Gtir Motorsport club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Gtir Motorsport club

Welcome to the largest Nissan Pulsar & Sunny GTI-R Forum. Masses of info, friendly members, cars for sale, lots of spares. Best forum on the net by far. Everything your gtir needs is here.

You are not connected. Please login or register

ECU questions and advice.

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1ECU questions and advice. Empty ECU questions and advice. 17th November 2019, 11:22 pm

TOMMYPRU.GTIR

TOMMYPRU.GTIR

Hi.
I'm currently looking into an ecu for my car.  I'm looking to be running about the 400bhp mark when complete.
I was going to go with nistune, but after reading a few things about people having issues with it and it not being the best to tune I'm thinking of going down a different path.  Please let me know if you think that last statement is wrong about nistune.

So im going to look at stand alone ecus. Can someone answer a few questions for me.

Firstly is going standalone a much better option than a daughter board like nistune. Or is there not much difference.

Next about apexi power fc. Is this the only pulsar specific stand alone ecu. Meaning that it just plugs directly into the pulsars loom without any loom modifications. If there are others please list them for me. But obviously I need ones to run the power above.  

Also I was hoping to run a R35 GTR maf sensor with nistune. Which I was informed was possible. Would I be able to do this with apexi power fc or other stand alone ecus.

Basically guys I'm after an ecu that is plug and play and at a reasonable price.   I dont really want to be pulling the loom out or hacking it to bits at this stage.  Unless there are massive advantages to it.  I also dont really want spend thousands on an ecu..... again, unless there are massive advantages to it.

Please let me know what my options are or any advice you can give me on this subject.
Thanks tom

2ECU questions and advice. Empty Re: ECU questions and advice. 18th November 2019, 10:12 pm

ducie54

ducie54

LINK do a Gti-r board that fits in the stock case. Uses a internal Map sensor so no need for a R35 MAF. Would highly recommend a CAN based wide-band. That way your not having to worry about offsets.

You can spend big dollars on expensive ECU's and still get shit results from a tuner that tells you he knows his stuff. More to it than the highest figure. HP figure has nothing to do with which ECU is best, You need to know what features you want or may require and what ECU the local tuner is happy to play with. If you plan to be hands on with it just download the various software's and have a play around.

Hope that helps.

3ECU questions and advice. Empty Re: ECU questions and advice. 19th November 2019, 4:49 pm

TOMMYPRU.GTIR

TOMMYPRU.GTIR

It helps a lot. Thanks.

I will speak with the tuner and see what there recommendation would be and what they are confident on getting the best out of.

When you say a CAN based wide band. What does CAN based mean. I have a wide band already you see. Pro sport one.

Thanks tom.

4ECU questions and advice. Empty Re: ECU questions and advice. 19th November 2019, 8:49 pm

ducie54

ducie54

Normally a wideband controller sends a 0-5v signal back to the ECU. What happens is this voltage can drift due to ground offset, these widebands should be tested against another for comparisons. Normally the dyno operators. With aftermarket ECU's it is possible to adjust the calibration to correct this offset to make the readings the same. CAN widebands don't have this issue and also have sensor diagnostics that is sent to the ECU. When using closes loop lambda and a sensor faults the sensor diagnostics lock out closed loop.

Here is an example of a cheap CAN wideband.
https://www.14point7.com/products/spartan-3-adv

5ECU questions and advice. Empty Re: ECU questions and advice. 19th November 2019, 9:57 pm

Gostek

Gostek
Events Organiser
Events Organiser

Have look at ecumasters emu classic or black. I've got classic in my car for over a year now couldn't be happier. They come with wide band controller built in. It is wire in ecu but you can get pnp adaptor. I actually sell fit and map them. Done quite few of them on pulsar (full loom with cop and pnp).

Talking about can lambda... Ecumasters are bringing their own one as well...

https://bbmgarage.co.uk/

6ECU questions and advice. Empty Re: ECU questions and advice. 19th November 2019, 9:57 pm

Gostek

Gostek
Events Organiser
Events Organiser

Have look at ecumasters emu classic or black. I've got classic in my car for over a year now couldn't be happier. They come with wide band controller built in. It is wire in ecu but you can get pnp adaptor. I actually sell fit and map them. Done quite few of them on pulsar (full loom with cop and pnp).

Talking about can lambda... Ecumasters are bringing their own one as well...

7ECU questions and advice. Empty Re: ECU questions and advice. 21st November 2019, 3:28 pm

TOMMYPRU.GTIR

TOMMYPRU.GTIR

Ducie54... Thanks for the wideband info. I've learnt something there thanks. Again I'm going to speak with the tuner about the CAN wideband and get there opinion.

Gostek... I have had a look at the ecumasters emu in my research. Was reading from your website and the bits you've put on here.... could you PM me some prices that include an install and set up by yourself. 1 question. do you have to do the cop conversion. Im just looking to keep costs down that's all.

Thanks Tom

8ECU questions and advice. Empty Re: ECU questions and advice. 22nd November 2019, 5:47 am

ducie54

ducie54

If you can get a ECU like the one emu that has the wideband built it even better. Unless you ever plan to fit the ECU into another car just cut the plug off the std harness and crimp om the pins to suit the emu.

You can use the factory AFM wires to wire in a IAT sensor but would need another small harness for the wideband.

9ECU questions and advice. Empty Re: ECU questions and advice. 23rd November 2019, 2:41 pm

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

While I wouldn't buy a nistune new these days due to standalones being far more capable of introducing better technology at affordable cost I wouldn't overlook option of used nistune if your tuning goals not too extreme .
Generally plenty tuners able work with nistune and they do job quite well for more normal tuning goals .
Most of it will come down to what you willing spend, who you got to map it and the real power and usage you got planned .
Good engine build and supporting parts get pretty spendy and these cars heading towards 30yrs old so need lot more money spent make a full package reliable 400+ car than did 15yrs ago .
What ever route choose just be sure have some reserve budget for unseen work get the car sorted right .

10ECU questions and advice. Empty Re: ECU questions and advice. 24th November 2019, 1:37 pm

Gostek

Gostek
Events Organiser
Events Organiser

Mr B wrote:While I wouldn't buy a nistune new these days due to standalones being far more capable of introducing better technology at affordable cost I wouldn't overlook option of used nistune if your tuning goals not too extreme .
Generally plenty tuners able work with nistune and they do job quite well for more normal tuning goals .
Most of it will come down to what you willing spend, who you got to map it and the real power and usage you got planned .
Good engine build and supporting parts get pretty spendy and these cars heading towards 30yrs old so need lot more money spent make a full package reliable 400+ car than did 15yrs ago .
What ever route choose just be sure have some reserve budget for unseen work get the car sorted right .

Thing is tuners might be able to work with nistune but loads of them refuse to do so. I was actually making compartments price wise nistune against cheaper standalone and if you'd take nistun boost controller z32 maf any afr gauge fit it all and map it you'd came circa £200 short of standalone... Another thing with standalone is much better driveability off boost...

11ECU questions and advice. Empty Re: ECU questions and advice. 24th November 2019, 5:51 pm

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

^
I like both and think both great options pending on actual goals/needs/budget ...
You can quite simply get a gtir set up for mapping nistune route (used) for very little outlay and very little fuss and have very good end result .

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum