Gtir Motorsport club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Gtir Motorsport club

Welcome to the largest Nissan Pulsar & Sunny GTI-R Forum. Masses of info, friendly members, cars for sale, lots of spares. Best forum on the net by far. Everything your gtir needs is here.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Cosmic's Winter Pulsar Project

+16
nomad
shroom
PartyPete
GTI-R US
ducie54
johnboy
Mr B
gtir_woody
burrows1980
Cosmic73
Bandyleg
GTIR James
wrc
pulsarmoley
splmum
buckym120
20 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 20  Next

Go down  Message [Page 15 of 20]

351Cosmic's Winter Pulsar Project - Page 15 Empty Re: Cosmic's Winter Pulsar Project 20th March 2016, 12:03 pm

Cosmic73

Cosmic73

Yeah I can return the shims buts it's £30 postage plus admin, but it's the time it takes.
Crying or Very sad

352Cosmic's Winter Pulsar Project - Page 15 Empty Re: Cosmic's Winter Pulsar Project 21st March 2016, 1:34 pm

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

Measure & measure again & send um back for reorder . only option really  especially if they sent right sizes .
I would of probably gone with shimming for you build as if put effort in like mr burrows it not much of a bodge & works well & long term .
if got a long wait spend bit of time ding a few checks or tweaks so rest of work & first start goes smooth. fingers crossed .
Is a bummer things like that but best approach is suck it up & accept timespan to sort it .
I would also blame boy wonder for this, wish I had one as I only got the wife & if blame her she probably attack me with kitchen knife :-S

353Cosmic's Winter Pulsar Project - Page 15 Empty Re: Cosmic's Winter Pulsar Project 23rd March 2016, 3:51 pm

Cosmic73

Cosmic73

Finally solved the riddle of my awful cam clearances. You can read into this what you like.

I removed the new shims and today and spent an hour at work measuring them with Mitoyo point calipers (0-25mm) borrowed from our gauge labs.
i could only get half of them to tie up to within .01mm with what they should be. One shim that should've been 2.98mm was 2.92 so not good.
Every time i measured the same shim i got different thicknesses.

OK, so maybe it's me, right?
So i also re-measured the original Nissan shims.
I got exactly the same results as i got 2 weeks ago, and then a colleague also got the same results as me. No matter how many times we measured the same shim, we got the same thickness.

So, there's no doubt whatsoever that this is why my cam clearances were still out.

I'm definitely going to refit the original Nissan shims and then simply use punched out inserts to make up the gap.

354Cosmic's Winter Pulsar Project - Page 15 Empty Re: Cosmic's Winter Pulsar Project 23rd March 2016, 5:24 pm

shroom

shroom

Maybe they read the measurements upside down as they are Australian?

Bad luck there dude but glad you have the equipment and knowledge to measure them all properly what a waste of time and money.

Couldnt someone lend you a correctly adapted punch tool sureley once they have used it on their engine they wont need it for a while...

'Shit' think I need to sell my Sunny!

But woman cant replace a sheep
Oh I wish that for the peace!
But I really cant find my honey
The only one I would give my money
Is one with a great big fleece
And then I would be at peace...

355Cosmic's Winter Pulsar Project - Page 15 Empty Re: Cosmic's Winter Pulsar Project 23rd March 2016, 7:47 pm

johnny gtir

johnny gtir

So the shims are wrong full stop or there made bad hence you getting different readings everytime

356Cosmic's Winter Pulsar Project - Page 15 Empty Re: Cosmic's Winter Pulsar Project 23rd March 2016, 8:02 pm

gtir_woody

gtir_woody

Sorry to hear dude, hopefully another option is available for you.

Yes us Australians tend to read us upside down or sideways, it's all the beer Laughing

357Cosmic's Winter Pulsar Project - Page 15 Empty Re: Cosmic's Winter Pulsar Project 23rd March 2016, 8:30 pm

Cosmic73

Cosmic73

shroom wrote:Maybe they read the measurements upside down as they are Australian?

Bad luck there dude but glad you have the equipment and knowledge to measure them all properly what a waste of time and money.

Couldnt someone lend you a correctly adapted punch tool sureley once they have used it on their engine they wont need it for a while...

I'm going to refit the original shims and then put a help post to see if anyone will make the inserts i need? Very Happy
Ill certainly make it worth their while british

358Cosmic's Winter Pulsar Project - Page 15 Empty Re: Cosmic's Winter Pulsar Project 23rd March 2016, 8:44 pm

Cosmic73

Cosmic73

johnny gtir wrote:So the shims are wrong full stop or there made bad hence you getting different readings everytime

I can't say if they're wrong or made bad, but they're not as accurate or repeatable as the nissan shims.
I targeted a clearance of 0.1mm but ended up with 0.05 to 0.25mm
Neutral

359Cosmic's Winter Pulsar Project - Page 15 Empty Re: Cosmic's Winter Pulsar Project 23rd March 2016, 8:54 pm

burrows1980

burrows1980

0.25 will be ok as a cold measurement but 0.05 would be a tad tight! I've aimed for anything from 0.16 to 0.21 ended up only using 0.10mm & 0.15mm blades 13 X.10 and 3 X .15

I can send you my tool or cut the blades here and send the cut outs to you if that's any help?

Gaz

360Cosmic's Winter Pulsar Project - Page 15 Empty Re: Cosmic's Winter Pulsar Project 23rd March 2016, 9:00 pm

Cosmic73

Cosmic73

Hi Gaz,
If you could cut the inserts that be a huge help, thanks. Very Happy
Like you say its not excess clearance im concerned with but tight clearance.
Once i know the thicknesses ill PM you mate,
Cheers
you the man

361Cosmic's Winter Pulsar Project - Page 15 Empty Re: Cosmic's Winter Pulsar Project 23rd March 2016, 9:13 pm

burrows1980

burrows1980

Yeah no problem mate, happy to help thumbsup

362Cosmic's Winter Pulsar Project - Page 15 Empty Re: Cosmic's Winter Pulsar Project 24th March 2016, 2:31 pm

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

I tend aim around 0.13 to 0.18 but mr burrows measures are perfectly fine range.
I use a point mic to measure shim caps (see pic) but you could also use decent vernier caliper & a spacer rod to fit in cap well then deduct this spacer rod length to get shim size.
readings can vary slightly but sometimes a large variation could be fact you measure off a manufacturing pit in cap well .
Just remeasure well & take up the welsh tool solution wizard mr burrows offer to sort you set from his blade stock & modded punch tool Cosmic's Winter Pulsar Project - Page 15 Spanne10
not too much bother if wrong again as he lot more local than oz ...
Cosmic's Winter Pulsar Project - Page 15 Point_mic

363Cosmic's Winter Pulsar Project - Page 15 Empty Re: Cosmic's Winter Pulsar Project 24th March 2016, 6:33 pm

Cosmic73

Cosmic73

That calliper is identical to the one i used with the pointy ends.
Id be happy with achieving 0.1 to 0.2 right now tbh.
I was aware of the small manufacturing pit and was very careful to avoid it,
Smile

364Cosmic's Winter Pulsar Project - Page 15 Empty Re: Cosmic's Winter Pulsar Project 24th March 2016, 6:42 pm

johnboy

johnboy

I used the spacer method with vernier calipers. Cut part of the stem of an old valve and used that for the spacer. You know it's going to seat properly and give the right measurement. Smile

365Cosmic's Winter Pulsar Project - Page 15 Empty Re: Cosmic's Winter Pulsar Project 24th March 2016, 6:47 pm

Cosmic73

Cosmic73

Aren't the valves sodium filled?

Also how did you achieve the thickness you needed without grinding?
Sounds an interesting solution?

366Cosmic's Winter Pulsar Project - Page 15 Empty Re: Cosmic's Winter Pulsar Project 24th March 2016, 7:11 pm

johnboy

johnboy

Not the one I used....
This was just for measuring the shims, not for making them.
As Mr B said, the length of the spacer doesn't matter, just subtract its length from each measurement to get the actual shim thickness.

367Cosmic's Winter Pulsar Project - Page 15 Empty Re: Cosmic's Winter Pulsar Project 24th March 2016, 8:51 pm

Cosmic73

Cosmic73

Ah, now i get it.
That's a much better method.
cheers

368Cosmic's Winter Pulsar Project - Page 15 Empty Re: Cosmic's Winter Pulsar Project 30th March 2016, 11:49 am

Cosmic73

Cosmic73

Gaz's shims arrived and are working a treat!! Cheers Gaz  Very Happy  Very Happy

I'm also using Johns method to inspect and swap around the shims. Cheers John  Very Happy  Very Happy

Last night i nailed down all the intake clearances 0.1 to 0.15 which is f&*#ng brilliant,

I'll do the exhaust clearances tonight  bounce

watch this space....
Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

369Cosmic's Winter Pulsar Project - Page 15 Empty Re: Cosmic's Winter Pulsar Project 30th March 2016, 10:16 pm

gtir_woody

gtir_woody

Awesome news, everything's working out in the end Laughing

370Cosmic's Winter Pulsar Project - Page 15 Empty Re: Cosmic's Winter Pulsar Project 1st April 2016, 9:02 pm

Cosmic73

Cosmic73

Finally finished the cam clearances.
Got them all between 0.13 to 0.2mm
What a dog of a job, glad they're finally done.
Smile

371Cosmic's Winter Pulsar Project - Page 15 Empty Re: Cosmic's Winter Pulsar Project 1st April 2016, 9:07 pm

Gostek

Gostek
Events Organiser
Events Organiser

I'll give you a shout next month you can do mine piss taker

372Cosmic's Winter Pulsar Project - Page 15 Empty Re: Cosmic's Winter Pulsar Project 3rd April 2016, 4:26 pm

Cosmic73

Cosmic73

Finally after all these months, its done.
Engine and gearbox completely rebuilt!!
Very Happy
Cosmic's Winter Pulsar Project - Page 15 Image_zpsfanrywlu

Trouble is it wont fire up, no ignition lights are coming on,
All other electrics, eg hazard lights, hvac, wipers etc work fine.
Looks like the immobiliser wiring i removed is still connected into the ignition system so ill have to get a sparky in.
Oh well, 2 steps firward, 1 step back,
Neutral  Neutral  Neutral

373Cosmic's Winter Pulsar Project - Page 15 Empty Re: Cosmic's Winter Pulsar Project 3rd April 2016, 8:19 pm

gtir_woody

gtir_woody

Bet you are happy it's almost done, I've enjoyed watching the updates Smile

374Cosmic's Winter Pulsar Project - Page 15 Empty Re: Cosmic's Winter Pulsar Project 3rd April 2016, 8:27 pm

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

Glad to see it all back together shame about the no ignition lights ... can be an awful things to sort out immobilisers ...

375Cosmic's Winter Pulsar Project - Page 15 Empty Re: Cosmic's Winter Pulsar Project 3rd April 2016, 9:26 pm

Cosmic73

Cosmic73

Yeah, really pleased its done,
The electrics are the sparkys problem now, so hopefully have it fired up early next week
There's still stuff to do like underseal etc, but ive got all Summer for that.
Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 15 of 20]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 20  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum