Gtir Motorsport club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Gtir Motorsport club

Welcome to the largest Nissan Pulsar & Sunny GTI-R Forum. Masses of info, friendly members, cars for sale, lots of spares. Best forum on the net by far. Everything your gtir needs is here.

You are not connected. Please login or register

bad mot this time meh

+9
Gostek
nomad
GTI-R US
Supernova
Bones
Gaz GTiR
toaster55
Mr B
Digitalfaze
13 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 3]

26bad mot this time meh - Page 2 Empty Re: bad mot this time meh 2nd December 2014, 10:08 am

GTI-R US

GTI-R US
Management
Management

it depends on what hes failed it on

if jagged edges then do as I said earlier and lash it up with a bit of gauze and filler then problem solved as far as mot goes
looking at the arch though it definitely needs sorting properly so is worth it being cut out or it will only break through again with filler / gauze

as for exhaust surely he can mig the bit that's blowing as will be cheaper than swapping the system over for sure, just because its stainless does not mean it cant be welded with normal mig wire.

geezer sounds like a bit of an anal arse tbh, have you got the failiure sheet you can take a snap of so we can see exactly what hes pulled it on?

Nissan Performance & Tuning Centre
Services provided

Forge Engine rebuilds to specification
Body Restoration, Fabrication, Repair
Paint refinishing facilities
Ecu re-mapping-Performance upgrades
Auto Diagnostics, Injector cleaning  
Race & Suspension setup
General Servicing, Mots, tyre fitting
Full workshop facilities
http://www.gti-r-us.co.uk www.force500.com

27bad mot this time meh - Page 2 Empty Re: bad mot this time meh 2nd December 2014, 10:13 am

Digitalfaze

Digitalfaze
web admin
web admin

Yeah ill snap the mot sheet tonight, guess the perks of going to halfords for an mot lol. The arch was on my todo list but worst time of year for an mot i guess

http://www.avaloncreative.co.uk

28bad mot this time meh - Page 2 Empty Re: bad mot this time meh 2nd December 2014, 10:15 am

GTI-R US

GTI-R US
Management
Management

noooooo! bad bad place no better than taking it to f1 or any other quick fit type garage, these type of places have absolutely no discretion as they go exactly by the book to the tee

Nissan Performance & Tuning Centre
Services provided

Forge Engine rebuilds to specification
Body Restoration, Fabrication, Repair
Paint refinishing facilities
Ecu re-mapping-Performance upgrades
Auto Diagnostics, Injector cleaning  
Race & Suspension setup
General Servicing, Mots, tyre fitting
Full workshop facilities
http://www.gti-r-us.co.uk www.force500.com

29bad mot this time meh - Page 2 Empty Re: bad mot this time meh 2nd December 2014, 10:28 am

Digitalfaze

Digitalfaze
web admin
web admin

They have been really good previously, past 2 mots have passed with flying colours

30bad mot this time meh - Page 2 Empty Re: bad mot this time meh 2nd December 2014, 10:53 am

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

He's failed it on structural corrosion near suspension points on the 30cm judgement.
Technically he's in his rights to do so, a kinder MOT man may of poked it less & marked as advisory if inner arch only scabby on very edge but for sure it needs work inner & outer arch for long term solution.
Will cost you 25% of what it will cost to weld properly just to do inelegant job & get MOT'd to your favour so not much to gain really.
If Mongoose does need welding that going be easy & as cheap as like £10-£20 possibly if body shop add it to arch bill or you pull off offending section & pop in friendly garage - metal work shop. Hopefully exhaust is gasket though as then you can tick that off yourself for pence.
Likes of Halfords & Kwik-Fit are not the best but for sure they have the odd decent employee :-/ assume u got discount on MOT too.

31bad mot this time meh - Page 2 Empty Re: bad mot this time meh 2nd December 2014, 11:25 am

Digitalfaze

Digitalfaze
web admin
web admin

Yeah my fiance is duty manager at the nearby store so pay £20 for my mots, ive got a good bodyshop quoting me for tge arch and a panel has been ordered so guess ill have a shell with good arches, guess it will only make the car worth a bit more when the time comes

32bad mot this time meh - Page 2 Empty Re: bad mot this time meh 2nd December 2014, 11:44 am

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

Digitalfaze wrote:Yeah my fiance is duty manager at the nearby store so pay £20 for my mots, ive got a good bodyshop quoting me for tge arch and a panel has been ordered so guess ill have a shell with good arches, guess it will only make the car worth a bit more when the time comes
Yes that's true.
Not going be worth a lot as another one with no MOT & rotten arches.
£300 is nothing really, you can pay that for one minor diagnostic-repair & part, many much newer cars will fail on more than your R has.
I repaired what started of as wiper fault & intermittent light faults on a 2008 Pug and that required new fuse box due to corrosion from water ingress & bcu needed reflashing as firmware damaged from shorts or jump starting & was stuck in the famous Pug economy mode, that cost just over £300 :-O
The old R's are pretty goody really & if keep on top of basic maintenance they super cheap & fun classics :-)
Good luck with your repairs & hope a fresh 12month MOT document is soon in your possession ...

33bad mot this time meh - Page 2 Empty Re: bad mot this time meh 2nd December 2014, 6:56 pm

Bones

Bones
the two star club
the two star club

My advice is find an independent local garage and get friendly with them. Just stick to them for all the jobs you can't do so they know your a regular. My local garage lets me help him now with lights and horn tests etc. I just sit in the car and do what he asks and he charges me a bit less . Pays off to because he knows I do all my own mechanics so last time I took it the breaks were on solid as I'd not used it all winter, it drove ok but you struggled to turn the wheels by hand, he passed it and said ( I've passed it for you cos I know you'll take it straight home and fix it) which I did , within the hour it was on stands with all 4 callipers off and stripped. Sorted and it saved me trudging back down to his garage

34bad mot this time meh - Page 2 Empty Re: bad mot this time meh 2nd December 2014, 7:18 pm

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

Bones wrote:My advice is find an independent local garage and get friendly with them. Just stick to them for all the jobs you can't do so they know your a regular. My local garage lets me help him now with lights and horn tests etc. I just sit in the car and do what he asks and he charges me a bit less . Pays off to because he knows I do all my own mechanics so last time I took it the breaks were on solid as I'd not used it all winter, it drove ok but you struggled to turn the wheels by hand, he passed it and said ( I've passed it for you cos I know you'll take it straight home and fix it) which I did , within the hour it was on stands with all 4 callipers off and stripped. Sorted and it saved me trudging back down to his garage
+1 on that view.
If you use same one & they know you and car they can trust slipping more things as advisory as they know you on top of the maintenance & it will be done.
Less garages like that these days as if MOT inspector turns up he got some explaining to do plus liability with customers wondering around the workshop & actually involved in job functions is a potential wallet raping for the owner, shame H&S overruled good old fashioned gumption/common sense .
Problem is these MOT guys see some awful shit & deal with car owners who don't even check oil or tyre pressures in a year & complain at cost of a wiper blade so then it hard to let stuff slide as you know the tight f00kers won't spend a dime keeping car maintained & safe & fault will remain for another year.

35bad mot this time meh - Page 2 Empty Re: bad mot this time meh 5th December 2014, 12:51 pm

Digitalfaze

Digitalfaze
web admin
web admin

cheers for the help guys, still waiting for a quote from the bodyshop Sad

36bad mot this time meh - Page 2 Empty Re: bad mot this time meh 5th December 2014, 2:32 pm

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

Bit slow but hopefully good price !
I would expect in uk pay around £300 at best for decent effort & possibly more if inner arch needs quite a bit of new metal.
Prices & quality of work vary so much though so always worth try a few or going with someone recommended.
Also don't be shy to ask how they doing it in terms of weld spots & fact new outer & inner arch get spotted together along with what seam sealers will be used & what will be done on refitting of arch mould, also ask where finishing of paint will be & any blending edges.
When done it worth making sure both inner arches are well undersealed right up to the outer panel lip & also a sensible coating of wax spray  to inner arches would be good.
If wax spray don't go too heavy as that causes more problems than it prevents as can block water drain paths & big ridges of wax create wells for water to sit & work away at eating your car :-(
waxing & underseal is something you can do & in the better weather too, plus you can milk your halfords discount on the required products :-D

37bad mot this time meh - Page 2 Empty Re: bad mot this time meh 5th December 2014, 2:34 pm

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

Have a look at this thread if you want feel better about your quotation :-)
http://www.gtir-motorsport-club.com/t121-replacing-rear-arches

38bad mot this time meh - Page 2 Empty Re: bad mot this time meh 5th December 2014, 2:45 pm

Digitalfaze

Digitalfaze
web admin
web admin

http://www.jvce.co.uk/

this was the place i went to, judging by the audi quattro, porsche gt3 racecar and shelby mustang they had in they might be decent and was quoted around the £230 mark a good few months ago for the arches to be done. im shopping around now but its just time as i need the car for work really Sad" alt="Sad" title="Sad">

dont know if removing bumper, seats and door cards will make a differece to the price?

39bad mot this time meh - Page 2 Empty Re: bad mot this time meh 5th December 2014, 3:34 pm

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

worth removing anyway as may help price & gives them more time on main issue plus saves any handling/ storage issues with parts if you on the job.
Website gives good impression but only way know is look at job they on & ones finished.
I have seen some awful bodywork from some very high tec shops, also seen some beautifully finished panels come out of an old barn.
Really do need research & reference to know who worthy of your hard earned £

40bad mot this time meh - Page 2 Empty Re: bad mot this time meh 5th December 2014, 5:58 pm

Gostek

Gostek
Events Organiser
Events Organiser

I would leave bumper on as they might need it to mach arches to it so they are flush etc

41bad mot this time meh - Page 2 Empty Re: bad mot this time meh 5th December 2014, 7:01 pm

Digitalfaze

Digitalfaze
web admin
web admin

Ok ill just strip out the seats etc, welder coming round tomorrow at 9am to have a proper look and give me a quote

42bad mot this time meh - Page 2 Empty Re: bad mot this time meh 6th December 2014, 9:28 am

Digitalfaze

Digitalfaze
web admin
web admin

well guy came round to quote the welding, £120 or £150 if they need to repair a bit of the sill, thought i was gonna get bent over but that price has made me pretty happy, weld in the new arch, undercoat it and put a white primer on it to protect it till i can get it painted by the bodyshop.

now i just need to sort the sidelights then everything is pretty easy Smile

43bad mot this time meh - Page 2 Empty Re: bad mot this time meh 6th December 2014, 12:02 pm

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

Got a hunch your sidelights is an easy one for  those with wiring ability.
Worth you having bit of look & looking in previous areas such as relay that was done as I suspect issue more than likely a sloppy repair on the original fault.
If you give detailed info such as all sidelights not working or rear are etc etc it will help people give you ideas where look/what try.
also checking voltage to relays & monitoring voltage when sidelight switch turn on/off will be useful.

44bad mot this time meh - Page 2 Empty Re: bad mot this time meh 6th December 2014, 2:56 pm

johnny gtir

johnny gtir

As said fuses relays the water gets in the sidelight bulb holders on the front and wires at the back of the front sidelights snap. Check earths near the rear. Maybe someones butchered the wires on a rear light for to get the fog. Yes you normally use the reverse light but people cut the wrong wires. Few ideas ther. Another guess might be the stalk itself worn

45bad mot this time meh - Page 2 Empty Re: bad mot this time meh 6th December 2014, 5:45 pm

Digitalfaze

Digitalfaze
web admin
web admin

Yeah its both sidelights gonna try and change the relay apart from that im pretty much cluless with electricals

46bad mot this time meh - Page 2 Empty Re: bad mot this time meh 6th December 2014, 5:59 pm

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

Both ! front and rears ? fronts only ?

47bad mot this time meh - Page 2 Empty Re: bad mot this time meh 6th December 2014, 7:20 pm

Digitalfaze

Digitalfaze
web admin
web admin

just the fronts, both front sidelights

48bad mot this time meh - Page 2 Empty Re: bad mot this time meh 6th December 2014, 7:46 pm

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

Well not stalk switch then & not relay as all on same relay but do check wiring at relay seems last repair effort was in that area as such.
I would check connectors at front & wiring at front but don't rule out 2 dead bulbs first or combination of 1 dead bulb & one bad/dirty connector.
You can use a simple bulb test light with earth clipped straight to battery & check for power at the plugs for front side lights,good chance you can sort that yourself making this MOT pretty simple hopefully. Good luck & a bit of R love in the veins is all that needed sir.
Other option would be dumping current partner for an auto electrician :-/ perfect for your R's electrics but not likely female auto electricians :-O also would loose the Halfords discount on your current totty :-? best you get busy with the test light I think :-P All the best mr digital :-)

Last edited by Mr B on 6th December 2014, 7:55 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : being funny)

49bad mot this time meh - Page 2 Empty Re: bad mot this time meh 6th December 2014, 8:37 pm

Digitalfaze

Digitalfaze
web admin
web admin

Thanks very much for all your help ill try all the above Smile

50bad mot this time meh - Page 2 Empty Re: bad mot this time meh 6th December 2014, 8:49 pm

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

Good luck, it going be a great chRistmas :-D

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum