Gtir Motorsport club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Gtir Motorsport club

Welcome to the largest Nissan Pulsar & Sunny GTI-R Forum. Masses of info, friendly members, cars for sale, lots of spares. Best forum on the net by far. Everything your gtir needs is here.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Best place to buy exhaust studs?

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Best place to buy exhaust studs? Empty Best place to buy exhaust studs? 3rd December 2014, 8:41 am

ROB_IOW

ROB_IOW
the two star club
the two star club

Gonna replace all the exhaust studs and nuts on manifold .

Other than ebay where can i get them from?
Does anyone do a box of studs and nuts ?
Also whats the best nuts? any special heat treated nuts available ?

I've already got a friend bringing me stainless bolts and nuts for the rest ofthe engine bay .
Gonna replace as much as i can with stainless

2Best place to buy exhaust studs? Empty Re: Best place to buy exhaust studs? 3rd December 2014, 11:11 am

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

My local motorfactors do most stud sizes in boxes of 20pcs
For nuts I use k-nutĀ  as found them very durable as high carbon steel & locking function works perfect, also they are slim head (reduced hex) so you using smaller spanner/socket which enables easier fitting in tight spots of a manifold, another plus is they available in 1.00 & 1.25 thread pitch in m8 m10 & m12 sizes. the copper nuts are shite on turbo manifolds.
Did use some mechanical self locking (deformed thread) stainless nuts but found they come loose as expand too much with turbo manifold heat.
k-nuts are also reasonable low price so easily refreshed every few years if needed. I bought them in packs of 100 & 50 as worked out far cheaper & soon use them if do a few turbo/manifold jobs.
Best place to buy exhaust studs? Ecrou-aviation-hexagonal
Another very good option is normal nuts in quality stainless & use locking tab principle from a standard steel-alloy washer.
Principle here is bending short length of washer edge to 90degrees & using air die grinder to cut mating grooves for this washer lip in manifold flange. You then fit manifold and washers so lip in mating grove & fit stainless nuts and bend up aposing edge of washer to lock the nut (ideally need pre-bend washer it a little so easier to do in refined work area).
Quite a lot of faffing around as need do it with thought to access once in fitted position but parts are cheap, they last for almost ever & the stainless nut always comes off without unscrewing the stud.
A lot of professional builds do it that way & a lot of engineers do it on high temp fittings with vibration that need easy dismantling & low corrosion.

3Best place to buy exhaust studs? Empty Re: Best place to buy exhaust studs? 8th December 2014, 11:05 pm

ROB_IOW

ROB_IOW
the two star club
the two star club

Ordered from nissan in the end

4Best place to buy exhaust studs? Empty Re: Best place to buy exhaust studs? 17th December 2014, 4:35 pm

ROB_IOW

ROB_IOW
the two star club
the two star club

Well got my new studs from nissan .. Now on the hunt for nuts. . Can anyone give exact thread size for me or point me in direction of these k nuts

5Best place to buy exhaust studs? Empty Re: Best place to buy exhaust studs? 17th December 2014, 5:28 pm

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

M10x1.25
Thought nissan done them as set with nuts too ....
http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/motorsport/nuts-bolts-washers/demon-tweeks-metric-aerospace-locknut-k-nut

Last edited by Mr B on 17th December 2014, 5:36 pm; edited 1 time in total

6Best place to buy exhaust studs? Empty Re: Best place to buy exhaust studs? 17th December 2014, 5:31 pm

ROB_IOW

ROB_IOW
the two star club
the two star club

they only list m10 x 1.50
or m8 x 1.25

7Best place to buy exhaust studs? Empty Re: Best place to buy exhaust studs? 17th December 2014, 5:36 pm

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

refresh link
Same size as subaru so should be plenty of suppliers

8Best place to buy exhaust studs? Empty Re: Best place to buy exhaust studs? 17th December 2014, 6:48 pm

Bones

Bones
the two star club
the two star club

I know my turbo nuts ( no jokes lads) have come loose in the past. If these are cheaper in quantity would a group buy be an idea Mr B ?

9Best place to buy exhaust studs? Empty Re: Best place to buy exhaust studs? 17th December 2014, 7:15 pm

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

Could be an idea. I found k-nuts stay tight & good quality, plenty other options such as original nissan, subaru & most exhaust makers have a range of manifold nuts covering required size.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum