Gtir Motorsport club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Gtir Motorsport club

Welcome to the largest Nissan Pulsar & Sunny GTI-R Forum. Masses of info, friendly members, cars for sale, lots of spares. Best forum on the net by far. Everything your gtir needs is here.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Definitive Breather setup

+8
vvlwezz
jambo_gtir
Darrooon
RO_SUNNY
johnny gtir
GTI-R US
nomad
keastygtir
12 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

26Definitive Breather setup - Page 2 Empty Re: Definitive Breather setup 16th May 2014, 7:30 am

jambo_gtir

RO_SUNNY wrote:I have just drilled 2 extra breathers on top of the rocker cover!.....

2 x 16 mm ....I think they should be more than enough!

Pictures coming soon....

I might do that this weekend actually  Cool  where abouts you drill them mate?

27Definitive Breather setup - Page 2 Empty Re: Definitive Breather setup 16th May 2014, 2:54 pm

RO_SUNNY

RO_SUNNY

You need to take the baffles out.

I will a diy thread tonight.....with pics and everything

28Definitive Breather setup - Page 2 Empty Re: Definitive Breather setup 16th May 2014, 6:34 pm

RO_SUNNY

RO_SUNNY

Ok so let's begin.

1'st of all you need to drill out the original rivets that hold the baffle plates in place using a 7mm drill.
Definitive Breather setup - Page 2 20140515_163704_zpsc2bbcbea
Definitive Breather setup - Page 2 20140515_164334_zpsde57f92b

Than....you will discover how much junk that baffle plates are hiding....and all of which is going into your engine
Definitive Breather setup - Page 2 20140515_165124_zps150fe3d9
Definitive Breather setup - Page 2 20140515_165131_zps4aca9580
Definitive Breather setup - Page 2 20140515_165141_zpsb2051d00

After the drilling of the rivets use a heat gun to ''moisten'' the black silicone.
Than gently .,...with a flat screwdriver take out the baffle plates....if needed slighlty enlarge the holes which you previously did.
After that use a hand drill with a tool like this one to completly remove the silicone
Definitive Breather setup - Page 2 20140515_172225_zps82872219

After that you need to find a right place for your new breathers...I have choosen this spots and used a 16 mm drill to make the holes.
After drilling I have found 2 pieces of 90 deg from some old air con lines.

Definitive Breather setup - Page 2 20140515_172220_zps9c8e36e5
Definitive Breather setup - Page 2 20140515_172212_zps3ce646ff
Definitive Breather setup - Page 2 20140516_122422_zpsf8e31423

After that I have welded them in place
Definitive Breather setup - Page 2 20140516_161046_zps95ceac97
Definitive Breather setup - Page 2 20140516_161051_zpsc88a51bc

I don't have pictures ....but I will upload some tommorow (on putting back the baffle plates).
I will be using some 4mm screws......
Where the rivets were.....drill and tap to suit a 4mm screw (or whatever you like) but ensure that you don't drill too much....so that you wil perforate the other side of the rocker cover.

P.s. I will also make an catch can.....which migh be available at request:D:D:D:D:D
Enjoy

29Definitive Breather setup - Page 2 Empty Re: Definitive Breather setup 16th May 2014, 6:53 pm

RO_SUNNY

RO_SUNNY

Ahhhhhh....
I forgot...the extra breathers are 16mm in diam....because the original is 16mm....and I thought that's the best way of doing it!

30Definitive Breather setup - Page 2 Empty Re: Definitive Breather setup 17th May 2014, 3:28 pm

RO_SUNNY

RO_SUNNY

Ok....so now for the final step.

I have used this......you can use whatever you like Smile)
I have drilled a 3 mm hole and than used an 4x0.7 to tap it.
Definitive Breather setup - Page 2 20140517_111317_zps3672ce5e
Than....just screw back the baffle plates....et voila.....baffle splates back in place!

Definitive Breather setup - Page 2 20140517_123130_zpsb46e7366

Just for your info ....on the back of the baffle plates....there's only one small and flimsy mesh type screen and that's about it.....and oh....the rocker cover without the baffle plates looks like a maze....and that's the reason why it stop the oil from comming out the breathers

31Definitive Breather setup - Page 2 Empty Re: Definitive Breather setup 7th November 2014, 5:51 pm

vvlwezz

Definitive Breather setup - Page 2 20141110

32Definitive Breather setup - Page 2 Empty Re: Definitive Breather setup 7th November 2014, 5:52 pm

vvlwezz

On this, thats how ive done mine.

This is on an almera gti though, seperator is built in the rocker cover

33Definitive Breather setup - Page 2 Empty Re: Definitive Breather setup 7th November 2014, 7:02 pm

johnny gtir

johnny gtir

Just asking as i blocked the bottom of my forge oil seperator off as the pipe goin to block i found got white sludgy due to condensation did not want shitty oil going back into engine. Whats your thourts ?

34Definitive Breather setup - Page 2 Empty Re: Definitive Breather setup 9th November 2014, 11:04 am

Animaldaz

Johnny I did the same with my forge. It used to very quickly emulsify in there, so I moved in from the slam panel to the n/s inner wing as I thought the cold air blowing onto it was making the situation worse. I then blocked off the drain outlet. Much better since doing that, only downside is having to regularly drain it.

35Definitive Breather setup - Page 2 Empty Re: Definitive Breather setup 9th November 2014, 1:58 pm

johnny gtir

johnny gtir

Yep was just woundering if wez will have that issue with that breather filter

36Definitive Breather setup - Page 2 Empty Re: Definitive Breather setup 11th February 2015, 2:40 pm

grim_d

grim_d

Just to drag up another old topic Laughing

What's the purpose of the restrictor from the standard separator?

My car has none of the plenum pipework and the pcv outlet was bunged, seemed to be fine when it had the gti rocker cover on but now that I have changed to a gtir the breather was spitting a lot of oil from it.

Have stolen the pcv from my other engine and knocked the inside out, just venting to atmosphere, car seemed happier but that will just be a placebo on my part, we will see if it stops spitting oil.

Before anyone mentions excessive blow by/rings etc, had a leak down test today and all is good.

Here my temporary setup, need some longer hose and something to catch it in.

Definitive Breather setup - Page 2 IMG_20150211_143542

Definitive Breather setup - Page 2 IMG_20150211_143457

Definitive Breather setup - Page 2 DSC_0082

37Definitive Breather setup - Page 2 Empty Re: Definitive Breather setup 20th January 2016, 3:47 am

gtir_woody

gtir_woody

I just read through these topics and its really interesting. Gives you a heap of info on how the breather ventilation system works on NA and turbos and also the difference between SR models. Really helped me understand how this works

http://www.sr20-forum.com/information-library/34413-crank-case-ventilation-fully-explained-naturally-aspirated-edition.html

http://www.sr20-forum.com/information-library/44727-crank-case-ventilation-fully-explained-turbocharged-edition.html

38Definitive Breather setup - Page 2 Empty Re: Definitive Breather setup 10th June 2016, 1:05 pm

shroom

shroom

Just to drag up an old thread, I am trying to sort my breather system out as I dont have the carbon canister and there was a pipe missing on the PCV pipework so it was running like a sack of poop on tick over.

Now I have removed all the PVC pipework and blocked the PVC valve off using a bolt to see if it helped idle and it has helped greatly.

Now this is my setup.

PVC piping all removed and blocked.
Nipples blocked off.
Right hand top side of block - T goes to catch can (vents to atmosphere)
restricter pipe to oil separator still in as normal

So basically I have done away with the PVC and instead of the pipe going back to the induction it just goes to a catch can.

Now ideally I don't want to be blocking off the PVC valve right? so I need to punch it through and ideally run that to my catch can along with the other pipe and then either vent to atmosphere (not ideal) or a better method to then link the oil catch can back to the inlet pipe of the turbo.

Just a question, why did people sell the PVC blanking kit then? I know lots and lots brought the kit so why was it acceptable then and now its come to light that its not a good idea to have less breathing.

'Shit' think I need to sell my Sunny!

But woman cant replace a sheep
Oh I wish that for the peace!
But I really cant find my honey
The only one I would give my money
Is one with a great big fleece
And then I would be at peace...

39Definitive Breather setup - Page 2 Empty Re: Definitive Breather setup 10th June 2016, 1:37 pm

shroom

shroom

I will upload a picture when I get home

40Definitive Breather setup - Page 2 Empty Re: Definitive Breather setup 10th June 2016, 5:59 pm

shroom

shroom

Definitive Breather setup - Page 2 Screenshot_2016-06-10-14-12-28_zpsskbfi88s

Lile this..

The red represents the pipe from the old pvc outlet on rocker to the catch can then from the catch can to the intake pipe!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum