Gtir Motorsport club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Gtir Motorsport club

Welcome to the largest Nissan Pulsar & Sunny GTI-R Forum. Masses of info, friendly members, cars for sale, lots of spares. Best forum on the net by far. Everything your gtir needs is here.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Restoration Project

+9
Cosmic73
DC313
steven_c
mike74
hagger
Ryaneg6freak
typeritr
nomad
johnny gtir
13 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 6]

26Restoration Project - Page 2 Empty Re: Restoration Project 17th September 2017, 5:20 pm

johnny gtir

johnny gtir

Great work mate

27Restoration Project - Page 2 Empty Re: Restoration Project 17th September 2017, 8:17 pm

gtir_woody

gtir_woody

It's amazing how good the rear diffs look cleaned and painted up.

28Restoration Project - Page 2 Empty Re: Restoration Project 17th September 2017, 9:28 pm

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

Wow looks like brand new .... top effort goodpost

29Restoration Project - Page 2 Empty Re: Restoration Project 20th November 2017, 9:26 pm

Pulsartim

Pulsartim

Hi all I've been busy over the last few weeks wading my way through countless bags of bolts and nickle plating them........I'm nearly 90% there now so the end is in sight.

I got the last of the running gear that i could clean up a couple of weeks ago and laid every thing out on the drive to catalogue for my local powder coater, I can't believe how much has made it on too the needs powder coating list.

Restoration Project - Page 2 Img_2311

Restoration Project - Page 2 Img_2310

Restoration Project - Page 2 Img_2314

So fast forward two weeks and I got a call from the powder coater this afternoon to tell me everything was ready and he'd dropped everything off after work, I'm really pleased with the results.

Restoration Project - Page 2 Img_2410

Inspired by lots of nice shiny parts I couldn't resist fitting the Powerflex bush kit straight away.  This has created a very long shopping list of wheel bearings, CV boots,  etc.

Restoration Project - Page 2 Img_2411

Restoration Project - Page 2 Img_2412

Last edited by Pulsartim on 17th June 2018, 2:36 am; edited 1 time in total

30Restoration Project - Page 2 Empty Re: Restoration Project 20th November 2017, 9:42 pm

gtir_woody

gtir_woody

They came up great, was it expensive? you aren't leaving anything untouched, its addictive once you see how good stuff looks Laughing

31Restoration Project - Page 2 Empty Re: Restoration Project 20th November 2017, 9:58 pm

Pulsartim

Pulsartim

Not really, it only cost £375.00 including collection and delivery. I know your right its hard to know were to draw the line.

32Restoration Project - Page 2 Empty Re: Restoration Project 24th December 2017, 11:19 am

Pulsartim

Pulsartim

Well i've been busy over the last few weeks getting the wheel hubs, front wish bones and drive shafts reassembled, I had to do a bit of research on the centre CV joints as nissan list three part numbers for the CV joint grease.  The outboards run standard molybdenum but the inboard need tripod grease at £35.00 a tube, so armed with two tube of grease, new CV boots, ball joints and wheel bearings I set to work.  Then I discover in my haste when remove the old wheel bearings i'd thrown away three circlips, to my dismay Nissan list them but on ordering I got an email saying they were discontinued with no alternatives.  After trawling the internet I found Timken bearings do a range of circlips and I tracked down three (MT411) at Rockauto's in Wisconsin USA so £10.00 later disaster averted.  

Anyway heres the completed items next to a spare to show the before and after.

Restoration Project - Page 2 Img_2510

33Restoration Project - Page 2 Empty Re: Restoration Project 24th December 2017, 11:11 pm

gtir_woody

gtir_woody

Wow they came up looking great!

34Restoration Project - Page 2 Empty Re: Restoration Project 29th December 2017, 1:48 pm

Pulsartim

Pulsartim

While I've been of over Christmas once I got some time for myself I got out in the garage to do some more on the GTiR,  I've pulled out the engine loom all the way to the firewall and after a couple more hours work the engine was out and on the floor.   All I need to do now is lift the front a little more and move it out of the way.

Restoration Project - Page 2 Engine10
Restoration Project - Page 2 Engine12
Restoration Project - Page 2 Engine11

35Restoration Project - Page 2 Empty Re: Restoration Project 29th December 2017, 1:53 pm

johnny gtir

johnny gtir

Well done I got man flu but need to get out and sort mine

36Restoration Project - Page 2 Empty Re: Restoration Project 30th December 2017, 12:17 pm

Pulsartim

Pulsartim

Thanks my plan is to get it fully stripped in the next few weeks an get the shell to the body shop.  I hope your recovered from the man flu!

37Restoration Project - Page 2 Empty Re: Restoration Project 13th January 2018, 5:30 pm

Pulsartim

Pulsartim

This week I lifted the front of the car using the fence post method and man handled the engine out of the way to work on at a later time.  This week has been taken up with refurbing the engine mounts and nickle plating all the attaching bolts and washers and a couple of additional brackets, they came out looking really good.  The engine mount brackets to the chassie legs have been cleaned up and painted this coming week.

Restoration Project - Page 2 Engine13

Restoration Project - Page 2 Img_2511

Restoration Project - Page 2 Img_2512

Last edited by Pulsartim on 17th June 2018, 2:39 am; edited 1 time in total

38Restoration Project - Page 2 Empty Re: Restoration Project 8th February 2018, 8:08 pm

Pulsartim

Pulsartim

So in the last week i've finally got the whole car stripped down, and after having a detailed look around the car I found that dispite the sills looking sound externally when I looked inside them there was rust starting to appear.  After talking to a local car restorer i've decieded to ditch the soda blasting and opted for acid dipping.  So this morning the shell was shipped to have the front and rear windows removed then tomorrow its off down to Birmingham for dipping.  I'm hoping the next three weeks go quick so I can see what actually needs repairing and replacing on the shell.

Restoration Project - Page 2 Img_2710

Last edited by Pulsartim on 17th June 2018, 2:39 am; edited 1 time in total

39Restoration Project - Page 2 Empty Re: Restoration Project 8th February 2018, 9:29 pm

gtir_woody

gtir_woody

Nice, that will give you a good starting point and a plan for moving forwards.

40Restoration Project - Page 2 Empty Re: Restoration Project 8th February 2018, 10:16 pm

typeritr

typeritr

Excellent work, very thorough, I would like to go that far with mine but I don't think I would be able to. Access to a blasting cabinet is great I would think just blast every bolt, I am having trouble getting mine clean enough although that tumbler seems to be doing a good enough job for me.

Hopefully there wont be much needing repair when it comes back from the acid dipping.

41Restoration Project - Page 2 Empty Re: Restoration Project 9th February 2018, 2:07 pm

Ryaneg6freak

Ryaneg6freak

Acid dipping is fantastic, I'd love to do it but it's very expensive in the USA thanks to the EPA trying to force these companies out of business (over $1500 to have my shell done) and the nearest place that does it is a 14 hour drive away, in Oregon

42Restoration Project - Page 2 Empty Re: Restoration Project 9th February 2018, 5:54 pm

Pulsartim

Pulsartim

One tip when you’ve tumbled or blasted your bolts is to polish on a wire wheel then when you re-plate they come up like new and you also get less failure of the plating not taking.
The dipping isn’t  cheap in the UK to be honest as it £1200.00 but the end result will be worth the extra expense, got a message today that the shell arrived at the dippers in Birmingham ok an they’ll be starting next week.

Last edited by Pulsartim on 17th June 2018, 2:40 am; edited 1 time in total

43Restoration Project - Page 2 Empty Re: Restoration Project 9th February 2018, 9:44 pm

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

Would like to see a few pics of it dipped if you get a chance .

44Restoration Project - Page 2 Empty Re: Restoration Project 10th February 2018, 7:07 am

Ryaneg6freak

Ryaneg6freak

Pulsartim wrote:Access to the blasting cabinet at work has saved me loads of money an everything is coming up like new.  One tip when you’ve tumbled or blasted your bolts is to polish on a wire wheel then when you re-plate they come up like new and you also get less failure of the plating not taking.
The dipping isn’t  cheap in the UK to be honest as it £1200.00 but the end result will be worth the extra expense, got a message today that the shell arrived at the dippers in Birmingham ok an they’ll be starting next week.  

I hope you removed your VIN plate or it's gonna disappear in the bath lol

45Restoration Project - Page 2 Empty Re: Restoration Project 10th February 2018, 7:12 am

gtir_woody

gtir_woody

Ryaneg6freak wrote:Acid dipping is fantastic, I'd love to do it but it's very expensive in the USA thanks to the EPA trying to force these companies out of business (over $1500 to have my shell done) and the nearest place that does it is a 14 hour drive away, in Oregon

14 hour drive! Im complaining driving an hour and half to get my engine rebuilt lol

46Restoration Project - Page 2 Empty Re: Restoration Project 10th February 2018, 7:37 am

Pulsartim

Pulsartim

Yeah I’ve got the VIN plate in the garage, the only item I couldn’t get off was the rear seat mounting clips, there on order from Nissan UK an should be here the next few days.

47Restoration Project - Page 2 Empty Re: Restoration Project 21st February 2018, 3:36 pm

hagger

Good to see your doing a proper job.Looks like a huge effort.......... well done man

48Restoration Project - Page 2 Empty Re: Restoration Project 23rd February 2018, 10:28 am

Ryaneg6freak

Ryaneg6freak

gtir_woody wrote:
Ryaneg6freak wrote:Acid dipping is fantastic, I'd love to do it but it's very expensive in the USA thanks to the EPA trying to force these companies out of business (over $1500 to have my shell done) and the nearest place that does it is a 14 hour drive away, in Oregon

14 hour drive! Im complaining driving an hour and half to get my engine rebuilt lol

Yea, the USA is rather large lol. I live in Las Vegas, Nevada and the closest metal dipper is in Eugene Oregon, 14 hours due northwest. Pretty much sucks.

49Restoration Project - Page 2 Empty Re: Restoration Project 23rd February 2018, 10:42 am

mike74

mike74

Looks like a lot of time, effort and money there dude, good work!

Just for my own info, assuming the rear arm bushes are powerflex, did you have to remove the original outer metal sleeve before fitting them or just burn the rubber out & fit new?
I'm good at setting fire to things, not so good at pressing sleeves out! :p

50Restoration Project - Page 2 Empty Re: Restoration Project 23rd February 2018, 10:45 am

gtir_woody

gtir_woody

Ryaneg6freak wrote:
gtir_woody wrote:

Yea, the USA is rather large lol.  I live in Las Vegas, Nevada and the closest metal dipper is in Eugene Oregon, 14 hours due northwest.  Pretty much sucks.

After watching dudes on YouTube, road tripping looks like so much fun over there though Laughing

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 6]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum