthened etc .
Have a great christmas abusing your box,

161Pete (the box slayer) rebuild - Page 7 Empty Re: Pete (the box slayer) rebuild 22nd December 2016, 7:57 pm

PartyPete

PartyPete
the one star club
the one star club

Cheers B, you're saying all the right things. Couldn't help myself and just been out for a proper shakedown on the back roads, 1st to 4th full chat for about 15 minutes and gotta say it was spot on!! Forgot how fast the car TBH! Like I say gonna keep giving it some over xmas just too make sure, but if all is well I can continue on with the rest of the car! If I could have afforded it I'd of had the straight cut 5th as well as I'm paranoid about changing into 5th but I simply couldn't afford it, so just take my time with that gear, it is shot peened but as with my 4th gear turned out to be pointless.

162Pete (the box slayer) rebuild - Page 7 Empty Re: Pete (the box slayer) rebuild 22nd December 2016, 8:20 pm

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

what you got remember is fair few have spanked a standard box at high 300s and low 400s with little drama when it been a low mileage good box. It should be fine but after your experience I can understand feeling apprehensive, just reading the box threads makes me want whole par kit for extra piece of mind and to be honest if going straightcut best way is the lot and revise bearings too, trouble was the 1st to 4th kit was perfect sweet spot price few years back .
Shot peening gears is tricky as got be peened in precise way to get any gain plus gear teeth need be A1 too and most original used gears aren't really good enough warrant expense of peening etc .
Most of your issues the builder so don't underestimate the box, but do remember you can break any gearbox if try hard enough :-)
Hope you keep moving forward with the R in 2017 . no more gearbox removals unless practice session Laughing

163Pete (the box slayer) rebuild - Page 7 Empty Re: Pete (the box slayer) rebuild 22nd December 2016, 8:36 pm

Cosmic73

Cosmic73

That's great news Pete. You deserve to be smiling again after the really shitty time you went through, everything just kept going wrong.
Now its properly run in, if anything was going to happen, it would've happened, and the longer nothing happens, the more confident you can be in stretching her legs.
Nothing beats the feeling of opening up a tuned R down a sweeping A road.
Soon you'll be known as the Evo slayer  Very Happy  Very Happy

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 7 of 7]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum