Gtir Motorsport club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Gtir Motorsport club

Welcome to the largest Nissan Pulsar & Sunny GTI-R Forum. Masses of info, friendly members, cars for sale, lots of spares. Best forum on the net by far. Everything your gtir needs is here.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Timing Chain Tensioner

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Timing Chain Tensioner Empty Timing Chain Tensioner 11th June 2016, 6:55 pm

burrows1980

burrows1980

Hi,

Is there any advantage or reason for running a fine tooth timing chain tensioner over a standard tensioner?

Saw one listed by Conceptua Tuning, was wondering if this will allow more tension on a used chain?

Gaz

2Timing Chain Tensioner Empty Re: Timing Chain Tensioner 11th June 2016, 7:30 pm

Cosmic73

Cosmic73

Tension is determined by the hydraulic pressure so i dont think it would change much, Smile

3Timing Chain Tensioner Empty Re: Timing Chain Tensioner 11th June 2016, 7:52 pm

burrows1980

burrows1980

Ahh right, my current one is slack, not tensioning the chain enough when hand rotating the engine.. so when cranking and engine starting its likely to tension properly then?

In my build thread I mentioned about when I fitted it during the engine rebuild it was fine, just before I dropped the engine in I removed it again to replace the O ring, fitting it is where I got the problem of it not clicking in or holding on the ratchet, causing the chain to droop slightly and stop the engine rotating Shocked Fiddled with it and got it to lock, but not 100% confident its right, so looking to replace with a new one. COnfused of why there is normal toothed and fine...

4Timing Chain Tensioner Empty Re: Timing Chain Tensioner 11th June 2016, 8:06 pm

Cosmic73

Cosmic73

Yes, once oil pressure is fed in it pushes the tensioner piston out,
The teeth are simply ratchets to prevent the piston from sliding back when the engine is switched off snd pressure reduces.
So on start up theres only a minimum amount of chain whip,
The conceptua teeth would probably be machined from existing tools to save costs, hence the slight change in size,

If its still slack you may at the limits of piston travel and need new pads or chain or both, Neutral

5Timing Chain Tensioner Empty Re: Timing Chain Tensioner 11th June 2016, 8:44 pm

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

Later tensioner such as n1 get used a lot as they have finer ratchet which allows more locking point increments thus reducing chain slack/slap.
ve and n1 has these as standard and if order one from Nissan you will get revised fine tooth one.
Slack issues can be ratchet problem on tensioner or oil pressure at tensioner, worn/stretched chain or worn guides, guides and faulty or dirty tensioner the usual. I always fit new tensioner on a rebuild at the least as they known be troublesome and moving to revised ones is not bad thing to do .

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum