Gtir Motorsport club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Gtir Motorsport club

Welcome to the largest Nissan Pulsar & Sunny GTI-R Forum. Masses of info, friendly members, cars for sale, lots of spares. Best forum on the net by far. Everything your gtir needs is here.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Car running like a sack of shit!

+12
gtirx2
pulsarmoley
Turbazz
PartyPete
Spark plug spike
ROB_IOW
Concrete-GTIR
Stu
GTI-R US
wrc
Gl3nnGTIR
Hardy172cup
16 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 3]

1Car running like a sack of shit! Empty Car running like a sack of shit! 25th April 2014, 3:21 pm

Hardy172cup

Hardy172cup
the one star club
the one star club

Just been to get some petrol in the R and the misfire has got worse. It's still only every now and then but it feels more severe than before.

I noticed when idling my AFR gauge is rapidly fluctuating between 14 and 16 ish and it used to be fairly stable readings on idle.

I can feel the misfire now when when driving at part throttle.

Also sometimes when I come on boost it will hold back a little but only every now and then. I just tried to put my foot down and when I came on boost it held back severely for a few seconds as if it didn't want to go anywhere and then it went ok after a second or two, I've noticed this holding back when coming on boost from time to time before but it's never held back that bad before  confused 

No fault codes coming up when I do fault code check.

2Car running like a sack of shit! Empty Re: Car running like a sack of shit! 25th April 2014, 3:38 pm

Gl3nnGTIR

Gl3nnGTIR

Leaning out then, check all vacums etc bill one may have come off??

3Car running like a sack of shit! Empty Re: Car running like a sack of shit! 25th April 2014, 3:44 pm

Hardy172cup

Hardy172cup
the one star club
the one star club

I'm going to have to go over the damn thing with a fine tooth comb, I've checked the vac pipes more times than I want to think about lol I could do with a way of pressure testing it to try to find any leaks

It dosent seem to be running crazy lean on my AFR gauge but it's kind of difficult to monitor it when driving, it weird how it's fluctuating like crazy at idle though.

Im sick of seeing it at the moment so I'll go out and check it over later or tomorrow. I do love it but it seriously pisses me off at times lol!

4Car running like a sack of shit! Empty Re: Car running like a sack of shit! 25th April 2014, 3:50 pm

wrc

wrc

Sounds to me like you have a weak or bad spark, OR quite likely getting spark blow out on boost. That would explain holding back and your afr's going mad.

Assuming you have the correct plugs we all run, try gap them down 0.1mm - Do you know what they are gapped at now?

5Car running like a sack of shit! Empty Re: Car running like a sack of shit! 25th April 2014, 3:50 pm

GTI-R US

GTI-R US
Management
Management

if you cant fix it bill then drop it down to me and il sort it for you

but try fix it yourself first as ive not got a lot of time now im on my lonesome

Nissan Performance & Tuning Centre
Services provided

Forge Engine rebuilds to specification
Body Restoration, Fabrication, Repair
Paint refinishing facilities
Ecu re-mapping-Performance upgrades
Auto Diagnostics, Injector cleaning  
Race & Suspension setup
General Servicing, Mots, tyre fitting
Full workshop facilities
http://www.gti-r-us.co.uk www.force500.com

6Car running like a sack of shit! Empty Re: Car running like a sack of shit! 25th April 2014, 3:52 pm

wrc

wrc

You wont get any fault code readings from a misfire generally as the ecu isnt intelligent enough on these to detect cylinder misfire.

7Car running like a sack of shit! Empty Re: Car running like a sack of shit! 25th April 2014, 3:58 pm

Hardy172cup

Hardy172cup
the one star club
the one star club

Plugs are gapped to 0.7mm if anything I think it runs better with a larger plug gap. I've tried changing most of the ignition parts and I'm running out of ideas now. I run NGK bcr8es by the way.

Bob I'm seriously thinking about dropping it off with you it's just the cost of fuel because you are a good way from me but if I can't sort it out myself then I think that's what I'll do.

I'll try changing anything else I can think of but if I have no joy then I will arrange to bring it down for you to look at.

8Car running like a sack of shit! Empty Re: Car running like a sack of shit! 25th April 2014, 4:00 pm

Stu

Stu
Admin
Admin

To me it sounds like an fpr fault! Check the hose on it for splits...

What leads are you using tho and how old is the rotor arm and cap?
Have you looked to see if the screw is still in rotor arm?
What plugs and what are they gapped to?

9Car running like a sack of shit! Empty Re: Car running like a sack of shit! 25th April 2014, 4:03 pm

Stu

Stu
Admin
Admin

Also the ignition amp is a common fault so if you can swap that over to a known good one.

10Car running like a sack of shit! Empty Re: Car running like a sack of shit! 25th April 2014, 4:09 pm

Hardy172cup

Hardy172cup
the one star club
the one star club

Brand new dizzy cap and rotor arm, I'm using stock leads but I've tried swapping them over with another se of stock leads and it seems the same. I've tried changing the amp I think? Is that the transistor that connects to the coil? If so I tried changing that over too

11Car running like a sack of shit! Empty Re: Car running like a sack of shit! 25th April 2014, 4:13 pm

Concrete-GTIR

Concrete-GTIR

the holding back could be det sensor, it wont always come up on fault code test

12Car running like a sack of shit! Empty Re: Car running like a sack of shit! 25th April 2014, 4:15 pm

ROB_IOW

ROB_IOW
the two star club
the two star club

Your a memeber of the AA aint ya?
Phone em up and tell them it's missfiring on your drive

You might just get somone who knows his stuff

13Car running like a sack of shit! Empty Re: Car running like a sack of shit! 25th April 2014, 4:17 pm

Stu

Stu
Admin
Admin

The ignition amp is to the side of the dizzy. It's clamped to the side of the block. They often get hot and cause running issues!

When you put the inlet manifold back on, did you put a new crush gasket on? An air leak there can cause problems.

14Car running like a sack of shit! Empty Re: Car running like a sack of shit! 25th April 2014, 4:18 pm

Stu

Stu
Admin
Admin

Aa knowing something about a Gtir? Doubt it lol

Last edited by Stu on 25th April 2014, 4:18 pm; edited 1 time in total

http://www.j10-meets.co.uk

15Car running like a sack of shit! Empty Re: Car running like a sack of shit! 25th April 2014, 4:18 pm

Hardy172cup

Hardy172cup
the one star club
the one star club

I had thought about the det sensor but it's not showing any fault codes at all.

The holding back is a random occurrence, it only does it from time to time and always when coming on boost. It's asif you hear the turbo spool up and it's making boost but it's asif it making less power than before it was on boost if that makes sence? Again it only does it from time to time. Sometimes it holds back for a second or two coming on boost, other times it dosent hold back at ll

16Car running like a sack of shit! Empty Re: Car running like a sack of shit! 25th April 2014, 4:19 pm

Hardy172cup

Hardy172cup
the one star club
the one star club

I've never had the inlet mani off stu. This engine came with plenum and throttle bodies and everything attatched

17Car running like a sack of shit! Empty Re: Car running like a sack of shit! 25th April 2014, 4:20 pm

Stu

Stu
Admin
Admin

Boost solenoid?

18Car running like a sack of shit! Empty Re: Car running like a sack of shit! 25th April 2014, 4:21 pm

Hardy172cup

Hardy172cup
the one star club
the one star club

I don think its the boost solenod but I'm not sure on that one. I'll try removing it to see if it still holds back at all but I'm sure it used to do it even when using a bleed valve

19Car running like a sack of shit! Empty Re: Car running like a sack of shit! 25th April 2014, 4:42 pm

Spark plug spike

Spark plug spike

Hardy172cup wrote:Brand new dizzy cap and rotor arm, I'm using stock leads but I've tried swapping them over with another se of stock leads and it seems the same. I've tried changing the amp I think? Is that the transistor that connects to the coil? If so I tried changing that over too

I have just sorted my misfire out changed plugs no change  scratch ordered a new set of blueprint leads and hey presto no misfire and pulls all the way through the rev range no issues thumbsup 

I also tried different sets of leads but still had a misfire.

Got the leads from here only took 2 days to arrive.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/150717107568?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

20Car running like a sack of shit! Empty Re: Car running like a sack of shit! 25th April 2014, 5:00 pm

Hardy172cup

Hardy172cup
the one star club
the one star club

Thanks for that spike, I'll try a new set of leads, can't hurt anything Wink

I've just pulled the carbon canister off of its bracket and if I shake it I can here something rattling around inside. Is that normal?

21Car running like a sack of shit! Empty Re: Car running like a sack of shit! 25th April 2014, 5:57 pm

PartyPete

PartyPete
the one star club
the one star club

My old pulsar developed a fault similar to this, had a bunch of people look over it and couldn't find anything! Until one day when I was having a look, I noticed a nut had come off one of the bolts on the inlet plenum, so was obviously drawing in air, in short what ever it is it will be something of nothing! So don't give up!

22Car running like a sack of shit! Empty Re: Car running like a sack of shit! 25th April 2014, 6:08 pm

Turbazz

Maybe the sensor is temperamental?? With a metre you can check it that's what I did!

But it's not easy to get to. I had the original y brackets still in place. Made it a really difficult job

If you can get to it once connected and earthed correctly. U can back probe the plug and get a reading of 2.5 volts.

My faulty sensor showed zero.

23Car running like a sack of shit! Empty Re: Car running like a sack of shit! 25th April 2014, 6:41 pm

pulsarmoley

pulsarmoley

Check your rotor arm is tight in the dizzy as can cause intermittent power if loose as the ignition timing keeps changing.

Everybody needs a bosom for a pillow...

24Car running like a sack of shit! Empty Re: Car running like a sack of shit! 25th April 2014, 7:05 pm

Hardy172cup

Hardy172cup
the one star club
the one star club

I'll check the dizzy and rotor arm out make sure all is fixed on properly.

Where Is the DET sensor located?

25Car running like a sack of shit! Empty Re: Car running like a sack of shit! 25th April 2014, 7:22 pm

Gl3nnGTIR

Gl3nnGTIR

On the back of the block below water pipes i think?? Someone may correct lol

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 3]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum