Gtir Motorsport club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Gtir Motorsport club

Welcome to the largest Nissan Pulsar & Sunny GTI-R Forum. Masses of info, friendly members, cars for sale, lots of spares. Best forum on the net by far. Everything your gtir needs is here.

You are not connected. Please login or register

New problem

+2
johnny gtir
PartyPete
6 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1New problem Empty New problem 25th December 2016, 10:45 am

PartyPete

PartyPete
the one star club
the one star club

So I was driving through derby last night and really starting to enjoy the car, I went round a sharp corner and as I only had a quarter of a tank I got fuel starvation (this is probably totally unrelated but thought I'd drop it in there) the usual momentary pops and bangs happened (for like a split second)
Any way, probably 5 minutes after that I felt a slight hesitation, I thought nothing of it.....then again.....then I noticed my afr readings were going very VERY LEAN and well into the red and the car hesitating even more...got to the girlfriends house switched it off,grabbed her and some pressies and got back in the car to make the return journey home,on any thing other than a very VERY LIGHT throttle its hesitating and the afrs are extremely high again......then all of a sudden a noise starts to develop,it sounds like a firework being set off without the bang at the end, a very loud whistle/wining noise. At this point I turned round and went back to the gfs house and left the car there.
I'm thinking perhaps a boost leak? But would that not cause it to run very rich? When I've blown pipes off before it's blatantly obvious and the car comes to a stop, I've not had chance to have a good luck yet but there was nothing obvious (literally had a look for 30 seconds).
So... thoughts,ideas,things to check etc?
Won't be getting the car back until tomorrow now. santa

2New problem Empty Re: New problem 25th December 2016, 12:55 pm

johnny gtir

johnny gtir

Boost leak
What you got fuel pump wise ? Could it of come loose on cornering hence lean and pipe off it and that the funny noise or is noise from engine bay ?

3New problem Empty Re: New problem 25th December 2016, 2:07 pm

Gostek

Gostek
Events Organiser
Events Organiser

Get yourself one of those....
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VS2030-Sealey-Tools-Turbo-System-Leakage-Tester-Engine-Leak-Detection-Kits-/311669115717?hash=item4890ed4b45:g:rBwAAOSwExJXog95

I've been fighting with boost leak lately, it would run lumpy as hell on tick over when you'd floor it it was sounding like machine gun was fired... What confused me it had high lift cams so I've thought that was cause of lumpy idle. But like you've said you'd expect it to run lean on tick over and very rich on boost. Another thing I've come across (you might have two faults sometimes) was exhaust manifold leak, wide band didn't have enough exhaust gas to measure and it was showing lean.

4New problem Empty Re: New problem 25th December 2016, 3:05 pm

PartyPete

PartyPete
the one star club
the one star club

I'm thinking (hoping) boost leak, I have a walbro 255, the noise is coming from the engine bay.....

5New problem Empty Re: New problem 25th December 2016, 5:58 pm

johnny gtir

johnny gtir

Blow on manifold

6New problem Empty Re: New problem 25th December 2016, 6:34 pm

Cosmic73

Cosmic73

You Might have picked up some crud from the fuel tank and blocked the filter?

7New problem Empty Re: New problem 25th December 2016, 6:35 pm

PartyPete

PartyPete
the one star club
the one star club

I could have yes but wouldn't explain the noise it was making, never heard a car make a noise like that before...

8New problem Empty Re: New problem 25th December 2016, 7:08 pm

PartyPete

PartyPete
the one star club
the one star club

But would an exhaust manifold leak cause the holding back?

9New problem Empty Re: New problem 25th December 2016, 7:09 pm

Gostek

Gostek
Events Organiser
Events Organiser

PartyPete wrote:But would an exhaust manifold leak cause the holding back?
Not really but you might have developed two faults at once sort of thing...

10New problem Empty Re: New problem 25th December 2016, 8:44 pm

johnny gtir

johnny gtir

Det sensor what Ecu you got. If it's gone wrong fuel wise would it retard ignition

11New problem Empty Re: New problem 25th December 2016, 8:44 pm

mike74

mike74

I agree with cosmic. Sounds like you've either blocked your fuel filter or injectors with shit from the tank. The funny sounds you're hearing could be carbon deposits burning off in the manifold or exhaust

12New problem Empty Re: New problem 25th December 2016, 8:52 pm

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

I would check all boost hoses and vacuum pipes in depth first for splits bulges and fitting ...

13New problem Empty Re: New problem 25th December 2016, 9:42 pm

PartyPete

PartyPete
the one star club
the one star club

I'm going to start with all pipes and hoses and manifolds etc first, if nothing then fuel filter just to eliminate that and go from there
It's a gems ecu Johnny
It doesn't make the noise when you Rev it, only when driving under load...again that to me would say boost leak
And the noise isn't the noise of something burning
But if it was a boost leak why would it be showing leaning out scratch Is it possible to lean out with a boost leak?

14New problem Empty Re: New problem 25th December 2016, 11:38 pm

Cosmic73

Cosmic73

I'm just relieved its not your box,
Very Happy

15New problem Empty Re: New problem 26th December 2016, 12:49 am

mike74

mike74

If the leak was between the turbo and maf then yes it could run lean

16New problem Empty Re: New problem 27th December 2016, 11:02 am

PartyPete

PartyPete
the one star club
the one star club

New problem 82BC448C-7422-468B-88B7-ADF265822C84_zps7wuaewxs

Right, this is what I've found so far (and the only thing) turbo looks a little worse for wear and is starting to score the snail, this would explain the noise I was hearing, but would it possibly explain the leaning out (if the turbo was stalling and reducing air flow surely it would run leaner??) all the pipes look in good order

17New problem Empty Re: New problem 27th December 2016, 11:48 am

PartyPete

PartyPete
the one star club
the one star club

That noise is 110% coming from the turbo

18New problem Empty Re: New problem 27th December 2016, 12:12 pm

PartyPete

PartyPete
the one star club
the one star club

New problem 1F1CA543-EA1E-4EE9-9CDC-B072E18D9AA3_zps5x8gd54m

My afr's, if the sound isn't working it's green when my foot is off and red when giving it some throttle

19New problem Empty Re: New problem 27th December 2016, 8:04 pm

Gostek

Gostek
Events Organiser
Events Organiser

So does the bastard thing got enough play for compressor to touch the housing??

20New problem Empty Re: New problem 27th December 2016, 8:12 pm

johnny gtir

johnny gtir

How old is turbo spec etc ? Oil feed and drain set up ?

21New problem Empty Re: New problem 27th December 2016, 8:27 pm

PartyPete

PartyPete
the one star club
the one star club

Yes it has mike, It's been on the car for ages, bought it second hand from a member on here, he said it had been rebuilt, it's done a good few thousand miles in my ownership, doubt anti lag has helped! Can that cause it to run lean though?!?! That's what I really want to know

22New problem Empty Re: New problem 27th December 2016, 8:32 pm

Gostek

Gostek
Events Organiser
Events Organiser

In theory yes as the impeller would be stalling not getting enough measured air so ecu wouldn't give you more fuel or something like that lol... Contact Midlands Turbos see if they could convert it to gtx or Turbo dynamics...

23New problem Empty Re: New problem 28th December 2016, 12:44 am

PartyPete

PartyPete
the one star club
the one star club

If it's stalling surely it would be getting less air then more fuel scratch , I would but can't afford it, going to just get it rebuilt

24New problem Empty Re: New problem 28th December 2016, 7:45 am

Gostek

Gostek
Events Organiser
Events Organiser

If it's stalling it's not getting air through maf so ecu only give you fuel for what's measured... If it would be boost leak ecu would give yoi fuel for air which escaped through leak

25New problem Empty Re: New problem 28th December 2016, 8:13 am

PartyPete

PartyPete
the one star club
the one star club

That makes more sense now

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum