Gtir Motorsport club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Gtir Motorsport club

Welcome to the largest Nissan Pulsar & Sunny GTI-R Forum. Masses of info, friendly members, cars for sale, lots of spares. Best forum on the net by far. Everything your gtir needs is here.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Preserving the battery

+6
shroom
Gti-r dannyboy
johnny gtir
johnboy
nomad
Moss Ali
10 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Preserving the battery Empty Preserving the battery 16th January 2016, 11:05 am

Moss Ali

Hi all,

What's the best way of preventing the battery from dying whilst the car parked up for long periods? Are smart chargers any good for this?

2Preserving the battery Empty Re: Preserving the battery 16th January 2016, 4:11 pm

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

My boss uses a smart charger on hes 60s truck with no issues so i would say they are ok ....

3Preserving the battery Empty Re: Preserving the battery 16th January 2016, 4:21 pm

johnboy

johnboy

I just try and remember to charge mine for an hour or two, once a month.
I've been doing that with a spare battery I've had in the garage for 3 or 4 years and that never has a problem starting a car when it has to...

4Preserving the battery Empty Re: Preserving the battery 16th January 2016, 5:31 pm

johnny gtir

johnny gtir

Moss Ali wrote:Hi all,

What's the best way of preventing the battery from dying whilst the car parked up for long periods? Are smart chargers any good for this?

In what way the car is a working vehicle your storing ? Dose it have a alarm ? Internal or outside storage ?

5Preserving the battery Empty Re: Preserving the battery 16th January 2016, 6:35 pm

Gti-r dannyboy

Whats a smart charger? Could do with something like that myself.

6Preserving the battery Empty Re: Preserving the battery 16th January 2016, 6:41 pm

johnny gtir

johnny gtir

Just constant trickle charges the battery

In simple terms

7Preserving the battery Empty Re: Preserving the battery 16th January 2016, 6:48 pm

shroom

shroom

You can get solar powered ones for quite cheap although cant comment on how good they are. Plus we never have any sun lol

'Shit' think I need to sell my Sunny!

But woman cant replace a sheep
Oh I wish that for the peace!
But I really cant find my honey
The only one I would give my money
Is one with a great big fleece
And then I would be at peace...

8Preserving the battery Empty Re: Preserving the battery 16th January 2016, 7:01 pm

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

I forgot what my bosses one is but its tops it up and keeps an eye on the condition of the battery and adjusts the charge as and when kind of thing .... think he paid around 65quid ... its a plug in the wall type with a little box ... and you can either use crocodile clips or use like a two pin plug that you permantly fix to your battery if that makes sense ...

9Preserving the battery Empty Re: Preserving the battery 16th January 2016, 7:08 pm

gtir_woody

gtir_woody

A guy at work uses a cheap solar powered one and hasnt had any dramas but yeah you need sun Laughing

10Preserving the battery Empty Re: Preserving the battery 16th January 2016, 7:14 pm

shroom

shroom

There we go again rubbing it in. I cant wait to watch David Haye nock the sunshine out of that Aussie later tonight Laughing

'Shit' think I need to sell my Sunny!

But woman cant replace a sheep
Oh I wish that for the peace!
But I really cant find my honey
The only one I would give my money
Is one with a great big fleece
And then I would be at peace...

11Preserving the battery Empty Re: Preserving the battery 16th January 2016, 9:36 pm

As shroom mentioned go for a solar charger
I've one works very well

12Preserving the battery Empty Re: Preserving the battery 16th January 2016, 9:45 pm

wrc

wrc

Solar trickle charger is good of the car is outside etc, or a smart charger/ maintainance charger is better if you have access to mains.

Get a good known brand, not an eBay piece of shit.

13Preserving the battery Empty Re: Preserving the battery 17th January 2016, 5:11 am

splmum

splmum

Solar one is good (when you have sun) and you can leave the car in the lock-up, but you need to attach the panel to the outside and maybe extend the leads to the battery.
I just use a cheap mains feed and turn it on when required.

14Preserving the battery Empty Re: Preserving the battery 25th February 2016, 9:53 am

houghy_1

I've got a c-tek charger for exactly that,trickle charging and it keeps the battery conditioned

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum