Gtir Motorsport club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Gtir Motorsport club

Welcome to the largest Nissan Pulsar & Sunny GTI-R Forum. Masses of info, friendly members, cars for sale, lots of spares. Best forum on the net by far. Everything your gtir needs is here.

You are not connected. Please login or register

breather set up .. Please someone confirm I've done it right

+3
buckym120
mike74
ROB_IOW
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

ROB_IOW

ROB_IOW
the two star club
the two star club

Right then.

My breather setup has had many variations .
None have ever looked right .

So now this is how it's plumbed in.

Pcv removed and I straight through fitting inserted into rocker cover .
Pipe from this fitting across top of plenum to a T piece .

One side of T Piece goes to the pipe /breather on the right side of rocker cover by the distributor .
The other side of T piece goes via a pipe into my catch can .
From the other fitting on my catch can it gets fed via a pipe into my metal induction pipe between air flow meter and turbo .

Does that sound right?

My next mod is to the catch can .
Going to take the lid off and put a metal partition inside and then fill either side with wire wool

mike74

mike74

Sounds about right to me. Have you still got the separator on the front right of the engine too? I found that a bit of thickish plastic sheet (ie ice cream tub) placed in between the ports on the catch can worked well enough without anything else inside. If possible I would go for something plastic rather than wire wool in case some got into the inlet tube. Maybe something like the net you get babybels inside? Mmmmm...babybels Smile

ROB_IOW

ROB_IOW
the two star club
the two star club

Yes I still have the standard oil separator fitted .

I'll take the catch can to bits in morning .
Thinking maybe instead of wire wool maybe put some foam inside.
Like a few kitchen sponges or summit

buckym120

buckym120

I could be wrong and guess it doesn't make a great difference but believed you simply block off the pcv valve rather than having the hose run to the breather on the right had side of the block and then running into a catch can

ROB_IOW

ROB_IOW
the two star club
the two star club

Some people say don't block pcv some say do .

Who knows

buckym120

buckym120

I'll be honest I found people were conflicting so I've actually gone back to the standard setup as was confused

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

certainly don't block pvc,engine must have breathing ports for blow-by gases, on a high boost car adding vents would be more appropriate to blocking them off. try keep the restrictor pipe from vent near distributor too or at least incorporate similar principal.
Stainless mesh does work well to separate oil from the gas, just build it so have a fine gauze to stop anything being fed to engine, foam likely clog easily and disintegrate .
Lot of good air oil separators available . a lot of the catch can setups are rubbish really .
Is at least one thread on here and a few good ones via google on sr20det breathing setups .

ROB_IOW

ROB_IOW
the two star club
the two star club

I opened the catch can and as expected had no partition.

So I've made a partition using plastic drilled some holes in it so gases can flow from one side to the other .
Then filled each side up with wire wool .
Sealed it all back up and hey Presto a functional catch can

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

I would look at a proper quality air oil separator and still have it attached to vacuum intake for car mainly road and light track, as long as oil is separated really well system is better with vacuum pulling gasses out of crankcase over atmospheric venting . Full on track or drag cars which under boost majority of time is what tends want atmospheric venting.
here's a diagram of a pretty good catch and separator concept .
breather set up ..  Please someone confirm I've done it right  Catch_Can_Diagram

splmum

splmum

Good diagram that, thanks Mr B

johnny gtir

johnny gtir

The forge ones work well. Dose wire wool get used long term ? . Seems fiberus to me and sure with water vapours when oil cools it gets deteriated tempted to say rusty over time ?

splmum

splmum

The packing should be "stainless steel". these are usually bought as "pot scourers", which are balls of stainless steel about 50mm diametre.
See these
http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR1.TRC0.A0.H0.Xstainless+steel+scourers.TRS0&_nkw=stainless+steel+scourers&_sacat=0

johnny gtir

johnny gtir

Yes I have had them maybe cheap shit but they rusted as there made to clean pots n pans so get used and chucked away. Maybe just me but don't think I would use them

mike74

mike74

^^ agree.
my last catch tank never had any balls in it and it caught plenty of shit!

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

A catch can and an air/oil separator can are 2 different things .
Oil separator is only really for system plumbed back as want remove as much oil as possible from gas. Just the dual chamber empty catch can wiill catch shit/oil but they not designed to be plumbed to intake, for a catch can being plumbed in it need proper oil separator chamber, stainless wire or perforated plated layers tend be way, final should be fine mesh filter to stop any debris/wire fragment being pulled in intake. Huge amount of cars from nissan to bmw incorporate this principle but return oil to sump, most oem bit of a cheap effort to start with and at 25yrs old far from it's best, catching oil is better than feeding it to sump really but obviously from an oem standpoint not a great service sale point .

gtir_woody

gtir_woody

I wouldn't completely block the pcv, engine has to breathe as B said. Some people have problems with excess oil by removing it and others don't. I just have a straight through hose running to my catch can from where pcv was and haven't had a problem in the past.

johnny gtir

johnny gtir

http://www.forgemotorsport.co.uk/Nissan_Sunny_GTiR_Alloy_Oil_Separator_Tank__Kit--product--8.html

johnny gtir

johnny gtir

This is what I use not cheap but works well and sure it's perforated platform system and as in my other thread I just bung the bottom instead of feeding it back into block. Although it works well I don't plumb it back in as if the car dose not get used for a week or few cold damp days moisture gets in and it goes white gunk in bottom of it

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

I wouldn't feed a forge one back in intake either, it only got one perforated baffle and no filter/serviceable filter .
Best ones if plumbing back are serviceable and have baffle section and wire wool chamber and final fine gauze filter before intake port fitting.
I like ones with clear bottom bowl or at least good clear level sight .
Lot of these kits are seriously overpriced and seriously under engineered for product descriptions given.

ROB_IOW

ROB_IOW
the two star club
the two star club

Well since I plumbed this all together . Strangely it starts up better .
Now why would that be?

mike74

mike74

maybe you inadvertently sorted an air leak?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum