Gtir Motorsport club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Gtir Motorsport club

Welcome to the largest Nissan Pulsar & Sunny GTI-R Forum. Masses of info, friendly members, cars for sale, lots of spares. Best forum on the net by far. Everything your gtir needs is here.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Anybody spot whats wrong in this pic?

+7
GTI-R US
Mr B
ROB_IOW
pulsarmoley
Gostek
richpulsar
warringtonjack
11 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Anybody spot whats wrong in this pic? Empty Anybody spot whats wrong in this pic? 26th April 2015, 8:58 pm

warringtonjack

So, nice and easy. Who's gonna be the first to tell me what's wrong in this pic?

And then who's gonna be first to give me a how-to to fix it? lol.

Anybody spot whats wrong in this pic? 20150426_165053

richpulsar

richpulsar

is that not just the pulley where the belt for aircon pump would have been??

Gostek

Gostek
Events Organiser
Events Organiser

You can get 6pk830 belt and skin your knuckles changing it

https://bbmgarage.co.uk/

pulsarmoley

pulsarmoley

Im probably wrong but your missing the rear belt in the picture and the pulley doesn't look right, has it separated?

ROB_IOW

ROB_IOW
the two star club
the two star club

Bottom pulley has separated

6Anybody spot whats wrong in this pic? Empty Re: Anybody spot whats wrong in this pic? 26th April 2015, 10:28 pm

warringtonjack

Moley and Rob have got it. Crank pulley has separated.

So, who's going to be first to give me a how-to to replace it then? Very Happy

7Anybody spot whats wrong in this pic? Empty Re: Anybody spot whats wrong in this pic? 26th April 2015, 10:37 pm

pulsarmoley

pulsarmoley

I got it right, do I win I prize? bounce015

Cant help as never done one. Is it not as straight forward as to remove the bolt holding it then remove pulley?

8Anybody spot whats wrong in this pic? Empty Re: Anybody spot whats wrong in this pic? 26th April 2015, 10:39 pm

ROB_IOW

ROB_IOW
the two star club
the two star club

Pretty much that easy ... then fit new one and belts

warringtonjack

Now that does sound easy! Is there enough room to remove it without needing to drop the engine on it's mounts? Does it need a separate oil seal?

10Anybody spot whats wrong in this pic? Empty Re: Anybody spot whats wrong in this pic? 27th April 2015, 1:18 pm

warringtonjack

And does Bob have any crank pulleys lying around? lol

11Anybody spot whats wrong in this pic? Empty Re: Anybody spot whats wrong in this pic? 27th April 2015, 2:54 pm

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

EPP in US did have limited amount of new ones, I had one for around £100.
part number was 12303-54C00
If you lucky bob may have something decent but at 20+ yrs old they mostly going be close to same issue you already got .

12Anybody spot whats wrong in this pic? Empty Re: Anybody spot whats wrong in this pic? 27th April 2015, 10:29 pm

GTI-R US

GTI-R US
Management
Management

Yes have got one in good order if needed just drop me a pm

http://www.gti-r-us.co.uk www.force500.com

13Anybody spot whats wrong in this pic? Empty Re: Anybody spot whats wrong in this pic? 28th April 2015, 9:59 am

Bones

Bones
the two star club
the two star club

I know im guna get pulled up on this but my outer ring was spinning so timing mark was way out.all i did was tack weld a washer from inner pulley to outer ring as a tempary job but it worked fine and i never got round to changing it.i was told it had the rubber to remove a bit of the shock off the air con but mine has air con removed so now it only drives alternator so no harm done.i found TDC and re marked the pully,set timing light to +20 and job done.as said above there all 20+ years now so ust all be getting ready

14Anybody spot whats wrong in this pic? Empty Re: Anybody spot whats wrong in this pic? 28th April 2015, 10:42 am

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

Good bit of british history in those pulleys, original design & patent was done by Lanchster brothers who had engine building company, they designed the harmonic damper pulley to remove vibration stress from the crank, also they made the twin balancer shafts & mitsubishi bought that patent & you can see the shaft principle in many of their engines inc 4g63, other companies like lancia paid for patent use from mitsubishi.
Every engine crank has specific rpm points that creates a cross of vibration frequencies that can be very destructive, this vibration/resonance is always worse opposite end to main load which is flywheel, the crank pulley rubber absorbs the resonance & the rubber turns it to heat via flexing.
Pretty cool british engineering ... british

15Anybody spot whats wrong in this pic? Empty Re: Anybody spot whats wrong in this pic? 28th April 2015, 10:59 am

johnboy

johnboy

Bones, now you know the real reason for the rubber in the pulley sounds like you'd better see if Bob's got another one for sale.. Very Happy

16Anybody spot whats wrong in this pic? Empty Re: Anybody spot whats wrong in this pic? 28th April 2015, 11:38 am

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

You beat me to it mr b .... although my answer would of been fair less complex than that .... Wink

17Anybody spot whats wrong in this pic? Empty Re: Anybody spot whats wrong in this pic? 28th April 2015, 11:43 am

Bones

Bones
the two star club
the two star club

Oh bugger lol problem i had was i came across 2 more but they were both the same.

18Anybody spot whats wrong in this pic? Empty Re: Anybody spot whats wrong in this pic? 28th April 2015, 11:46 am

Bones

Bones
the two star club
the two star club

I changed crank crank oil seal while i was at it. Only cheap so made sence. Be carefull getting it off as its easy to break the edge off the pulley.think there is a how to that bob did

19Anybody spot whats wrong in this pic? Empty Re: Anybody spot whats wrong in this pic? 28th April 2015, 12:22 pm

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

To be fair it not huge issue & modern engines have far less vibrations, few people use the solid alloy ones without issue but personally I prefer the damper pulley.
Is a cock finding decent used ones these days, best hunting round for decent priced new OEM as job done once & for another 20 years that way, not sure if any companies in UK do them refurbished ! basically new rubber core !
Ideally want a puller for easy/safe removal, prying them off can as you say chip pulley edge or even tip of prybar can puncture oil-pump housing :-/
Bob done how-to on removal & a quick home brew pulley, I put a link to a cheap pulley on eBay in tools section.

20Anybody spot whats wrong in this pic? Empty Re: Anybody spot whats wrong in this pic? 28th April 2015, 8:47 pm

johnny gtir

johnny gtir

Well if I had not seen it with my own eyes I would not belive it I seen bob remove one by pulling the pully with his hands and it had been on a while I removed bolt so I know he never slackened it. I was amazed speechless

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum