Gtir Motorsport club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Gtir Motorsport club

Welcome to the largest Nissan Pulsar & Sunny GTI-R Forum. Masses of info, friendly members, cars for sale, lots of spares. Best forum on the net by far. Everything your gtir needs is here.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Car battery

+6
johnboy
johnny gtir
Mr B
Andy Sunny Gti
nomad
Gti-r dannyboy
10 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Car battery  Empty Car battery 6th October 2015, 9:21 am

Gti-r dannyboy

Where is the best place to pick a battery up from?what make do you use?my car seems to eat batterys for fun!!

2Car battery  Empty Re: Car battery 6th October 2015, 12:45 pm

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

Any motorfactors or halfords .... atleast get one with warranty obviously cheapest would be internet if you can wait ...

3Car battery  Empty Re: Car battery 6th October 2015, 1:56 pm

Andy Sunny Gti

Andy Sunny Gti

As we are on the subject, what is the smallest type?
I am sure I have used the Micra one before.
Need it to be a good everyday one, not the tiny race battery I used before.
Engine bay getting a bit tight and do not want to relocate to the boot.

4Car battery  Empty Re: Car battery 6th October 2015, 2:03 pm

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

I would go with a motorfactors & Banner brand preferably or Yausan.
As long as it got decent 3yr warranty & from a local source you confident handle warranty it should be worth a try though if pricing sensible.
Probably worth checking alternator/vehicle elecs to rule out charge fault or leakage.

5Car battery  Empty Re: Car battery 6th October 2015, 2:12 pm

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

The Micra was same size & JIS terminals as the JDM R's.
what you use will also depend on what clamps you got in your car as if on larger SAE terminal clamps you will need matching SAE terminals on your battery or sleeves to convert from JIS terminals to SAE clamps ...

6Car battery  Empty Re: Car battery 6th October 2015, 3:37 pm

johnny gtir

johnny gtir

Remember the terminals are sided ie the positive can be on left or right so make sure get the one so they reach as even turning it around on some I have seen leaves you short of length

7Car battery  Empty Re: Car battery 6th October 2015, 4:29 pm

Gti-r dannyboy

My battery is in the boot so can easily turn it round, i am going to ask a stupid question now?? To find the right type of battery in halfords they have that book you look through but they don't have pulsar/sunny in there. What do i look for??

8Car battery  Empty Re: Car battery 6th October 2015, 4:34 pm

johnboy

johnboy

I usually just get the biggest battery that will fit in the battery tray, with the right terminals. Some have a higher power rating than others so just go for the best in the size.
Probably the wrong way but works for me.

9Car battery  Empty Re: Car battery 6th October 2015, 5:01 pm

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

I go with johnboy's approach generally, I used a primera battery tray as they little bigger & bolt straight in like oem on the R.

For a UK R look up a uk GTiR
For JDM R look up a 91 k10 micra as it same size (varies little on manufacturers) & same terminal orientation & size (JIS)

10Car battery  Empty Re: Car battery 6th October 2015, 5:24 pm

Thermal

Thermal

Have a look on puretyre.co.uk they have a battery specification chart with dimensions etc, also your old battery should have a code 063 or similar if you need to match up.

11Car battery  Empty Re: Car battery 6th October 2015, 5:33 pm

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

Is it not the size of the battery but the cca's that important ...

12Car battery  Empty Re: Car battery 6th October 2015, 5:53 pm

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

Most will deliver suitable CCA for a petrol, you probably want be real fussy on CCA when living in real cold climates & fitting battery for diesel. Reserve capacity tends be important as short trips stereos & alarm systems take a toll.
I would imagine the JDM size battery would be not best match for a daily used R in UK winter time but quite good for a summer & track use car.

13Car battery  Empty Re: Car battery 6th October 2015, 6:21 pm

Gti-r dannyboy

Thanks for all the info guys much appreciated

14Car battery  Empty Re: Car battery 7th October 2015, 7:17 pm

Thermal

Thermal

Puretyre gives all the info including the CCA. I thought it was quite a good site.

15Car battery  Empty Re: Car battery 11th October 2015, 2:14 pm

sven777

I recently bought a Lithium battery (3.6 lbs and CCA 480 for 10 seconds), expensive, but in the long run; doesn't discharge that fast (but you do need a cut off switch to avoid drain). Even came with a charger that can charge to full power in 40 minutes. Not tested yet, but hope this will work. The weight saving is great, thought it would be a good alternative to boot relocation.

16Car battery  Empty Re: Car battery 11th October 2015, 5:13 pm

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

Any link to it or where you bought it for what price etc ???

17Car battery  Empty Re: Car battery 11th October 2015, 6:03 pm

sven777

http://www.essexparts.com/shop/ultralight-lithium-batteries.html

That's a site in English from a US retailer. I bought the X4 model, I paid less; in Euro's it was 299 here in the Netherlands.

You can mount it up-side down, doesn't matter and it has M4 terminals. Temperature has no influence on a Lithium battery.

Only downside is obvious; you shouldn't park your car and leave the stereo on for 30 minutes. You can leave it in the car over winter for months and the car will start just fine (as long as you have a kill switch for the negative installed).

18Car battery  Empty Re: Car battery 11th October 2015, 8:13 pm

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

Cheers for link Wink

19Car battery  Empty Re: Car battery 11th October 2015, 9:01 pm

buckym120

buckym120

Never heard of the above, but used these in the past and have one on order. Can get battery, cage and even charger (click on eBay for deals)

http://www.powervampracing.com/race-batteries/odyssey-pc680-battery.html

20Car battery  Empty Re: Car battery 27th November 2017, 8:42 pm

venom42

venom42

I have been trying to find the US spec size that is the equivalent to the UK 054 (which looks to be the factory replacement size for JDM spec Pulsar). Just in case anyone is searching in the future, it looks like the US Group size is 151R. That is the closest I can find to the original factory spec. I am basing that on this chart: http://www.batteryweb.com/bci.cfm

The "Autocraft Gold" offering from Advance Auto Parts has 370 CCA, where the others I have found are 340 CCA. I do not know that it will make much difference, but with it being so little I am thinking more is better. It also has a 3yr warranty. I live in the Southeast, so it does not get below freezing here very often. Hopefully it will be enough for this climate.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum