Gtir Motorsport club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Gtir Motorsport club

Welcome to the largest Nissan Pulsar & Sunny GTI-R Forum. Masses of info, friendly members, cars for sale, lots of spares. Best forum on the net by far. Everything your gtir needs is here.

You are not connected. Please login or register

bad mot this time meh

+9
Gostek
nomad
GTI-R US
Supernova
Bones
Gaz GTiR
toaster55
Mr B
Digitalfaze
13 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 3]

51bad mot this time meh - Page 3 Empty Re: bad mot this time meh 14th December 2014, 1:42 pm

Digitalfaze

Digitalfaze
web admin
web admin

Turns out it was both my bulbs had gone Very Happy feel so dumb sometimes lol

http://www.avaloncreative.co.uk

52bad mot this time meh - Page 3 Empty Re: bad mot this time meh 14th December 2014, 2:43 pm

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

Lol, turning into an easy MOT this :-)
I tend get my bulbs from newish jap salvage as free & quality good so less bulb failures, built up quite a large selection in workshop & it recycling too ...
Have you looked at the exhaust yet ?

53bad mot this time meh - Page 3 Empty Re: bad mot this time meh 14th December 2014, 5:57 pm

Digitalfaze

Digitalfaze
web admin
web admin

Not looked at the exhaust yet im going to ask the welder to just weld it if it needs welded but ill have to jack it up and check it over, i guess i overreacted a bit, welders have such a bad reputation and as soon as welding is mentioned i assume its gonna be a pricey job, the sidelights were new as my missus used my car for training so got some nice expensive bulbs for free Smile but they didnt last too long Sad ive been having light issues quite alot but neglected to think it was actually bulbs

54bad mot this time meh - Page 3 Empty Re: bad mot this time meh 14th December 2014, 9:42 pm

Bones

Bones
the two star club
the two star club

Easy done. I always think, try simplest think 1st

55bad mot this time meh - Page 3 Empty Re: bad mot this time meh 14th December 2014, 10:22 pm

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

Yeah one of those golden rules start from the basics and go from there .... you can always do a continuty test with a multimeter with bulbs just for future refference ...

56bad mot this time meh - Page 3 Empty Re: bad mot this time meh 27th December 2014, 11:01 am

Digitalfaze

Digitalfaze
web admin
web admin

Ah well failed again for subframe mounting needing welded, bit of a joke really should have been picked up on the previous mot Sad

57bad mot this time meh - Page 3 Empty Re: bad mot this time meh 27th December 2014, 11:14 am

johnny gtir

johnny gtir

Its better you know so you can sort it. It deffo should of been picked up on first time. you need to let them know that if it was the same tester or a different one at the same place why this has happened in the space of a few weeks

58bad mot this time meh - Page 3 Empty Re: bad mot this time meh 27th December 2014, 11:33 am

Digitalfaze

Digitalfaze
web admin
web admin

yeah said this to them, its only been sitting in a bodyshop being welded so dont understand how this stuff wasn't picked up the first time, more advisories too, basically a complete different mot from the same guy who done the last one, i know its good to know these things but would have rather had it done while it was at the welders, now a 2nd trip is needed.

first mot advisories:
both rear brake discs corroded but not critical

this mot (2 weeks later):
front tyre near limit
noisy exhaust (whatever that even means lol)
outer brake light inop
offside trackrod end rubber deteriorating

^so this all happened while in a bodyshop lol

59bad mot this time meh - Page 3 Empty Re: bad mot this time meh 27th December 2014, 12:10 pm

johnny gtir

johnny gtir

If its 2 weeks all they normally do is check the previous fails have been rectified. There is some stupid rule of if the vehicle dose not leave there premises but alot of mot places dont do welding etc so most give you the 14 days and just check previous fails and things like you aint killed the tyres etc. i would be telling them they seriously need to think about there procedure and you should report them.

60bad mot this time meh - Page 3 Empty Re: bad mot this time meh 27th December 2014, 12:16 pm

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

that is pretty sloppy & seems same guy he making himself look a tit :-O
Only thing to note there really worthy is the o/s trackrod.
going back for patch is a pain.
When you say outer brake light, you mean o/s brake light !
You get 10 days for partial retest & technically only on select failures but most friendly garages don't charge again if you quick & not done stupid amount of mileage or at worst charge you half for retest.
Ideally with UK MOTs you need a decent local garage with honest friendly MOT system.

Last edited by Mr B on 27th December 2014, 12:24 pm; edited 1 time in total

61bad mot this time meh - Page 3 Empty Re: bad mot this time meh 27th December 2014, 12:22 pm

johnny gtir

johnny gtir

Its not wiring to do with the fog is it ? Seen this before some wires messed with

62bad mot this time meh - Page 3 Empty Re: bad mot this time meh 27th December 2014, 12:34 pm

Digitalfaze

Digitalfaze
web admin
web admin

says on the sheet "nearside outer brake light inop".

im going to complain as its a pain in the arse having to send m car away to be welded for "a small patch" again especially for this time of year and the car has only done 19miles since first mot and that was driving to welders and back.

the free retest is 10 working days which i think i missed as the welding was taking longer so 2 maybe 3 weeks or so

63bad mot this time meh - Page 3 Empty Re: bad mot this time meh 28th December 2014, 11:07 am

Gtirchris

It sounds like he's doing the typical thing of trying to upsell work, but he must be a bit of a tit, it's not like they would have a white Pulsar on every week, i would have a look at the advisories and appeal against it if you don't think they are justfiable as there is no way the car had developed a patch of rot sitting in a body shop, at most i would think it will need a bulb or a wiring repair for the brake light, also being as it was the same tester i would ask him why he didn't pick these things up the first time and sugggest he hasn't done his job properly

http://www.guglielmimotorsport.co.uk

64bad mot this time meh - Page 3 Empty Re: bad mot this time meh 28th December 2014, 11:15 am

johnny gtir

johnny gtir

Wise words chris

65bad mot this time meh - Page 3 Empty Re: bad mot this time meh 28th December 2014, 1:14 pm

splmum

splmum

It sounds like you are getting the "right-royal-run-around".

I don't know how MOT works in the UK but in Australia, they have to list all the faults they find and then when retested they only check the list of faults, not do a complete inspection and find more faults.

As has been said, I would be asking for verification of the original test and why the faults raised in the second test were not raised in the first.

Once you have it passed, advise the tester that you intend to report him on the process conducted as you are aggrieved about his quality of inspection/s.

Good luck with it.

66bad mot this time meh - Page 3 Empty Re: bad mot this time meh 28th December 2014, 1:29 pm

johnny gtir

johnny gtir

Similar but as a rough guide like i say if it leaves the mot center it is supposed to be retested ie you could repair something badley or cause a new problem that was not there but its 10 days free retest

67bad mot this time meh - Page 3 Empty Re: bad mot this time meh 28th December 2014, 2:33 pm

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

UK is a bit funny on rules as only certain faults are allowed for free & partial retest by the rules :-/ .
Many good MOT stations use a bit of common sense though so it works fine.
In case of digitalfaze he been unlucky as MOT man has proved himself a bit of a tit by adding faults/advisories he should of listed first inspection & by adding them on second inspection just shows his lack of ability.
Bit of a shame as everything was working out fine ...
I would advise against making an appeal as that not fun and requires your car going to DVSA for full test you pay full price & only get refunded if they test in your favour.
Certainly worth a moan at the MOT man though.

68bad mot this time meh - Page 3 Empty Re: bad mot this time meh 28th December 2014, 2:46 pm

Digitalfaze

Digitalfaze
web admin
web admin

Mr B wrote:UK is a bit funny on rules as only certain faults are allowed for free & partial retest by the rules :-/ .
Many good MOT stations use a bit of common sense though so it works fine.
In case of digitalfaze he been unlucky as MOT man has proved himself a bit of a tit by adding faults/advisories he should of listed first inspection & by adding them on second inspection just shows his lack of ability.
Bit of a shame as everything was working out fine ...
I would advise against making an appeal as that not fun and requires your car going to DVSA for full test you pay full price & only get refunded if they test in your favour.
Certainly worth a moan at the MOT man though.

yeah i agree, i looked into it and seen the car had to be sent away and a full price paid for an mot, thats another ballache i dont need so ill moan to the garage and try and get something for free, never really had an issue like this before and my car has been off the road for too long, was quite entertaining seeing the mot tester trying to put my car on the brake testing rollers, what an idiot

69bad mot this time meh - Page 3 Empty Re: bad mot this time meh 28th December 2014, 11:04 pm

Gtirchris

Obviously not the sharpest tool in the box then, as anything that is AWD, has am lsd fitted or is hybrid should be subjected to a brake test on the road.

http://www.guglielmimotorsport.co.uk

70bad mot this time meh - Page 3 Empty Re: bad mot this time meh 29th December 2014, 10:16 am

Digitalfaze

Digitalfaze
web admin
web admin

bad mot this time meh - Page 3 IMAG0175_zpsxjlm758c

dont know how he missed this the first time as its in clear view from looking under the rear bumper. yeah the car just drove out of the rollers, im really not happy with them and im going to complain about missing that welding and also the fact he drove my car into the brake tester and the front wheels were spinning hopefully he aint damaged anything, he then reversed back like he was pissed off right into the rollers and out again.

71bad mot this time meh - Page 3 Empty Re: bad mot this time meh 29th December 2014, 6:31 pm

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

Yeah cant see how he missed it ... although he probably saw it was scabby and then poked a holed in it ... i would defo complain about them with the brake test make sure you get the point across that its awd and quite clearly can cause damage to the drive train so if its broke anything your be sending him the bill ... Evil or Very Mad

72bad mot this time meh - Page 3 Empty Re: bad mot this time meh 31st December 2014, 3:29 pm

Digitalfaze

Digitalfaze
web admin
web admin

Well car passed all good now, demanded a refund on my first mot as clearly wasnt done properly so see what happens, thanks for everyones help, feels good having the rice tin back on the road, bit of a mess now though so got some work to be done

73bad mot this time meh - Page 3 Empty Re: bad mot this time meh 31st December 2014, 6:41 pm

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

Enjoy it & don't sell.
Not much else will come close to the fun for cost & if you want a decent R again you will seriously struggle finding one.
you can sort out the loose ends at your leisure & should be very minor work for next MOT.
Think you need give the underside some rust treatment & underseal though.

74bad mot this time meh - Page 3 Empty Re: bad mot this time meh 31st December 2014, 8:57 pm

Digitalfaze

Digitalfaze
web admin
web admin

Yeah im on the hunt for a runaround so i can sort this car out properly, really hard getting work done on it when its also your work horse and if its off the road then im pretty much off work, got friendly with the welder so will get him to sort out a few more bits, i cant really fault the car as its been the most reliable car ive had and not really given me any major issues, just wear and tear stuff, i keep considering selling but everything i look at i think nah its not gonna be as much fun as the r. Think i would be silly to sell it just now

75bad mot this time meh - Page 3 Empty Re: bad mot this time meh 31st December 2014, 9:55 pm

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

^ Sounds like a sensible plan. All reasonably minor stuff on your R & mainly time consuming things such as underbody cleaning & sealing.
Decent R's that Nissan built ( not a lad who rebuilt it in a shed ) are bloody well built & incredibly reliable. Standard engines will run for years at 1.2 bar boost if it mapped right & serviced well. Standard transmission in good order will handle 350-400hphp without any bother unless you on a paddle clutch & launching it.
The R is superb so don't forget that :-) other plus is resale value will improve slightly so a tidy well maintained R should easily fetch £4K-£5k+ rather than the £2k-£3k that has been the UK trend.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum