Gtir Motorsport club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Gtir Motorsport club

Welcome to the largest Nissan Pulsar & Sunny GTI-R Forum. Masses of info, friendly members, cars for sale, lots of spares. Best forum on the net by far. Everything your gtir needs is here.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Rear diff preload

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Rear diff preload Empty Rear diff preload 17th July 2015, 9:00 pm

burrows1980

burrows1980

Evenin all,

Had a disaster today, the labels I attached to the side bearing retainers fell off Shocked so one retainer has two shims the other only one. When I stripped it down a few weeks back I cant remember which side had two or one Mad

Is there a common trend with diffs that one side generally has two shims?? Looked in the manual and got confused by the calculations plus havent got the necessary master gauge and weight block...

I always write on the part itself which side I take it off, but beacause I was painting the retainers I wrote on a latex glove and placed over the bearing face to keep the shims and o ring from falling off.. Shims stayed on but the latex gloves have fallen off Sad

Gaz

2Rear diff preload Empty Re: Rear diff preload 19th July 2015, 5:05 pm

burrows1980

burrows1980

Had a play around with the diff before putting it back togther.  I think the bearings are worn, the backlash seems to be more than 0.2mm, its more like 0.5 - 0.7mm.

If I took the 1 shim off the ring gear side retainer and put that one on the other side to keep the preload the same it may reduce the backlash to within spec.  Without the correct tools I wouldnt like to try this and use it.  Theres a gearbox place round the corner I'll take it there and get them to check it over.

Rear diff preload 155FD3EB-59E9-4341-AAAC-36A697D4FC41_zpshymcz4t8

Rear diff preload 5443A778-2F64-4DDE-9CE0-545239273594_zpsnf4cxf1h

Rear diff preload 9143E91D-85C1-4231-B81F-C2D8B3B3F7BD_zpsfrotvioa

When I initially stripped the car down a few years back, I noticed it then and did comment at the time if it was normal, uploaded a vid cant remember to which forum:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3lY59LKsXU

The vid was from when I first removed the subframe.  If I remember correctly when driving it there used to be a knock or clunk, not loud, when first moving off.  Its been so long since I last drove her, I cant really remember what it sounded like tbh..

Gaz

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum