Gtir Motorsport club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Gtir Motorsport club

Welcome to the largest Nissan Pulsar & Sunny GTI-R Forum. Masses of info, friendly members, cars for sale, lots of spares. Best forum on the net by far. Everything your gtir needs is here.

You are not connected. Please login or register

ongoing build

+19
gtir_woody
ROB_IOW
GTIR James
Bones
Scooby_killer
knights of nee
Greygtir
mreguest
jaypjay
fred05
Digitalfaze
Welling_AL
Concrete-GTIR
houghy_1
pulsarmoley
beau_1990
nomad
BEBB GTIR
GTI-R US
23 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 7]

1ongoing build Empty ongoing build 12th October 2012, 9:57 am

buckym120

buckym120

Managed to get hold of a lock up over winter and as the old girl is getting a bit tired thought it would be a good time to strip her down and have a tidy up.

Although the floor plan is solid it has never been under coated fully (only seals).

So plan is to drop the rear sub frame, powder coat and replace the bushes. same with tie rods

Replace leaky gasket on rear diff and clean it up

Drop and clean fuel tank and replace fuel lines

Replace the exhaust and bushes

Replace the lower arm bushes.

Leaving the engine in situ for the time being as its got 120k on the clock and bound to go bang in the not to distant future so will do the front end then.

ongoing build IMAG1428 ongoing build IMAG1429
ongoing build IMAG1430

Last edited by buckym120 on 18th April 2014, 12:36 pm; edited 1 time in total

2ongoing build Empty Re: ongoing build 12th October 2012, 11:55 am

GTI-R US

GTI-R US
Management
Management

thats a pretty straight looking car on the underside mark

what kind of lift is that the cars on? not seen one like that before

http://www.gti-r-us.co.uk www.force500.com

3ongoing build Empty Re: ongoing build 12th October 2012, 8:22 pm

buckym120

buckym120

Yeah I am really chuffed with how straight it is underneath apart from some clown jacking up on the floor plan when I broke down 2 years ago. I have been really lucky with rot but think that's mainly thanks to an oil leak I had which treated the underneath.

Friend of mine works at Audi southend and they don't mind him doing a few cheeky private jobs

4ongoing build Empty Re: ongoing build 26th October 2012, 7:29 pm

buckym120

buckym120

Managed to picked up a decent second hand exhaust last week to help tidy up the underneath of the car, plus my flexi has seen better days. Turbo back exhaust for £115 was only on the guys car for 6 months and was only used on weekends and in the dry.

ongoing build 2012-10-14_20-41-40

5ongoing build Empty Re: ongoing build 9th March 2013, 8:10 pm

buckym120

buckym120

Though I would start working on the car now the weather has brightened up a little bit. Opened the boot and realised there was water in there, ripped all the carpet and speakers out and found this little patch on the drivers side suspension turret

ongoing build IMAG0177

Passengers side looks fine

ongoing build IMAG0179

6ongoing build Empty Re: ongoing build 10th March 2013, 9:15 am

BEBB GTIR

BEBB GTIR
the one star club
the one star club

common place for rust on that arch, I have it on 2 of my cars, I thinks its from stone chips off the wheels Mad stick plenty of underseal around the suspension I did about 6 coats

7ongoing build Empty Re: ongoing build 10th March 2013, 12:01 pm

buckym120

buckym120

I was wondering why it would go there and not higher up on the join, not looking forward to dropping the sub frame and fuel tanks now though, god knows what I'm going to find

8ongoing build Empty Re: ongoing build 10th March 2013, 12:14 pm

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

I would take a pop as you drive forward the water crap and mud will flick off the wheel up that side so most exposed... at a guess

9ongoing build Empty Re: ongoing build 10th March 2013, 1:46 pm

BEBB GTIR

BEBB GTIR
the one star club
the one star club

yeah is a combo of everything, if the factory underseal (if any) has dropped off etc then water, stones and mud and hitting the most exposed parts of bodywork.

seems funny though how the drivers side is sometimes worse than passenger, considering most of the crap is on the vegre not the middle of the road Question

wouldn't think theres much over the fuel tank as its covered by the tank, subframe and splash pan, if you cant see any rust in the boot then its not bad underneath, give it a good wirebrushing and zinc priming before a couple of coats and it will last another 20 years Very Happy

10ongoing build Empty Re: ongoing build 11th March 2013, 12:26 am

buckym120

buckym120

Boot floor appears to be solid inside, underneath still has the original exhaust heat shield so asking as that's not holding water I should be good ongoing build IMAG0180

ongoing build IMAG0181

Bit concerned with where the water is coming into the boot, so guess me and the hose will be busy next weekend

11ongoing build Empty Re: ongoing build 11th March 2013, 10:32 am

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

Was there actually water inside the boot then bucky ?

12ongoing build Empty Re: ongoing build 11th March 2013, 12:46 pm

buckym120

buckym120

Yeah mate, carpet was soaked. Wasnt sure if it was dampness where the cars been sitting outside the last 2 months without being opened. But dryed it out on Saturday and lifted the carpets up and when I checked Sunday (rained over night) there was a puddle of water in there again

13ongoing build Empty Re: ongoing build 11th March 2013, 2:06 pm

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

Theres a few places really for in the boot i would say get at it with the hose ...spoiler rubber seal for the boot .... around the lights sunroof if you have one and its parked on a hill may run downwards or rear windows oh and ariel think thats about it mate

14ongoing build Empty Re: ongoing build 11th March 2013, 3:46 pm

GTI-R US

GTI-R US
Management
Management

just make sure thats all bone dry before undersealing car marky
if theres any dampness or condensation it will trap the moisture in the metal and if anything make the problem worse

15ongoing build Empty Re: ongoing build 1st April 2013, 5:37 pm

buckym120

buckym120

Well as the weather has been ok today thought i would get back on with stripping the car down. After seeing another project on the OC, i thought it be a good idea to remove the rear bumper and check for rust down near the drainage flaps as the one i see had a fair amount down there, i didnlt have to look too hard.

offside
ongoing build IMAG0255

nearside
ongoing build IMAG0256

both sides will need to be cut out and replaced, just trying to find a replacment panel and thankfully is in a nice easy place to begin learning how to weld (and will be hidden once the bumper and splash guard is back on. (got to love all the hidden water traps)

16ongoing build Empty Re: ongoing build 1st April 2013, 5:45 pm

buckym120

buckym120

also last time i discovered this in the boot, but wasn't brave enough to attack it, in the hope it was just a rust scab on the inside... couple of stabs with a screw driver and i soon realised it was more than a scab and that both skins were rotten.

ongoing build IMAG0178

ongoing build IMAG0251

bit of krust treatment
ongoing build IMAG0253

17ongoing build Empty Re: ongoing build 1st April 2013, 5:50 pm

buckym120

buckym120

As i was feeling brave i thought i would remove the side skirt to see what horrors if any this was hiding and to my relief the outer sill was rust free (on the outside anyway)

ongoing build IMAG0254

18ongoing build Empty Re: ongoing build 1st April 2013, 5:53 pm

beau_1990

beau_1990

its not too bad mate, seen much worse Smile

19ongoing build Empty Re: ongoing build 1st April 2013, 6:09 pm

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

Thats not that bad and atleast its on the inside so you havnt got the arse ache off having to paint it and blend it in .

20ongoing build Empty Re: ongoing build 1st April 2013, 9:04 pm

GTI-R US

GTI-R US
Management
Management

yep no biggy mark, easily sorted

21ongoing build Empty Re: ongoing build 3rd April 2013, 7:46 pm

buckym120

buckym120

I do hope so, as me and a friend will be doing the work, got to cut it out and see how bad it is on the second skin, but yeah thankfully inside the car and I have all the carpets fitted so wont be seen

22ongoing build Empty Re: ongoing build 5th May 2013, 1:26 pm

buckym120

buckym120

Finally pulled my finger out yesterday and dropped the sub frame to have it powder coated and rebushed, been lining the nuts and bolts the past few weeks and have to say every nut came undone first crack and the hardest part was the bloody abs sensor.

Next job is to drop the fuel tank, give it a clean and replace the fuel pipes

ongoing build IMAG0357

ongoing build IMAG0358

ongoing build IMAG0359

23ongoing build Empty Re: ongoing build 5th May 2013, 1:29 pm

buckym120

buckym120

Have a leaky diff to deal with aswell, but Nissan don't sell the seal any more so anyone know where I can get them from?

ongoing build IMAG0360

24ongoing build Empty Re: ongoing build 5th May 2013, 2:56 pm

pulsarmoley

pulsarmoley

Does it say the size on it? Or carefully remove it and take it to a place that does bearings/transmissions etc and they can measure it. Me and my company use essex bearings, never had a problem with them and if they havent got it 99% of the time it will be with them next day.

http://www.essexbearings.co.uk/about.php

Are you polybushing the subframe? Wanna treat mine to some tlc and run the fuel lines i replaced properly.

25ongoing build Empty Re: ongoing build 5th May 2013, 4:06 pm

buckym120

buckym120

Cheers mate will strip it down and see what they say. Yeah Ive got a polybush kit from vssirvine although I'm still waiting for some of the bushes to turn up

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 7]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum