Gtir Motorsport club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Gtir Motorsport club

Welcome to the largest Nissan Pulsar & Sunny GTI-R Forum. Masses of info, friendly members, cars for sale, lots of spares. Best forum on the net by far. Everything your gtir needs is here.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Definitive Breather setup

+8
vvlwezz
jambo_gtir
Darrooon
RO_SUNNY
johnny gtir
GTI-R US
nomad
keastygtir
12 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Definitive Breather setup Empty Definitive Breather setup 12th May 2014, 8:48 pm

keastygtir

Hi Guys
I have been reviewing my breather setup at the moment as my car is breathing heavy. I think its down to rings etc but wanted to check the breather config with people. I have the PCV and throttle body system deleted. The standard oil separator is in position and the old pipe that fed to the intake is now vented to a catch can.

does that sound right?

Thanks

Last edited by keastygtir on 12th May 2014, 8:57 pm; edited 1 time in total

2Definitive Breather setup Empty Re: Definitive Breather setup 12th May 2014, 8:53 pm

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

Can you post a pic of your set up .... there is a restricter pipe wich runs over the dizzy have you removed this ..... what are your comp readings ?

3Definitive Breather setup Empty Re: Definitive Breather setup 12th May 2014, 9:05 pm

keastygtir

To be honest I cant remember exactly what I have done! I will take a pic when I go down to the car next. The last time on comp tested it it was pretty good.

The thing that made me think about it was last time I ran the car the was a definite mist puffing out of the catch pipe. Also I kinked that same pipe once and the car smoked like a tar barrel!

I also had recently (within the last year) replaced the rocker gasket and bolts etc but have noticed that I have some leaking from it again.

You dont happen to have a pic of that dissy pipe setup do you?

4Definitive Breather setup Empty Re: Definitive Breather setup 12th May 2014, 9:14 pm

GTI-R US

GTI-R US
Management
Management

In blank the breather that ran to the throttle bodies, it needs to be able to breath at both ends especially.if you don't have the pipe going to the intake so it pulls the gases away

Nissan Performance & Tuning Centre
Services provided

Forge Engine rebuilds to specification
Body Restoration, Fabrication, Repair
Paint refinishing facilities
Ecu re-mapping-Performance upgrades
Auto Diagnostics, Injector cleaning  
Race & Suspension setup
General Servicing, Mots, tyre fitting
Full workshop facilities
http://www.gti-r-us.co.uk www.force500.com

5Definitive Breather setup Empty Re: Definitive Breather setup 12th May 2014, 9:14 pm

johnny gtir

johnny gtir

did you add sealer to your rocker gasket ?

6Definitive Breather setup Empty Re: Definitive Breather setup 12th May 2014, 9:18 pm

keastygtir

yep all sealed on the half moons only.

I found this pic

https://2img.net/h/i745.photobucket.com/albums/xx97/keastygtir/20130909_174402.jpg

The hose running over the dissy I may have changed.

Sorry Bob I dont quite follow.

7Definitive Breather setup Empty Re: Definitive Breather setup 12th May 2014, 9:27 pm

GTI-R US

GTI-R US
Management
Management

The breather / PVC should not be blanked, you will either need to remove the valve if still in there or if it's capped then remove the cap and knock the valve out of the original housing then either
let it breathe to atmosphere
Run it to catchcan
Or revert it back so it breathes via the plenum / throttle bodies

The engine breathing at one end isn't enough especially if the breather pipe that goes back to the induction pipe isn't there as when the turbo spools that draws the gases from the rocker cover

Services provided

Race & Suspension setup
Full workshop facilities

8Definitive Breather setup Empty Re: Definitive Breather setup 12th May 2014, 9:42 pm

keastygtir

Ahh I see. Do you have a PCV gutted that I could use and the standard over the dizzy pipe?

9Definitive Breather setup Empty Re: Definitive Breather setup 12th May 2014, 9:46 pm

GTI-R US

GTI-R US
Management
Management

No il have a PVC on a rocker cover though that I could remove then just knock the little valve out with a punch or similar
Will have the restrict or pipe also

Services provided

Race & Suspension setup
Full workshop facilities

10Definitive Breather setup Empty Re: Definitive Breather setup 12th May 2014, 9:50 pm

keastygtir

Cool PM me a price!

A bit of a balls up on my part then! I have been running like that for ages!

11Definitive Breather setup Empty Re: Definitive Breather setup 12th May 2014, 9:54 pm

GTI-R US

GTI-R US
Management
Management

Yeah fraid so Kev
You'll have a faster easier breathing engine without the blank on there
An engine has to be able to fully breathe

Services provided

Race & Suspension setup
Full workshop facilities

12Definitive Breather setup Empty Re: Definitive Breather setup 12th May 2014, 10:06 pm

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

Not to worry mate i removed the restrictor pipe aswell when adding a catch can .... but will be reverting it back when i sort the engine out ...

13Definitive Breather setup Empty Re: Definitive Breather setup 14th May 2014, 7:13 am

RO_SUNNY

RO_SUNNY

My opinion is that....o R's above 300'ish BHP.....you need to add 2 or more new breather pipes on the rocker cover.

I have had...and still have this issue with my car....at 4000 rpm it was blowing oil mixed with vapors through my breather pipes.....it was filling my catch can (1.5 liters) in about 3 minutes of full throttle.

This is the way ahead IMO.

Definitive Breather setup 13992_10100570621966074_1301710732_n_zpse110ee7d
Definitive Breather setup 11999_10100570621971064_1234907601_n_zpscd7e0708

No matter what all the people which don't know shit about engine mechanics and always bragging on forums........and believe that they mechanics....the reality is exactly like this.

A GtiR engine with 220 bhp has a speed ......an engine with 400 bhp has another speed (a bigger speed).
The factory breathers are calculated to evacuate a certain volume of gases through their diameter....which at bigger powers will become too small.

This is my own opinion .........and if you don't want to make more breathers on you car....don't do it..
I will do at least 2 more ...which will definitely not hurt the engine in any way.

P.S. I hope that what I've wrote makes sense....as I am not an native english speaker:))))))))))))))

14Definitive Breather setup Empty Re: Definitive Breather setup 14th May 2014, 9:58 am

GTI-R US

GTI-R US
Management
Management

^^^
absolutely spot on
engine needs to breathe properly if its restricted it will be down on power and life expectancy will be shortened too

Services provided

Race & Suspension setup
Full workshop facilities

15Definitive Breather setup Empty Re: Definitive Breather setup 14th May 2014, 10:16 am

keastygtir

Some good stuff in this thread. Its one of mods that can easily make things worse if you misinterpret the available information as I have done.

Bob can you price those bits for me please

16Definitive Breather setup Empty Re: Definitive Breather setup 14th May 2014, 10:33 am

GTI-R US

GTI-R US
Management
Management

just call it a tenner for the bits
if you want it delivered by courier will be £10
not getting much time to go to post office now as that takes an hour there and back
paypal addy is bobheywood@btinternet.com or can pay by card over the phone

Services provided

Race & Suspension setup
Full workshop facilities

17Definitive Breather setup Empty Re: Definitive Breather setup 14th May 2014, 11:23 am

keastygtir

Payment Done

thanks

18Definitive Breather setup Empty Re: Definitive Breather setup 14th May 2014, 5:18 pm

Darrooon

Darrooon

Oh shit my breather on the top left has been blocked off by the previous owner

19Definitive Breather setup Empty Re: Definitive Breather setup 15th May 2014, 7:06 am

RO_SUNNY

RO_SUNNY

Should we make this sticky BOB?!\

Or move it in a correct section!

20Definitive Breather setup Empty Re: Definitive Breather setup 15th May 2014, 7:13 am

RO_SUNNY

RO_SUNNY

Anyway....
I will keep the catch can (oil separator) from factory....and also the small tube that goes from the catch can to the rocker cover (behind the the distributor)--> this tube has a fire suppressor inside....so I wouldn't remove that.

21Definitive Breather setup Empty Re: Definitive Breather setup 15th May 2014, 7:24 am

RO_SUNNY

RO_SUNNY

Check this out.....
http://www.sr20-forum.com/information-library/44727-crank-case-ventilation-fully-explained-turbocharged-edition.html

22Definitive Breather setup Empty Re: Definitive Breather setup 15th May 2014, 12:28 pm

jambo_gtir

Yes this is a common problem not just with pulsars but most cars. So many numpties say that the breather can be blocked so the engine isn't sucking in oily vapours and that in return you get cleaner air going in, more power and this. Nissan put it there for a reason.
I had no end of problems with this on mine, I gapped my rings quite big and as a result have more blow-by than standard. Coupled with that I had a crap oil return on turbo and my newly rebuilt engine was smoking all the time.
I now run a scavenge pump for the turbo oit drain and have stuck with standard breather setup but with larger piping.
Job done now Smile

23Definitive Breather setup Empty Re: Definitive Breather setup 15th May 2014, 12:46 pm

jambo_gtir

As I trialed the oil scavenge pump for the turbo, I may buy a an air scavenge pump soon and hook that up to my breather to suck the gasses out....that would be the ultimate solution!

24Definitive Breather setup Empty Re: Definitive Breather setup 15th May 2014, 2:28 pm

jambo_gtir

Another good link explaining this with some calculations....
http://www.106rallye.co.uk/members/dynofiend/breathersystems.pdf
Expains it all in verg good detail!!
If I were to use a vacuum pump it would have to shift a large amount of air to actually be benificial! ( (2x6500x0.005x1.9)/2 = 61.75/60 = >1 litre a second).

25Definitive Breather setup Empty Re: Definitive Breather setup 16th May 2014, 6:51 am

RO_SUNNY

RO_SUNNY

I have just drilled 2 extra breathers on top of the rocker cover!.....

2 x 16 mm ....I think they should be more than enough!

Pictures coming soon....

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum