Gtir Motorsport club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Gtir Motorsport club

Welcome to the largest Nissan Pulsar & Sunny GTI-R Forum. Masses of info, friendly members, cars for sale, lots of spares. Best forum on the net by far. Everything your gtir needs is here.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Rear arches!!!!

+8
houghy_1
johnny gtir
GTI-R US
shroom
FPSChris
toaster55
nomad
pulsar23
12 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

26Rear arches!!!! - Page 2 Empty Re: Rear arches!!!! 7th June 2015, 3:33 pm

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

I have nothing my end mate ...

27Rear arches!!!! - Page 2 Empty Re: Rear arches!!!! 7th June 2015, 5:28 pm

pulsar23

WhatsApp??

28Rear arches!!!! - Page 2 Empty Re: Rear arches!!!! 7th June 2015, 6:39 pm

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

Yeah mate ... drop me your number in pm ...

29Rear arches!!!! - Page 2 Empty Re: Rear arches!!!! 7th June 2015, 9:53 pm

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

Rear arches!!!! - Page 2 IMG-20150607-WA0000

30Rear arches!!!! - Page 2 Empty Re: Rear arches!!!! 7th June 2015, 9:53 pm

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

Rear arches!!!! - Page 2 IMG-20150607-WA0001

31Rear arches!!!! - Page 2 Empty Re: Rear arches!!!! 7th June 2015, 9:58 pm

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

They really arent that bad mate ....

32Rear arches!!!! - Page 2 Empty Re: Rear arches!!!! 7th June 2015, 10:44 pm

Indy

As Leighton said they don't look too bad if you dremel the rust out u should be able to get away with a wee bit of filler of fibreglass but before doing that get rid of surface rust and genolite it will turn the rust to solid metal again then filler sand and spray it up

33Rear arches!!!! - Page 2 Empty Re: Rear arches!!!! 8th June 2015, 7:44 am

gtir_woody

gtir_woody

nomad wrote:Mig welder .... pref anything from 180 amps and above .... as the lower amp machines tend to give poorer weld so it just looks like birdshit  lol ....  the 230 en turbo is a good machine sealey mig 180 is ok also  ... look at duty cycles as the cheaper machines  tend to have lower duty cycles wich means  you cant use it for long at higher amps ... beacuase your only tack welding the panel on it doesnt require to much skill  the skill is in cutting the rust out and cutting the panel to the correct size ... before you start .... tack welding is as it sounds  you are litteraly just placing a blob of weld to fuse the old metal to the new metal  anybody can hold the trigger on the gun and count 3 seconds  then move onto the next tack   ... welds can be ground down  too so its nothing to daunting  if it is abit ropey looking ... its all in the prep really like most things .... you got any pics of your arches  now ????

You make it sound so easy Laughing gives me confidence to hack my car up too Laughing

34Rear arches!!!! - Page 2 Empty Re: Rear arches!!!! 8th June 2015, 12:26 pm

pulsar23

Pictures don't tell the story lol just don't want to do it again

35Rear arches!!!! - Page 2 Empty Re: Rear arches!!!! 8th June 2015, 12:33 pm

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

No your right dan ... cut it out .... i just meant i was expecting it to be worse alot worse ..as from you desrcibed ...

36Rear arches!!!! - Page 2 Empty Re: Rear arches!!!! 8th June 2015, 12:34 pm

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

^ don't look that good to me. no way I would fibreglass that. for sure the inner arch & sill end to arch will be needing some level of work. even if all cut out & welded if pre weld & pre filler treatment not good rust will be back in couple of years due to bare steel edges in the repair & porous coatings .
Most bodyshops are not that good really so worth be fussy on who does the work if planning keep your car for long term.
Like mr nomad says the welding is not that hard but some experience helps. good panel prep & filler work & knowing best paint products to use, panel sealer etc is what makes the job a good one.

37Rear arches!!!! - Page 2 Empty Re: Rear arches!!!! 8th June 2015, 9:34 pm

shroom

shroom

No rust looks good but that is not that bad at all,

Do we have any information on decent panel sealers etc.? I know people use lots of different stuff but it would be good to get a list of some of the most popular seam sealers, fillers, underseal, primers, etc. etc. and also info on welders, and good equipment such as joggler

38Rear arches!!!! - Page 2 Empty Re: Rear arches!!!! 8th June 2015, 10:05 pm

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

Thats a very good idea ... as there is lots of stuff on the market ... some are no more than over priced gimmiks so a list would be a good idea maybe more from use of experiance of whats what ...

39Rear arches!!!! - Page 2 Empty Re: Rear arches!!!! 14th July 2015, 8:43 pm

pulsar23

They have arrived!!!!!!!

40Rear arches!!!! - Page 2 Empty Re: Rear arches!!!! 14th July 2015, 8:50 pm

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

Crack out the grinder Laughing

41Rear arches!!!! - Page 2 Empty Re: Rear arches!!!! 14th July 2015, 9:10 pm

burrows1980

burrows1980

shroom wrote:No rust looks good but that is not that bad at all,

Do we have any information on decent panel sealers etc.? I know people use lots of different stuff but it would be good to get a list of some of the most popular seam sealers, fillers, underseal, primers, etc. etc. and also info on welders, and good equipment such as joggler

I use Upol tiger seal or Starchem Seam sealer, cost wise the upol is around £12 a tube and starchem I get from my local paint shop around £7.  I find the Starchem one much better than upol in terms of applying.  In colder months I tend to put the tube in warm water, easier to apply.  For a smoother finish, dip your finger in some celly thinner.

Looks a bit messy but once painted look really smooth

Rear arches!!!! - Page 2 IMG_0864_zpssei8fas9

Rear arches!!!! - Page 2 IMG_0440_zpsfw5csuoi

Used it around the rear light cluster, and cant really tell its there now

Rear arches!!!! - Page 2 IMG_1049_zpsv9zauzkm

It does contain isocyanates so use in a well ventilated area, wear mask etc

Gaz

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum