I posted a while back about my R project, thought I better show a few pictures of my progress so far, must admit only got as far as stripping it down
Before I started photos:
Anyway the story, I was on the point of selling her, owned her for 9 years and fancied a change, but when it came down to it, I just couldn't part with her! So the plan was hatched of restoring the black beast, to be fair there's not much wrong with her, but I've got the time to do it properly so what the hell..
Body work wise theres very little rust, plenty of surface rust underneath as you would expect but on a whole really straight and solid..
Over the last month or so ive stripped it down completely and made a rotisserie to make it easier to tackle the underside plus very handy for moving around the garage!
Some how I managed to weld the pivot point slightly off being straight on both dolly's! Christ knows how I managed that when everything else is perfect, oh well it still works! Mental note to myself when I rotate the car take my tools and crap out the boot first hmmmmm a lot of noise shall we say!
I meant to ask this question a while back, how do you take the rear light plastic lenses out? I've taken the small fixing nuts off but the lenses seem to have a black sealant all around them, dont want to damage them by just tugging on them! Thinking of a hairdryer to make the sealant flexible enough to pull free??
Need to raise the car another 200mm so it can rotate a fully without the roof and rear panels catching on the dolly's, also need to put the link bar in between the two dolly's so its all properly secure.
Engine wise im not too sure what I want to do yet, currently running 330bhp @ fly, been running that happily for 20k although the standard clutch I put in 7 years ago is now smooth as something very smooth would like to run 400bhp, but don't want to start having gearbox problems etc, but that's a year or so away yet plenty of time to decide..
All running gear off to sand blasters and either powder coated or painted up. For the underside all old underseal removed (only had one coat when I had it imported 9 years ago) so shouldn't be too hard to get off, treat rusty bits, weld in new rear arch, full respray (black). Will clean up the interior, in vgc anyway, roof lining a bit dirty, not sure how to clean that for the best, don't want to damage the backing board and cause creases..
Removed the engine the tried and test way, fence posts! easy as, never done it this way before had it out in no time at all, on my own as well.
Once I have some progress photos of the underside etc, I will post them up..