Gtir Motorsport club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Gtir Motorsport club

Welcome to the largest Nissan Pulsar & Sunny GTI-R Forum. Masses of info, friendly members, cars for sale, lots of spares. Best forum on the net by far. Everything your gtir needs is here.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Cosmic's Winter Pulsar Project

+16
nomad
shroom
PartyPete
GTI-R US
ducie54
johnboy
Mr B
gtir_woody
burrows1980
Cosmic73
Bandyleg
GTIR James
wrc
pulsarmoley
splmum
buckym120
20 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12 ... 20  Next

Go down  Message [Page 5 of 20]

101Cosmic's Winter Pulsar Project - Page 5 Empty Re: Cosmic's Winter Pulsar Project 22nd November 2015, 2:47 pm

Cosmic73

Cosmic73

shroom wrote:Good work there. Sorry I cant help you with tolerences and shells but in sure if you remove the rod from the piston on the underside it should have the stamp (thats if you havent already) just noticed in your pics you havent removed rods etc.

Anyway its always a pleasure reading your comical updates so keep them coming :-)

Dont you need special tools and press to remove rods? scratch
Had a 2nd look where you said and the old pistons are stamped JE, new pistons are stock.
Always happy to bring a smile to your face Shroom, you cant take life to seriously. Very Happy  Very Happy

102Cosmic's Winter Pulsar Project - Page 5 Empty Re: Cosmic's Winter Pulsar Project 22nd November 2015, 2:55 pm

Cosmic73

Cosmic73

GTI-R US wrote:you will always get minimal wear but as long as it is within specification then it will be fine.

With the cylinders I would lightly hone / deglaze them and fit a new set of rings or ideally if you have the money fit a new set of cp 86mm pistons, run engine on mineral based oil for 500/1000 miles to allow rings to cut and bed.

With regard to the crank I would buy a set of Acl bearings for mains but would reuse the Nissan bearings on the bigends as there is next to no wear at all.
Thoroughly clean the block, crank and all components making sure all oil galleries are spotless.
Fit a set of Arp rod bolts, carry out a modification to oil pick up strainer (pm me)
Then fit a Cosworth 1.2mm hg assuming the head or block do not need skimming.
Remove oil pump casing and check condition of rotors and pump cover for any pick up or scoring, also check function of oil pressure relief valve and modify it if any sign of pick up or wear then replace it with new pump.
With a bit of skimping in the correct places you could have yourself a nice little Forged engine for around £7-800 which will add a fair amount of value to the car should you ever sell it or if at a later date you decide to run more power you then have something built you should not have to worry about.

Sounds good, and tbh i was thinking along the same lines goodpost
Would your company be able to supply the parts? Very Happy

103Cosmic's Winter Pulsar Project - Page 5 Empty Re: Cosmic's Winter Pulsar Project 22nd November 2015, 6:48 pm

shroom

shroom

Cosmic73 wrote:
shroom wrote:Good work there. Sorry I cant help you with tolerences and shells but in sure if you remove the rod from the piston on the underside it should have the stamp (thats if you havent already) just noticed in your pics you havent removed rods etc.

Anyway its always a pleasure reading your comical updates so keep them coming :-)

Dont you need special tools and press to remove rods? scratch
Had a 2nd look where you said and the old pistons are stamped JE, new pistons are stock.
Always happy to bring a smile to your face Shroom, you cant take life to seriously. Very Happy  Very Happy

Well yes although you can do it without but its a bit of a hack lol. Anyway just thats were the ID and make is for your reference. I thought they were JE as they look exactly like an old set I had. Unfortunately JE didnt always put part numbers on the pistons so getting rings was a nightmare as they litteraly had just JE stamped on them.

'Shit' think I need to sell my Sunny!

But woman cant replace a sheep
Oh I wish that for the peace!
But I really cant find my honey
The only one I would give my money
Is one with a great big fleece
And then I would be at peace...

104Cosmic's Winter Pulsar Project - Page 5 Empty Re: Cosmic's Winter Pulsar Project 22nd November 2015, 7:41 pm

GTI-R US

GTI-R US
Management
Management

^^^
yes they would be the old style JE pistons then
The new ones have valve reliefs (cutouts) on them. I can tell you first hand that virtually the only person youll get rings from is ND and also found that the new style rings are not the same as the ones fitted to those pistons so there as good as paper weights if im honest.

Anyways your best person to source parts from is here ericsperformancepartscorp on ebay, very good prices indeed
pistons you want will be 8:5.1 ratio, always ask him for the best price he can do and for import duty purposes if he can drop the cost when he sends them
I would get those, the bearings, oil pump, arp rod bolts from him
The Cosworth hg I would get over here from sumo power £110 from memory

Nissan Performance & Tuning Centre
Services provided

Forge Engine rebuilds to specification
Body Restoration, Fabrication, Repair
Paint refinishing facilities
Ecu re-mapping-Performance upgrades
Auto Diagnostics, Injector cleaning  
Race & Suspension setup
General Servicing, Mots, tyre fitting
Full workshop facilities
http://www.gti-r-us.co.uk www.force500.com

105Cosmic's Winter Pulsar Project - Page 5 Empty Re: Cosmic's Winter Pulsar Project 22nd November 2015, 7:52 pm

Cosmic73

Cosmic73

GTI-R US wrote:^^^
The new ones have valve reliefs (cutouts) on them. I can tell you first hand that virtually the only person youll get rings from is ND and also found that the new style rings are not the same as the ones fitted to those pistons so there as good as paper weights if im honest.

Anyways your best person to source parts from is here ericsperformancepartscorp on ebay, very good prices indeed
pistons you want will be 8:5.1 ratio, always ask him for the best price he can do and for import duty purposes if he can drop the cost when he sends them

That's great, ill get on to it straight away,
Cheers
you the man

106Cosmic's Winter Pulsar Project - Page 5 Empty Re: Cosmic's Winter Pulsar Project 22nd November 2015, 9:27 pm

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

I would rebore & hone block for 86.5 bore.
I can see lines on crank mains in pic.
you want be aiming at 0.03 - 0.035 main clearance & looking at your figures you won't get that.
I would get crank checked for cracks & alignment & I expect ground too. Be fussy what machine shop you use & have all parts prior to any machining being done, with good checks measuring of fitted shells a proper machine shop will have no issue of hitting very specific clearance values.
If ordering parts from US try do all in one hit to save on shipping, frsport.com are worth a call too and haggle, not long ago you could get full set CP for £340. oil pump complete housing is cheap in US so grab one if do a piston order .

107Cosmic's Winter Pulsar Project - Page 5 Empty Re: Cosmic's Winter Pulsar Project 23rd November 2015, 2:07 pm

Cosmic73

Cosmic73

I thought id get the block, head and crank professionally tested and inspected at a local engineering works. My vernier is only accurate to 40um and if i knew the exact measurement ill have a better idea whether i should re-ring or re-bore,
They've just called to say they did a crack test on the crank which showed a 1" crack in the filet of no4 main journal, the one nearest fwheel so its scrap.Shocked
Bugger!

Hopefully the block and head will be ok, but i need a new crank (again) Laughing Laughing anyone?
Pretty please.....with sugar on..... Very Happy Very Happy

108Cosmic's Winter Pulsar Project - Page 5 Empty Re: Cosmic's Winter Pulsar Project 23rd November 2015, 2:56 pm

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

That's a shame with crank, do get lot with cracks though Sad
as for bore if getting new pistons I would certainly go with rebore as can set clearance spot on . If bores show over 86.1 I would always bore it if intending pop in new pistons & spec clearance to suite pistons & usage.
Most of these 54C's done to much run time or been messed with before so just swapping parts rarely works out well or for long .
Hopefully santa brings you a crank :-S

109Cosmic's Winter Pulsar Project - Page 5 Empty Re: Cosmic's Winter Pulsar Project 23rd November 2015, 4:46 pm

Cosmic73

Cosmic73

Mr B wrote:That's a shame with crank, do get lot with cracks though Sad
as for bore if getting new pistons I would certainly go with rebore as can set clearance spot on . If bores show over 86.1 I would always bore it if intending pop in new pistons & spec clearance to suite pistons & usage.
Most of these 54C's done to much run time or been messed with before so just swapping parts rarely works out well or for long .
Hopefully santa brings you a crank :-S

You might be right Mr B,
I had a word with Mrs Santa and she says that since ive been a good boy all year, she'll let me have a new crankshaft for Christmas.
A company called Tomei sells them but they have a 91mm stroke and call out a sr22det engine, not my sr20det. Is this simply that a 91mm stroke is 2.2l?
They also sell 86.5 pistons with crank and rods as a set,
http://www.importcarparts.co.uk/parts?cat=87&sub=119&sec=1184&var=33&dc=y
Id rather have a new, but like for like crankshaft, i suppose i gotta keep hunting, Very Happy
anyone?

110Cosmic's Winter Pulsar Project - Page 5 Empty Re: Cosmic's Winter Pulsar Project 23rd November 2015, 6:20 pm

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

^ that the stroker kit for 2.2l. not a big fan of that.
keep hunting a used crank or try getting a new oem one, I can still get new cranks here shipped from japan so you should in uk, will be £700 +or- £100 pending who you deal with & luck, I had last one for under £700 but I think likely more now as harder source as lot of this stuff been crossed off parts database via nissan dealers . other option is getting a half cut or engine imported from japan.

111Cosmic's Winter Pulsar Project - Page 5 Empty Re: Cosmic's Winter Pulsar Project 23rd November 2015, 6:27 pm

Cosmic73

Cosmic73

Just checked out Erics and hes got everything i need so ill definitely be sourcing the parts from him.
The only crank he does is the BC 91mm stroker (as does BC and Tomei),
Do you know any company who makes a std 86mm crank?
Cheers  Very Happy

112Cosmic's Winter Pulsar Project - Page 5 Empty Re: Cosmic's Winter Pulsar Project 23rd November 2015, 6:36 pm

Cosmic73

Cosmic73

Cosmic73 wrote:

Just checked out Erics and hes got everything i need so ill definitely be sourcing the parts from him.
The only crank he does is the BC 91mm stroker (as does BC and Tomei),
Do you know any company who makes a std 86mm crank?
Cheers  Very Happy

Typical, Just found this FR one, Embarassed
http://www.frsport.com/Nissan-12200-60J10-OEM-Crankshaft-S13-S14-S15-SR20DE-T--Brand-New_p_16002.html

113Cosmic's Winter Pulsar Project - Page 5 Empty Re: Cosmic's Winter Pulsar Project 23rd November 2015, 6:41 pm

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

Looks like a left testical is gonna have to be sold to pay for the crank lol ..

114Cosmic's Winter Pulsar Project - Page 5 Empty Re: Cosmic's Winter Pulsar Project 23rd November 2015, 6:42 pm

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

^^ That not gtir 54C crank ( 1220054C05 )

115Cosmic's Winter Pulsar Project - Page 5 Empty Re: Cosmic's Winter Pulsar Project 23rd November 2015, 6:55 pm

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

54C crank >
https://www.amayama.com/en/search/?region=172&q=1220054C05

116Cosmic's Winter Pulsar Project - Page 5 Empty Re: Cosmic's Winter Pulsar Project 23rd November 2015, 8:21 pm

Cosmic73

Cosmic73

Mr B wrote:54C crank >
https://www.amayama.com/en/search/?region=172&q=1220054C05

I'm confused now  scratch
is 54c crank and the part number You state the one i should buy? Question

117Cosmic's Winter Pulsar Project - Page 5 Empty Re: Cosmic's Winter Pulsar Project 23rd November 2015, 8:24 pm

Cosmic73

Cosmic73

nomad wrote:Looks like a left testical is gonna have to be sold to pay for the crank lol ..

I sold that one in 2011, good job i've got a spare Very Happy

118Cosmic's Winter Pulsar Project - Page 5 Empty Re: Cosmic's Winter Pulsar Project 23rd November 2015, 8:39 pm

wrc

wrc

Sorry to but in Smile

The gtir crank us the only 19mm crank (bearings) for the Sr. All the other cranks for n/a and s body etc are 17mm.

Gtir crank shares with no other Wink

119Cosmic's Winter Pulsar Project - Page 5 Empty Re: Cosmic's Winter Pulsar Project 23rd November 2015, 8:53 pm

Cosmic73

Cosmic73

wrc wrote:Sorry to but in Smile

The gtir crank us the only 19mm crank (bearings) for the Sr. All the other cranks for n/a and s body etc are 17mm.

Gtir crank shares with no other Wink

So as long as the crank is manufactured for a sr20det engine and sr13 body its compatible for my gtir? Very Happy

120Cosmic's Winter Pulsar Project - Page 5 Empty Re: Cosmic's Winter Pulsar Project 23rd November 2015, 9:01 pm

Cosmic73

Cosmic73

Mr B wrote:^ that the stroker kit for 2.2l. not a big fan of that.
keep hunting a used crank or try getting a new oem one, I can still get new cranks here shipped from japan so you should in uk, will be £700 +or- £100 pending who you deal with & luck, I had last one for under £700 but I think likely more now as harder source as lot of this stuff been crossed off parts database via nissan dealers . other option is getting a half cut or engine imported from japan.

Not a fan of stroked either. Im def gonna buy a new crank, too much risk with a used one pale

Ill talk to Erics tomorrow and see if they can supply one with all the rest of the stuff i need and save on shipping, if not i found a jap company called FR that do them.

Theres also that link you sent, is that where you bought yours from?

121Cosmic's Winter Pulsar Project - Page 5 Empty Re: Cosmic's Winter Pulsar Project 23rd November 2015, 9:36 pm

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

No but similar .
Worth speaking with likes of ICP & any other company that deals with oem parts from japan, some dealer networks in uk may help source one but expect most won't .
Be sure to buy specific 54C crank part number > 1220054C05
don't be talked into using any other crank.

122Cosmic's Winter Pulsar Project - Page 5 Empty Re: Cosmic's Winter Pulsar Project 23rd November 2015, 9:41 pm

Cosmic73

Cosmic73

Mr B wrote:No but similar .
Worth speaking with likes of ICP & any other company that deals with oem parts from japan, some dealer networks in uk may help source one but expect most won't .
Be sure to buy specific 54C crank part number > 1220054C05
don't be talked into using any other crank.

Will do, cheers
Very Happy

123Cosmic's Winter Pulsar Project - Page 5 Empty Re: Cosmic's Winter Pulsar Project 23rd November 2015, 9:57 pm

shroom

shroom

As WRC and Mr B said the GTiR has a specific crank only it has.

All other SR20DET to my knowledge use smaller 17mm so it needs to be GTIR specific 19MM the one Mr B mentions :-)

'Shit' think I need to sell my Sunny!

But woman cant replace a sheep
Oh I wish that for the peace!
But I really cant find my honey
The only one I would give my money
Is one with a great big fleece
And then I would be at peace...

124Cosmic's Winter Pulsar Project - Page 5 Empty Re: Cosmic's Winter Pulsar Project 23rd November 2015, 10:06 pm

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

other cranks could be used if really really stuck but I wouldn't bother while 54C cranks can still be had .
Get your rods checked, if all good you sorted for rods & block out of johns engine & with new or A1 crank & set of forged pistons you looking good.
Plus side is you bought car cheap so putting likes of 2K into it won't hurt too much Very Happy

125Cosmic's Winter Pulsar Project - Page 5 Empty Re: Cosmic's Winter Pulsar Project 23rd November 2015, 10:25 pm

pulsarmoley

pulsarmoley

I also think the gtir crank has different bolt holes/sizes for the flywheel

Everybody needs a bosom for a pillow...

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 5 of 20]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12 ... 20  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum