Gtir Motorsport club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Gtir Motorsport club

Welcome to the largest Nissan Pulsar & Sunny GTI-R Forum. Masses of info, friendly members, cars for sale, lots of spares. Best forum on the net by far. Everything your gtir needs is here.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Replacing rear arches

+3
11Paul11
fred05
Admin
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Replacing rear arches Empty Replacing rear arches 13th March 2012, 9:00 am

Admin

Admin
Admin
Admin

1. Order your arches!!
2. Have your car in the garage and away from the elements!
3. Strip your quater panel cards off the car, if you want to you can take your rear seats out, they are a fire hazard.
4. Jack the rear of the car up just enough to take the wheels off.
5. take wheels off and arch trims, quater panel mouldings too and rear bumper.
6. Have a look at the arches to see how bad the rust has come through, you may get away with putting a piece of metal in instead of the full arch!

7. Hold the new arch up to your car and mark the shape, just so that you know how much metal to cut away.

8. First cut away the lip, inner and outer { you bond the new arch to the inner later} and see how bad the rust is.

9. Obviously you will see how bad your rust is, mine was bad on the osr so had to cut a lot off but only cut away what you need to.

10. Clean the edges off to bare metal so you can weld to it and to make sure the rust has gone

11. You can apply rust prevention but i would only use rustisol and leave for 24hrs min
12. Cut the edge of the new arch to get rid of the swage { for the 5dr} so that the arch will sit nice to your quater pnl.

13. Mark around the new pnl to your 1/4 and take off, you will be left with an outline, you can trim the new pnl to suit your 1/4 but leave an inch overlap, so you lap weld not butt weld. I hope your with me so far!!
14. Clean up the back of your new pnl and the edge of the front this will enable you to weld.
15. Add weld proof primer to the inside of the new pnl and your 1/4 but leave 5mm from your outline so that you can weld to bare metal and not the primer.
16. You will need to trial fit the arches, put the car back on the wheels, measure from the centre of the hub to bottom of arch so they are not lop sided!!
17. add window bond {good stuff!} to the inside of the new pnl so that it will mate with the inner arch.
18. Put your arch on with help if needed to your markings and clamp on.
19. Mig welder or spot its upto you, i mig weld mine on
20. ONLY tack at 1st starting from the top working evenly to the sides, i got some distortion but id say its normal, 11 yrs experience!!

21. Fire watch is a must, fire ext or a blower n airline, just to watch inside your 1/4 pnls
22. keep tacking until your tacks are 2cm apart
23. knock the heads off with a grinder until they are flat, dont grind too much off as they need to hold the arch on!
24. with a pnl hammer or hammer n chisel, tap the high spots down on the 1/4 pnl, feel it with your hand, the shape off the 1/4 should flow smoothly with no big lumps
25. use an orbital sander with 80 grit paper to sand the area to enable the filler to stick 'key'
26. Blow off the dust, mix up bridging filler and skim the joint you have just welded up

27. Sand down evenly, blow dust off and apply body filler, keep sanding down with a block with 80 grit and apply more if needed, until you think you got here then finish off with 180 grit then 240 grit
28. You need to feel the filler to make sure it flows smoothly with no delves, high n low areas,
29. Make sure once the filler is complete to sand out scratches surrounding the filler to 240 so that the primer doesnt sink into the scratches

30. Degrease and mask up the initial area for primer

31. Primer up

32. once dry block down with 500 until smooth
33. Prime again if needed to fill scratches

34. degrease, mask up the car and around the 1/4 pnl because your ready to spray {NOTE, Im not a prepper n sprayer so the last part is crap! im a panel beater/mechanic lol}

35.Once sprayed up, jack up and take wheels off, use copious amounts of window bond to seal off the back of the arch , then waxoil the balls off it, and the inside of the 1/4 too. MY THOUGHT IS THAT THE REAR WINDOW TRIMS HAVE CLIPS THAT GO THROUGH THE 1/4S TO HOLD THEM IN PLACE, THE WATER {RAIN OR PRESSURE WASHER} GETS THROUGH THESE HOLES AND SITS IN THE ARCHES ROTTING INSIDE OUT....MY THEORY

36. Polish car up, grind the lugs off your arch spats and bond on 'better than screwing into your new arches'

37. Put rear bumper and wheels on and there you go....hope that has covered everything, pm me if your unsure.

Replacing rear arches Th_pulsarrespray174
Replacing rear arches Th_pulsarrespray177
Replacing rear arches Th_pulsarrespray185
Replacing rear arches Th_pulsarrespray186

2Replacing rear arches Empty Re: Replacing rear arches 28th May 2013, 2:07 pm

fred05

fred05
french connection
french connection

Hi, is someone have the part number of the rear arches part you use to do the job?

i called Nissan to have a quote and they have all the rear side available at ££££ cost....

thanks

3Replacing rear arches Empty Re: Replacing rear arches 28th May 2013, 5:39 pm

11Paul11

11Paul11

http://www.carz2.co.uk/6020508-sunny-45dr-p-5884.html

The panels are on there buddy

4Replacing rear arches Empty Re: Replacing rear arches 28th May 2013, 8:06 pm

fred05

fred05
french connection
french connection

So 508 and 509, is that right?

Bargain!

5Replacing rear arches Empty Re: Replacing rear arches 28th May 2013, 8:08 pm

11Paul11

11Paul11

Yep 508 and 509 I ordered some just waiting to get them fitted now

6Replacing rear arches Empty Re: Replacing rear arches 28th May 2013, 8:15 pm

fred05

fred05
french connection
french connection

Great! are they Nissan factory parts or just some adaptable parts? Is the part number same as Nissan ones?

7Replacing rear arches Empty Re: Replacing rear arches 28th May 2013, 9:50 pm

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

I would of thought they are pattern parts fred especially for that price ..... not even sure nissan still make them .

8Replacing rear arches Empty Re: Replacing rear arches 29th May 2013, 6:12 am

fred05

fred05
french connection
french connection

ok, well, i will call nissan in the morning

9Replacing rear arches Empty Re: Replacing rear arches 29th May 2013, 8:46 am

fred05

fred05
french connection
french connection

nothing about these kit by nissan, so just need to buy them on tis website...thanks a lot for all!

10Replacing rear arches Empty Re: Replacing rear arches 1st April 2014, 2:04 am

jaypjay

jaypjay

My arches are in bad shape and this is a must for my car. I have been unsuccessful locating arches in Australia and it seems No one will post who supplies arches in the u.k

Can anyone shed some light on this situation. Looking for a supplier that can post this way. Cost is not an issue.

11Replacing rear arches Empty Re: Replacing rear arches 3rd September 2014, 3:53 am

gtir_woody

gtir_woody

Anyone know if you can still buy these rear arches? I kind of want to replace mine but looking at the easiest way. I also need to do underbody rails. Arghh the joys of wanting a mint shell Crying or Very sad

12Replacing rear arches Empty Re: Replacing rear arches 3rd September 2014, 3:56 am

jaypjay

jaypjay

Yeh you can. I just got a set of rear quarter pannels. Apund £900 for the two tho

13Replacing rear arches Empty Re: Replacing rear arches 3rd September 2014, 4:00 am

gtir_woody

gtir_woody

Wow that price excluding postage to Australia?

14Replacing rear arches Empty Re: Replacing rear arches 3rd September 2014, 4:01 am

jaypjay

jaypjay

Includes..all nissan parts include postage.

15Replacing rear arches Empty Re: Replacing rear arches 3rd September 2014, 4:08 am

gtir_woody

gtir_woody

So through Nissan, I'll look into it. Cheers mate

16Replacing rear arches Empty Re: Replacing rear arches 3rd September 2014, 9:56 am

GTI-R US

GTI-R US
Management
Management

£900 affraid

you can buy them for around £30 a side as stted many time before on here
that's just crazy money

Nissan Performance & Tuning Centre
Services provided

Forge Engine rebuilds to specification
Body Restoration, Fabrication, Repair
Paint refinishing facilities
Ecu re-mapping-Performance upgrades
Auto Diagnostics, Injector cleaning  
Race & Suspension setup
General Servicing, Mots, tyre fitting
Full workshop facilities
http://www.gti-r-us.co.uk www.force500.com

17Replacing rear arches Empty Re: Replacing rear arches 3rd September 2014, 9:57 am

jaypjay

jaypjay

These are the full rear quarters bob.

18Replacing rear arches Empty Re: Replacing rear arches 3rd September 2014, 10:25 am

GTI-R US

GTI-R US
Management
Management

ah right I see

Nissan Performance & Tuning Centre
Services provided

Forge Engine rebuilds to specification
Body Restoration, Fabrication, Repair
Paint refinishing facilities
Ecu re-mapping-Performance upgrades
Auto Diagnostics, Injector cleaning  
Race & Suspension setup
General Servicing, Mots, tyre fitting
Full workshop facilities
http://www.gti-r-us.co.uk www.force500.com

19Replacing rear arches Empty Re: Replacing rear arches 3rd September 2014, 10:41 am

gtir_woody

gtir_woody

Still 900 seems crazy! Almost better off looking a wreck/ shell with good arches to cut out

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum