Gtir Motorsport club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Gtir Motorsport club

Welcome to the largest Nissan Pulsar & Sunny GTI-R Forum. Masses of info, friendly members, cars for sale, lots of spares. Best forum on the net by far. Everything your gtir needs is here.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Spot the difference

+6
shroom
Indy
johnny gtir
joetheeskimo
pulsarmoley
Thermal
10 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Spot the difference Empty Spot the difference 11th September 2015, 2:47 pm

Thermal

Thermal

Just done a compression check after having a bit of a smokey engine. (it started after a good thrashing round north weald last month)
Cyl#1 = 135psi
Cyl#2 = 140psi
Cyl#3 = 40psi
Cyl#4 = 140psi

After chucking some oil down cyl#3 it came up to 150psi, so rings or piston.

Will be going down the route of fitting forged pistons, what make do you guys recommend ?

2Spot the difference Empty Re: Spot the difference 11th September 2015, 3:02 pm

pulsarmoley

pulsarmoley

Oh bugger. Think your good generally with cp or je pistons

Everybody needs a bosom for a pillow...

3Spot the difference Empty Re: Spot the difference 11th September 2015, 3:12 pm

Thermal

Thermal

At least it has given me the push to upgrade and spend some money on it.

4Spot the difference Empty Re: Spot the difference 11th September 2015, 3:20 pm

joetheeskimo

joetheeskimo

Thermal wrote:At least it has given me the push to upgrade and spend some money on it.

I had a similiar thing earlier this year. Thats not good it was at 40psi. Least a rebuild will keep the engine living for a good few more years.

Have you got any pictures of your car. I can kinda see your front arches, looks nice just like to see it in more detail.

5Spot the difference Empty Re: Spot the difference 11th September 2015, 5:03 pm

johnny gtir

johnny gtir

Thermal wrote:At least it has given me the push to upgrade and spend some money on it.
Great attitude need more R owners like you

6Spot the difference Empty Re: Spot the difference 11th September 2015, 5:28 pm

Indy

Sorry to hear about your engin as johnn thumbsup y said its a great attitude to have people have to realise that theses engines are old they will let go eventually especially after the type of thrashing they get but most of them get rebuilt to be stronger.
So again well done for the positive attitude I'm sure everyone on here will help you along the rebuild and you have give other people inspiration and hope. thumbsup

7Spot the difference Empty Re: Spot the difference 11th September 2015, 6:38 pm

Thermal

Thermal

Yeah, I knew it was going to happen eventually, here we go, pistons, cams mapping ETC, just starting a new job next month so will be tied up with that for a while, but at least I can now start collecting parts ready for the build, so hopefully lots of shiney bits to admire, and start the build early next year, get ready for the questions!

8Spot the difference Empty Re: Spot the difference 11th September 2015, 7:15 pm

johnny gtir

johnny gtir

Such a nice car maybe put a standard engine in then sell engine next year when you start the build ? Cars hate sitting worse than running them

9Spot the difference Empty Re: Spot the difference 11th September 2015, 7:34 pm

shroom

shroom

Yeah mine sat for a year and its took me ages ironing out all the little faults etc, especially if you cant start and move it regulary. Good luck with her glad your spirits are high its a very nice car!

'Shit' think I need to sell my Sunny!

But woman cant replace a sheep
Oh I wish that for the peace!
But I really cant find my honey
The only one I would give my money
Is one with a great big fleece
And then I would be at peace...

10Spot the difference Empty Re: Spot the difference 11th September 2015, 9:03 pm

johnny gtir

johnny gtir

maybe using tools instead of a iron might of speeded things up no wonder it took ages

11Spot the difference Empty Re: Spot the difference 11th September 2015, 9:55 pm

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

Best for road & track use combination is cp in my opinion, they also good price if shop around or even cheaper if have friends in US who can ship them for you.

12Spot the difference Empty Re: Spot the difference 12th September 2015, 6:19 am

johnny gtir

johnny gtir

I think Bucky (mark) had a new set at a good price only for sale as they were different size to what he needed  save on shipping

13Spot the difference Empty Re: Spot the difference 12th September 2015, 10:29 am

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

Don't go buying pistons until bores checked or you have same problem bucky did.

14Spot the difference Empty Re: Spot the difference 12th September 2015, 3:53 pm

Thermal

Thermal

Thanks for the advice B, just got to find some time to strip it now.

15Spot the difference Empty Re: Spot the difference 12th September 2015, 8:06 pm

GTI-R US

GTI-R US
Management
Management

if its a road car use cp pistons they are very good.
if however you are planning on using car on track a lot and you are pushing it close to the limits then use je pistons instead as will be more reliable under extreme heat than cp counterparts

Nissan Performance & Tuning Centre
Services provided

Forge Engine rebuilds to specification
Body Restoration, Fabrication, Repair
Paint refinishing facilities
Ecu re-mapping-Performance upgrades
Auto Diagnostics, Injector cleaning  
Race & Suspension setup
General Servicing, Mots, tyre fitting
Full workshop facilities
http://www.gti-r-us.co.uk www.force500.com

16Spot the difference Empty Re: Spot the difference 27th September 2015, 7:21 pm

Thermal

Thermal

Just popped the pistons out today, this is what I found on Cyl#3, also on cyl#1, bores look ok, I just need to get them measured/checked before I order some nice shiney pistons. photo P1050816.jpg

17Spot the difference Empty Re: Spot the difference 27th September 2015, 7:24 pm

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

Ouch duh are they forged pistons ???

18Spot the difference Empty Re: Spot the difference 27th September 2015, 7:26 pm

johnny gtir

johnny gtir

Look standard

19Spot the difference Empty Re: Spot the difference 27th September 2015, 7:30 pm

Thermal

Thermal

Yep they are standard, well less than standard now!

20Spot the difference Empty Re: Spot the difference 27th September 2015, 7:40 pm

buckym120

buckym120

Yep as said above by the guys get the block checked my sure the cylinders are good, (mine still had honing marks but had ovalled a bore).

But if you need standard size forged cps I have still got a set for sale. Saves waiting 3 weeks delivery from states and the £80-90 import duty

21Spot the difference Empty Re: Spot the difference 27th September 2015, 8:02 pm

Thermal

Thermal

I will keep them in mind when I get it checked.

22Spot the difference Empty Re: Spot the difference 27th September 2015, 10:25 pm

GTI-R US

GTI-R US
Management
Management

You really need to check why they went like that in the first instance, that engine had been detting severely, so there's an underlying issue there somewhere, could be too much boost, fuelling problem, too much ignition advance, vacuum leak etc etc.
Also check around combustion chamber on cylinder head and around top edge of block on inlet side as chances are that one or both could have suffered damage.

Nissan Performance & Tuning Centre
Services provided

Forge Engine rebuilds to specification
Body Restoration, Fabrication, Repair
Paint refinishing facilities
Ecu re-mapping-Performance upgrades
Auto Diagnostics, Injector cleaning  
Race & Suspension setup
General Servicing, Mots, tyre fitting
Full workshop facilities
http://www.gti-r-us.co.uk www.force500.com

23Spot the difference Empty Re: Spot the difference 28th September 2015, 7:33 am

Thermal

Thermal

Thanks Bob, I will check that out, and you are right the set up was not great, a bit of det I think, needless to say you will be getting a visit for mapping when rebuilt and when I decide which aftermarket ECU to use.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum