Gtir Motorsport club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Gtir Motorsport club

Welcome to the largest Nissan Pulsar & Sunny GTI-R Forum. Masses of info, friendly members, cars for sale, lots of spares. Best forum on the net by far. Everything your gtir needs is here.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Water leak

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Water leak Empty Water leak 2nd May 2016, 6:00 pm

Mark Ager

Just noticed a water leak, it tracks down on to the exhaust. From under neath i can't quite see its origin looks like just above the oil filter. I can see 2 medium size water pipes running left to right they look ok. Anyone got any ideas?

I've started to remove the inlet manifold got all the fixings released but it won't quite slide off the studs I've removed the fuel rail and most the breathers but still won't slide over what else do I need to release?

Any advice appreciated

2Water leak Empty Re: Water leak 2nd May 2016, 6:30 pm

johnny gtir

johnny gtir

Probably leaking when it's hot and expanding as you say sometimes takes a while to notice as drops onto exhaust. Could be one of the pipes on oil cooler itself the two short ones. If it is them I would possibly go in from the bottom.

What's got it one of the wires to the plugs ?

3Water leak Empty Re: Water leak 2nd May 2016, 6:42 pm

Mark Ager

Ah if there are water pipes connected to the oil cooler could definitely be one of them, it's real hard to get to from underneath I guess drop the exhaust off and remover the oil filter may give me enough space. Yeah only leaks once warm and have to rev it a bit to. But it's only going to get worse

Is the inlet manifold removeable from above? Or is it a nightmare to get off?

4Water leak Empty Re: Water leak 2nd May 2016, 7:24 pm

Stu

Stu
Admin
Admin

You have to un clip the plugs in the back of the plenum and theres also water hoses on it if they havent been removed already and looped.
It will lift off easily enough.
You also have a vacuum off the brake master that runs over the top of the plenum.
From memory thats all that holds it from the back.

5Water leak Empty Re: Water leak 2nd May 2016, 7:30 pm

Mark Ager

Ok I haven't disconnected anything from underneath the plenum can I get to the hoses ok from the right I guess? Where are the plugs? I have removed the clip holding the vacuum so that's not a problem.

6Water leak Empty Re: Water leak 2nd May 2016, 7:52 pm

johnny gtir

johnny gtir

As you look at it centre ish and to the left for plugs

7Water leak Empty Re: Water leak 3rd May 2016, 11:17 am

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

I would consider doing all rear engine water pipes if they originals/look poor .
nothing worse than gaining access for one leak & couple months later having another rear engine pipe leaking.
They all available oem nissan & not overly expensive, cheaper silicon hose kits are available but they don't fit as well or last 25yrs like oem originals ...

8Water leak Empty Re: Water leak 3rd May 2016, 3:02 pm

Mark Ager

Yeah was definitely going to change everything I can get to itll just be trying to explain it to Nissan will be the problem

9Water leak Empty Re: Water leak 3rd May 2016, 4:22 pm

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

Most of the rear hoses are listed on here, I think mr burrows had listed them (P/N and price) in his build thread.
you can pull up most of them on nissan fast or the online Nissan4u .

10Water leak Empty Re: Water leak 3rd May 2016, 5:50 pm

Stu

Stu
Admin
Admin

I had to take my plenum off this afternoon. Burst hose...
Had it off and back on in a couple of hours Smile

11Water leak Empty Re: Water leak 3rd May 2016, 5:55 pm

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

^ but you are the plenum & vacuum hose master. you probably had enough practice to do it blind folded working outside in rain or snow :-D lol
Like most things R related it can be a cock first time but once you got working method & no bodges to contend with it all quite simple .
First plenum & gearbox I ever done on an R wasn't the quickest lol :-)
Good thing with jap cars is even if looks like something not removable through small access gaps you can bet it can be done as they quite good on thinking these things into the design .

12Water leak Empty Re: Water leak 3rd May 2016, 8:52 pm

Stu

Stu
Admin
Admin

Mr B wrote:^ but you are the plenum & vacuum hose master. you probably had enough practice to do it blind folded working outside in rain or snow :-D lol
Like most things R related it can be a cock first time but once you got working method & no bodges to contend with it all quite simple .
First plenum & gearbox I ever done on an R wasn't the quickest lol :-)
Good thing with jap cars is even if looks like something not removable through small access gaps you can bet it can be done as they quite good on thinking these things into the design .
This is true lol i have had the plenum off loads of times. It gave me an opportunity to check everything behind there and tidy up some wires Smile
Sun was shining this time. And the engine was still hot so i was warm lol

13Water leak Empty Re: Water leak 3rd May 2016, 9:01 pm

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

^ hahaha, you going soft like me, sunshine & a warm engine.
any temp below 15degC & it too cold for me lol ...
I normally working with at least 1 fan but normally 2 to keep me cool, not always great as blows stuff about & dust etc into your face/eyes :-S
still soft compared to british cold rain & wind lol.

14Water leak Empty Re: Water leak 3rd May 2016, 9:03 pm

Stu

Stu
Admin
Admin

Mr B wrote:^ hahaha, you going soft like me, sunshine & a warm engine.
any temp below 15degC & it too cold for me lol ...
I normally working with at least 1 fan but normally 2 to keep me cool, not always great as blows stuff about & dust etc into your face/eyes :-S
Lol

I dont like the cold im old now lol
I kept burning my arm on the inlet studs lol

15Water leak Empty Re: Water leak 4th May 2016, 11:18 am

Mark Ager

Most of the rear hoses are listed on here, I think mr burrows had listed them (P/N and price) in his build thread.
you can pull up most of them on nissan fast or the online Nissan4u .

How do I find this?

16Water leak Empty Re: Water leak 4th May 2016, 7:04 pm

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

^ I'll have a look for you later & post links .

Edit/Update

Was mr thermal who posted info/pic on hose P/N so credits to him .
->

http://nissan4u.com/parts/sunny/er_n14/1992_2/type_23/exhaust_and_cooling/water_pump_cooling_fan_thermostat_water_hose_and_piping/

http://nissan4u.com/parts/sunny/er_n14/1992_2/type_23/exhaust_and_cooling/oil_cooler/
Water leak RNN14_engine_rear_hoses

17Water leak Empty Re: Water leak 5th May 2016, 9:04 am

Mark Ager

Yeah thanks I did find that from someone's post earlier, really good web site.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum