Gtir Motorsport club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Gtir Motorsport club

Welcome to the largest Nissan Pulsar & Sunny GTI-R Forum. Masses of info, friendly members, cars for sale, lots of spares. Best forum on the net by far. Everything your gtir needs is here.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Advice please!

+2
nomad
Girl racer
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Advice please! Empty Advice please! 16th March 2014, 10:15 pm

Girl racer

Girl racer

Hello All,

My car has started an intermittent fault, once warm driving along, for a second it feels as though it switches off, no ignition lights come on, then its all ok???
Rich is going to flash code it this week, just wondered if there are any common faults that you know of? I have just put a new Walbro fuel pump in, cleaned the air flow meter. Trying to find out what the problem is before the RR day!  Smile 

Thanks,

Kerime

2Advice please! Empty Re: Advice please! 16th March 2014, 10:28 pm

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

Loose Battery terminal connection ...?

3Advice please! Empty Re: Advice please! 16th March 2014, 10:30 pm

Girl racer

Girl racer

nomad wrote:Loose Battery terminal connection ...?

Checked that thanks, was thinking more if its a MAF sensor?

4Advice please! Empty Re: Advice please! 16th March 2014, 10:38 pm

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

Its not the terminal itself its one of the connectors before it if that makes sense .... i thought if the maf was playing about it would make it run badly not cut out ? Have you re earthed it ?

5Advice please! Empty Re: Advice please! 16th March 2014, 10:43 pm

Girl racer

Girl racer

Ah, that's interesting, will check the terminals to the battery, that makes sense now! The air flow meter had an extra earth wire running to it when I got the car back but Rich left it disconnected...

6Advice please! Empty Re: Advice please! 16th March 2014, 11:04 pm

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

Mine has been re earthed and seems fine ... its never  a bad thing ...you think it may be an electrical issue if its cutting out wort of thing ?

7Advice please! Empty Re: Advice please! 17th March 2014, 12:09 pm

GTI-R US

GTI-R US
Management
Management

more than likely an immobilizer fault, had the same thing with 2 cars so removed it then all was good.
obviously check all the main ignition first though to make sure theres not a bad connection somewhere

http://www.gti-r-us.co.uk www.force500.com

8Advice please! Empty Re: Advice please! 17th March 2014, 12:48 pm

Stu

Stu
Admin
Admin

I would check the red plugs on the battery, if I remember right, the one that comes from the alternator is split and has a small piece of wire between the two red plugs.
That tends to snap in the plug over years of use.
Its usually covered in white electrical paste on the red plugs.

http://www.j10-meets.co.uk

9Advice please! Empty Re: Advice please! 17th March 2014, 1:45 pm

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

Thats the one i was on about as stu mentioned  Wink

10Advice please! Empty Re: Advice please! 17th March 2014, 2:00 pm

Girl racer

Girl racer

GTI-R US wrote:more than likely an immobilizer fault, had the same thing with 2 cars so removed it then all was good.
obviously check all the main ignition first though to make sure theres not a bad connection somewhere

The alarm isnt that old, I have to have the alarm and immobilser for the insurance.

Will check that out, thanks for your advice everyone  Smile

It is almost like the problem I had with the Cherry, that was distributor, i just wondered if Pulsars have a certain thing that goes wrong with them?

11Advice please! Empty Re: Advice please! 17th March 2014, 4:15 pm

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

Yes they do .. its made by nissan  Laughing

12Advice please! Empty Re: Advice please! 17th March 2014, 7:48 pm

johnny gtir

johnny gtir

Maybe rich is thinking as some others do with the earth a few people dont like the idea including a couple of mappers

13Advice please! Empty Re: Advice please! 17th March 2014, 7:51 pm

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

Whys that johnny ?

14Advice please! Empty Re: Advice please! 17th March 2014, 7:56 pm

Hardy172cup

Hardy172cup
the one star club
the one star club

johnny gtir wrote:Maybe rich is thinking as some others do with the earth a few people dont like the idea including a couple of mappers

Interesting, I wonder why some don't like the idea of an extra earth? I can't see it doing any harm?
My car has an extra earth in the MAF going straight to the negative terminal of the battery, I was thinking of relocating it to the chassis instead of the battery terminal.

15Advice please! Empty Re: Advice please! 17th March 2014, 8:06 pm

johnny gtir

johnny gtir

Now dont quote me on this. I am a sparky and stuff like cctv if you power or earth it from two points can cause interferiance earth ground loop.its something similar with smaller voltages on the car all earths run from the plenum to or through the ecu and certain things like the maf dual earthed re earthed can cause more problems than helping the issue. As always my wording of the explaination is crap but i know what i mean lol. I write this and one of my own car's maf is re earthed and so are probably 90% of peoples

16Advice please! Empty Re: Advice please! 17th March 2014, 8:33 pm

Hardy172cup

Hardy172cup
the one star club
the one star club

Kind of makes sense mate, I'm no electrician but I get were your coming from lol that might even be my issue with the misfire I have for all i know, might be worth me disconnecting that extra earth and see if it makes any difference

17Advice please! Empty Re: Advice please! 17th March 2014, 8:40 pm

johnny gtir

johnny gtir

Doubt it mate so many others have it done inc one of my R's but something is causing your problem you set your tps ?

18Advice please! Empty Re: Advice please! 17th March 2014, 8:45 pm

Hardy172cup

Hardy172cup
the one star club
the one star club

No I haven't mate, I wouldn't know how. I'm a beginner when it comes to mechanics I'm just trying to do whatever I'm capable of doing on my car without having to take it to a garage and pay a fortune Laughing

19Advice please! Empty Re: Advice please! 17th March 2014, 8:56 pm

johnny gtir

johnny gtir

Sure ther is a link on here somewhere not so much missing but makes sure all is reading inline with throttle position

20Advice please! Empty Re: Advice please! 17th March 2014, 9:41 pm

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

Yeah but arent all earths ultimatley ground to the chasis ?

21Advice please! Empty Re: Advice please! 17th March 2014, 11:14 pm

johnny gtir

johnny gtir

Yes in theory resistance on thev reading it was ages ago made sense at the time i will have a look back and see if i can find it somewhere

22Advice please! Empty Re: Advice please! 17th March 2014, 11:57 pm

Girl racer

Girl racer

Thanks everyone for the replies, will look at the red plug to the battery  Smile

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum