Gtir Motorsport club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Gtir Motorsport club

Welcome to the largest Nissan Pulsar & Sunny GTI-R Forum. Masses of info, friendly members, cars for sale, lots of spares. Best forum on the net by far. Everything your gtir needs is here.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Power problem

+14
Cosmic73
mike74
ADSgtir
GTI-R US
Mr B
GTIR James
ducie54
astarozna
toaster55
Stu
GTi ARGHH
johnny gtir
nomad
PartyPete
18 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down  Message [Page 4 of 6]

76Power problem - Page 4 Empty Re: Power problem 18th February 2017, 9:16 pm

Gostek

Gostek
Events Organiser
Events Organiser

You need to get more useful friends...

77Power problem - Page 4 Empty Re: Power problem 18th February 2017, 10:25 pm

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

Was cause of turbo bearing death as well as working it's butt off to get the pressure . Had thought a fault likely linked to turbo issue ... Wonder how much was leaking back when on dyno ...

78Power problem - Page 4 Empty Re: Power problem 18th February 2017, 10:38 pm

PartyPete

PartyPete
the one star club
the one star club

Mr B wrote:Was cause of turbo bearing death as well as working it's butt off to get the pressure . Had thought a fault likely linked to turbo issue ... Wonder how much was leaking back when on dyno ...

You're the 4th person that's said that's why the turbo let go as it was working over time to compensate! I should imagine it was leaking around the same, as between when it was mapped and up till now I've hardly done any miles in the car as it's been off the road due to you know what issues!
Still going to fit the cooler as well and larger filter just to help it along the way, but pretty confident we've found the issue now, as it genuinely was THAT BAD!

79Power problem - Page 4 Empty Re: Power problem 18th February 2017, 10:50 pm

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

Lol, i said in earlier post tubby likely linked to cause,was expecting manifold/wastegate related ... Surprised it wasn't whistling like train conducter ... Still think some cams could get easy power and compliment your tubby size (although not cheap as want springs too. Up to you though as should see your goal as is if all else good. Check everything and check again then go to tuner and give them the plan and targets . Good luck. Abbey seems been around while all the others went bust or walkies with customers stripped cars lol .. good luck and may the power be with you. About time you properly tested cosmics box or warranty will be expired lol :-)

80Power problem - Page 4 Empty Re: Power problem 18th February 2017, 11:10 pm

PartyPete

PartyPete
the one star club
the one star club

Mr B wrote:Lol, i said in earlier post tubby likely linked to cause,was expecting manifold/wastegate related ... Surprised it wasn't whistling like train conducter ... Still think some cams could get easy power and compliment your tubby size (although not cheap as want springs too. Up to you though as should see your goal as is if all else good. Check everything and check again then go to tuner and give them the plan and targets . Good luck. Abbey seems been around while all the others went bust or walkies with customers stripped cars lol .. good luck and may the power be with you. About time you properly tested cosmics box or warranty will be expired lol :-)

I have a side exit and it's bloody LOUD! So when driving that's the only thing I can hear. Cams would be nice but money restrictions now don't allow. I'll go over things and I'll take it back to the original mapper most likely and talk with him and see what he says. Probs won't be for a month as got other things that need doing as well, obviously when it does I'll post up what the crack is. And as far as the box goes Niel offered a 5 year free warranty including parts and labour so I'm covered lol!

81Power problem - Page 4 Empty Re: Power problem 18th February 2017, 11:31 pm

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

Hahaha

82Power problem - Page 4 Empty Re: Power problem 19th February 2017, 1:21 am

mike74

mike74

Nice one mate, glad it ended up being an easy fix (fingers crossed) Smile

83Power problem - Page 4 Empty Re: Power problem 19th February 2017, 7:11 am

gtir_woody

gtir_woody

Wow that's a decent split, at least you have solved one problem mate

84Power problem - Page 4 Empty Re: Power problem 19th February 2017, 7:34 am

ADSgtir

Good news ! ,
You now have some solid data : your wastegate operating pressure , your pipework is good to 2.5 bar with engine not running , and your tuner was a twat .
I think any intercooler change likely to be pointless , any gain would be offset by an associated loss .
I guess that all the rubber hoses are the same age/quality , so all have the potential to split , that includes the water hoses .
Remember the engine moves when running , this often causes leaks at joins or hoses to blow off .
You need humped pipes , quality clamps , clamp joiners ( they span the join between 2 clamps , a bead of quality RTV on the joiners before sliding them on , and wherever possible welded pipes (as long as there is still some movement possible )
Then you need to check all the boost controller settings and it's pipes .
Check your valve timing , personally I don't like most vernier pulleys - usually aluminium - I have them work harden and become sharp - slicing a timing belt !! , Never seen a factory one ever fail.
Your turbo has probably oversped - check the shaft for play and prey to the tuning god - lol
Check plugs , leads, fluids , throttle cable , wheel nuts , and all general underbonnet stuff, tank of quality fuel - now off to the dyno to get new base run data- due leaks , none of the previous data is valid -
Take spare plugs , with you to the dyno and expect a full day on the rollers

85Power problem - Page 4 Empty Re: Power problem 19th February 2017, 10:53 am

ADSgtir

It would be helpful to people if you explained how you did your leak check,what blanks you needed , what leak check kit , compressor , how long , how hard , etc etc .
Its such a common issue , some leaks are on cars for years !!!!! How to posts specific to the pulsar are gold

86Power problem - Page 4 Empty Re: Power problem 19th February 2017, 10:54 am

ducie54

ducie54

Glad you found the issue. For shits a giggles do a dyno pull with the cams gears as is before you change them. Curious to see how the power differs.

87Power problem - Page 4 Empty Re: Power problem 19th February 2017, 8:29 pm

Gostek

Gostek
Events Organiser
Events Organiser

ADSgtir wrote:It would be helpful to people if you explained how you did your leak check,what blanks you needed , what leak check kit , compressor , how long , how hard , etc etc .
Its such a common issue , some leaks are on cars for years !!!!! How to posts specific to the pulsar are gold

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sealey-Turbo-System-Leakage-Tester-Tool-35mm-90mm-VS2030-/191952261241?hash=item2cb13f1079:g:0JUAAOSwawpXvAe6

This is brilliant bit of kit plugs in to any compressor rly using it at work cowers quite bit of sizes too

Last edited by Gostek on 20th February 2017, 2:22 pm; edited 1 time in total

88Power problem - Page 4 Empty Re: Power problem 20th February 2017, 6:52 am

hagger

Well done for not giving up.May the boost be with you ;-)

89Power problem - Page 4 Empty Re: Power problem 20th February 2017, 7:47 am

johnny gtir

johnny gtir

A reason for everyone to check there cars and use quality pipe joints etc. Constantly check change things to keep on top of it

90Power problem - Page 4 Empty Re: Power problem 20th February 2017, 10:57 am

PartyPete

PartyPete
the one star club
the one star club

My mate had the same kit that gostek had put the link up to, was very VERY useful. We also checked it from the turbo all the way through and there were no more leaks, were going to replace all of the silicone pipes soon with new ones to be on the safe side and hopefully to future proof it for a while! We also removed the carbon canister as it was blocked and this may be another reason my car was struggling to idle.  I will ask the tuner to do a run as it is (as long as it's safe as I can imagine now it will be running lean as fuck if it was mapped with a huge air leak(s). And I'll ask him if he feels the cams need adjustment or the boost controller etc etc as I'm determined this time will be the one where it achieves what I set out to. Ads the turbo has just been fully rebuilt this month including new exhaust housing and larger exhaust wheel and hasn't been used so the turbo is fine, part from one run to do the pressure test on the cooler, Think I'll replace the Leeds and dizzy cap as they have been on there since I bought the car and fit that before mapping. I will post up the graphs after got all to see

91Power problem - Page 4 Empty Re: Power problem 20th February 2017, 8:37 pm

ADSgtir

What im thinking is to fit a permanent schrader valve (tyre valve)into the pipe work at a handy position,then you need 2 blanks - now you have a permanent test point that you can use a tyre inflator . you can now use a tyre pressure guage to measure the pressure drop if any.
checking leaks is now an easy regular maint job .
The overspeed comment is because - you can easily overspeed the turbo with a split pipe and high boost

92Power problem - Page 4 Empty Re: Power problem 21st February 2017, 7:16 am

Cosmic73

Cosmic73

ADSgtir wrote:What im thinking is to fit a permanent schrader valve (tyre valve)into the pipe work at a handy position,then you need 2 blanks - now you have a permanent test point that you can use a tyre inflator . you can now use a tyre pressure guage to measure the pressure drop if any.
checking leaks is now an easy regular maint job .
The overspeed comment is because - you can easily overspeed the turbo with a split pipe and high boost

That's a top tip!
goodpost

93Power problem - Page 4 Empty Re: Power problem 22nd February 2017, 2:50 pm

GTI-R US

GTI-R US
Management
Management

Glad you found those leaks Pete as that will as you stated mess with the fuelling big time.

Air is being drawn in on ''what should be'' metered side of maf which can not be monitored by maf and in turn ecu alike, Same goes for the vacuum pipes being split.
Shocking is all i can say Shocked to even attempt to map a car around that is in-excusable and very poor!

Hope it all works out for you with the other bits done, but still think those cams are setup wrong
Do as Adsgtir suggested.......try a run with things as they are and then see where your at with the afr's, power & torque curve. then if not right then sort cams out.

Nissan Performance & Tuning Centre
Services provided

Forge Engine rebuilds to specification
Body Restoration, Fabrication, Repair
Paint refinishing facilities
Ecu re-mapping-Performance upgrades
Auto Diagnostics, Injector cleaning  
Race & Suspension setup
General Servicing, Mots, tyre fitting
Full workshop facilities
http://www.gti-r-us.co.uk www.force500.com

94Power problem - Page 4 Empty Re: Power problem 1st March 2017, 11:10 am

PartyPete

PartyPete
the one star club
the one star club

Well the car is booked in at the guy near me, got a day off work and he's going to have the day at it so he can adjust the cams, he said the cover will have to be off Around 6 or so times to adjust them so there best suited if that makes sense! So watch this space.....

95Power problem - Page 4 Empty Re: Power problem 1st March 2017, 11:30 am

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

Sounds about right. worth having new rocker gasket and plug seals handy if current gasket old.
can't optimize cams in one or 2 goes.
Fingers crossed get good result ...

96Power problem - Page 4 Empty Re: Power problem 11th March 2017, 9:55 pm

PartyPete

PartyPete
the one star club
the one star club

Car is back together with new intercooler, also did a leak down test and that's great, but the car STILL won't tick over, it'll start, run for 30 seconds ish then eventually leans out and cuts out unless I blip the throttle! Disconnect the maf and it cuts out straight away, checkec wiring etc and all seems fine. Not sure if it's the map but any one else have any ideas? I'd like to sort it myself before it goes for mapping in 2 weeks

97Power problem - Page 4 Empty Re: Power problem 12th March 2017, 7:13 am

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

I would check water temp​ sensor to ecu for values to see if seems in right range.
Throttle position switch, fuel pressure and intake pressure test agaiin if not done after new cooler fitted.
Sounds like it fine while has bit of extra fuel for initial start .
Can't see it being totally mapping as assume did idle okay for some period of time .

98Power problem - Page 4 Empty Re: Power problem 12th March 2017, 7:50 am

PartyPete

PartyPete
the one star club
the one star club

It all went like this that night the turbo went basically. Ok, I'm not sure if there's a link on here but could you tell me how to check for values, what exactly do I need to do and what are the correct values as I can attempt to do that today, wiring isn't my strong point but I will try

99Power problem - Page 4 Empty Re: Power problem 12th March 2017, 9:17 am

shroom

shroom

Poor old Pete. Didnt realise you had been having even more trouble... hopefully your on the right road now.

'Shit' think I need to sell my Sunny!

But woman cant replace a sheep
Oh I wish that for the peace!
But I really cant find my honey
The only one I would give my money
Is one with a great big fleece
And then I would be at peace...

100Power problem - Page 4 Empty Re: Power problem 12th March 2017, 9:31 am

PartyPete

PartyPete
the one star club
the one star club

I'm actually starting to wonder what I actually like about this car any more tbh. Any way, just ordered new plugs, dizzy and arm and water temp sensor!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 4 of 6]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum