Gtir Motorsport club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Gtir Motorsport club

Welcome to the largest Nissan Pulsar & Sunny GTI-R Forum. Masses of info, friendly members, cars for sale, lots of spares. Best forum on the net by far. Everything your gtir needs is here.

You are not connected. Please login or register

EGT where is the better place to locate the sender??

+3
johnny gtir
nomad
fred05
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

fred05

fred05
french connection
french connection

Thinking about my EGT.... where is the better place to locate the sender??
- on the manifold?
- on the turbo?
- on the turbo elbow?
- on the downpipe?

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

I think dave ....has got a turbo elbow bogdan made with a bung in for the egt sensor ....

johnny gtir

johnny gtir

Some say the manifold left or right side can not remember is it cylinder 4 the coldest or 1 i forget now but someone might add to this

fred05

fred05
french connection
french connection

So after little reading about the subject, the closest the head the bung is, the more accurate are the readings....but you will read only the port on wich the sensor is....

so best is to put at the gathering of the 4 exhaust pipes....before the turbo....

maybe Dave will say something about that....it will be helpfull! Very Happy 

GTI-R US

GTI-R US
Management
Management

its best to put it on the manifold itself fred as close to the head as possible as this will give you a true reading of eg temps direct from cylinders which can tell you a great deal with regards to timing issues and other related probs affecting cylinder temps.

if its placed after the turbo its still very handy but readings will not directly be a result of the cylinder temps as you have the turbo to add to the equasion

http://www.gti-r-us.co.uk www.force500.com

watoga

watoga
ecu technician
ecu technician

Hi Fred,

I will have 2 EGT sensors installed; one on the exhaust manifold and the other in the turbo elbow that Bogdan is currently making.

Bob is correct that placing the EGT in the actual exhaust manifold is best as this is a direct measurement of the temperatures closest to the combustion chamber, and is therefore very helpful when mapping. Also, as Johnny said, there is one header that runs hottest in our GTiRs. It's either cylinder 1 or cylinder 4 (i.e. one of the end ports), but I can't quite remember off the top of my head which one is which. I've been told to place the EGT in the cylinder closest to the FPR, which assumes that if there is a fuel problem (i.e. drop in pressure) the cylinder closest to the FPR is the last one to be supplied with fuel and will therefore be the leanest (meaning hottest).

My desire to place another EGT in the turbo elbow is just my idea of 'fun'. We know that a turbo running in the most efficient part of its compressor map will result in optimum conversion of exhaust energy into boost. I wanted to do a few runs at different boost levels (i.e. corresponding to different efficiencies on the compressor maps) and measure the temperature drop between the hottest header and the turbo elbow. I would imagine that when the turbo is most happiest (i.e. at its most efficient point on the compressor map) then the temperature drop will be greatest (i.e. cooler post-turbo temperatures). On the other hand, if I run the turbo hard (say at 1.2+ bar) then I would expect the post-turbo temperatures to increase as a result of the worsening compressor efficiencies. Like I said, just my idea of 'fun' as I may actually learn nothing LOL. But if it works it might be a useful measure of how happy (or unhappy!) my turbo is  Wink 

Cheers,
Dave

http://star.pst.qub.ac.uk/~dbj

fred05

fred05
french connection
french connection

Razz Razz  happy turbo!!

ok well, but what i don't understand is if you put the egt sensor on one of cylinder, you readings will be on only one cylinder. if one of the other has some troubles for any reasons, you will not see it....unless you put 4 EGT sensors...

GTI-R US

GTI-R US
Management
Management

yes that's true but your reading should always be biased toward the hottest cylinder but imo its better to put it near the collector on the branch of the hottest cylinder which as said will be no 4 but youll get a more average reading near the collectors of the header

http://www.gti-r-us.co.uk www.force500.com

fred05

fred05
french connection
french connection

Smile ok well! i'll do this so!

vmax85

vmax85

i built it into the collector of the header before the flange to turbo.

i look if i can find a pic of it.

greets

fred05

fred05
french connection
french connection

Thanks vmax, Would be great!

simigeri

simigeri

I think the best place is on manifold, at the cylinder No 1 (pulleys side).
Because this cylinder is at the end of the fuel rail, so if any fuel pressure failure happen, this cylinder will run whit lean mix first, and that's why it will be hot first.
But, if anybody fear about a part of melted EGT sensor will destroy the turbo, then put it to the J elbow.

EDIT:

Sorry, but it seems, that the cylinder No 4 sitting at the end of fuel rail...

Last edited by simigeri on 7th April 2014, 7:37 pm; edited 1 time in total

fred05

fred05
french connection
french connection

interesting!

thanks mate!! and welcome here Wink

simigeri

simigeri

And the best place to fuel press sensor?

watoga

watoga
ecu technician
ecu technician

simigeri wrote:And the best place to fuel press sensor?

I'd place it as close to the FPR as possible, that way you can fine tune exactly what fuel pressure you run (if its an adjustable FPR) without having to take small leaks/issues into consideration. Plus the FPR is right beside the rail so its as close as realistically possible to the true rail pressure. Some aftermarket FPRs have a gauge port to plug directly into to make your life easier.

Cheers,
Dave

http://star.pst.qub.ac.uk/~dbj

simigeri

simigeri

Somebody can tell me temps about the right EGT values? Measured at the manifold, at idle, crousing, wot?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum