Gtir Motorsport club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Gtir Motorsport club

Welcome to the largest Nissan Pulsar & Sunny GTI-R Forum. Masses of info, friendly members, cars for sale, lots of spares. Best forum on the net by far. Everything your gtir needs is here.

You are not connected. Please login or register

will this fit my turbo?

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1will this fit my turbo?  Empty will this fit my turbo? 5th March 2015, 8:01 pm

ROB_IOW

ROB_IOW
the two star club
the two star club

Will this bolt onto my gt2871r?

Check out this item I found on eBay: http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=361231881478&alt=web

2will this fit my turbo?  Empty Re: will this fit my turbo? 5th March 2015, 8:37 pm

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

If you have the 28 style compressor housing which has 2 bolt flange then yes.
If you have all in one casting cover you will already have 3 or even 4" inlet.
Don't know why so many people use the 2871 the gtx2863r or gtx2867r series blows it out the water for high 300 to mid 400hp minimal lag tubby.

3will this fit my turbo?  Empty Re: will this fit my turbo? 6th March 2015, 12:04 am

sven777

Mr B wrote:Don't know why so many people use the 2871 the gtx2863r or gtx2867r series blows it out the water for high 300 to mid 400hp minimal lag tubby.

I just had my GT2871R .64 upgraded to GTX2871R .64 spec with a 6x6 billet compressor wheel; will see what the true difference is going to be between GT and GTX.

4will this fit my turbo?  Empty Re: will this fit my turbo? 6th March 2015, 1:39 am

gtir_woody

gtir_woody

^ Was that the only thing you have changed? Results should be interesting then.

5will this fit my turbo?  Empty Re: will this fit my turbo? 6th March 2015, 6:10 am

sven777

basically yes. The only other thing is an upgraded ceramic bearing cage; but that won't have an effect on performance; that's a pure reliability upgrade. Also; I do not use an anti-surge compressor housing; I'll use the standard one; whereas the GTX series comes with anti-surge as standard. However; even-though the anti-surge housings sound cool; if you don't need one; better not to use it as they actually (although just a little) reduce performance.

Main difference in characteristics is that I will use the old design 6x6 turbine wheel, as opposed to garrets 11 blade design. The 11 blade is better for fast spool and a lot quieter (modern design) whereas the 6x6 is much louder and should provide more top-end. Will post results when the time is there!

6will this fit my turbo?  Empty Re: will this fit my turbo? 6th March 2015, 8:56 am

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

I had an old gt2860rs converted to the gtx2863r for a 400 build car & results was good & response as good 2860.
2867 is bigger compressor blade & lags a bit more but is much better response than the 2871. A lot depends on how you using your car & how you like your power delivered but the 2863 is a damn good turbo for high 300hp builds.

7will this fit my turbo?  Empty Re: will this fit my turbo? 6th March 2015, 11:06 am

sven777

No doubt that the 2863 is probably the best street-turbo for our cars up to about 375hp. After that the 2867 takes over up to about 450. However I decided to turn my GT2871R into a GTX simply because I can't machine the 71mm housing back to 67mm. This was the most cost-effective solution; I had the conversion done by PureTurbo's in the US and it only cost me like 500 USD (incl. overhaul and return shipping) not bad...

The difference in response that you refer to comes not only from the smaller compressorwheel, but also due to the blade-design and even more so: the reduced weight of the forged Billet compressorwheel. So I should be spooling faster and more then the standard 2871, question is just how much faster/more...

There is not a lot of comparison between the normal GT's and the GTX chargers because it's apples and oranges because of the 63/67mm vs 71mm.

8will this fit my turbo?  Empty Re: will this fit my turbo? 6th March 2015, 11:33 am

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

Not really apples & oranges just a good compressor blade size, good design, good material & better match for the 28 turbine.
A lot of people suffer response as they pick too big a compressor/wrong trim for power they go for & what they expect in terms of response falls short.

9will this fit my turbo?  Empty Re: will this fit my turbo? 6th March 2015, 2:51 pm

ROB_IOW

ROB_IOW
the two star club
the two star club

I'm happy if my 2871 makes 380bhp
My standard turbo with 360 thrust bearing made 330bhp at 1 bar on Surrey rolling road 2 years ago.

But then made I think 309 at .9 bar last year on different rollers

Last edited by ROB_IOW on 6th March 2015, 3:53 pm; edited 1 time in total

10will this fit my turbo?  Empty Re: will this fit my turbo? 6th March 2015, 3:25 pm

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

^ I'm sure you will be happy & coming from journal bearing more so probably.
380 should be quite easy as your car making good power at 1bar on standard blower.

11will this fit my turbo?  Empty Re: will this fit my turbo? 8th March 2015, 7:53 pm

Sven any chance you could post a link that takes me to the conversion bit as I've looked on their website and couldn't find what you were on about Smile looking to convert my 2871 too

12will this fit my turbo?  Empty Re: will this fit my turbo? 8th March 2015, 7:59 pm

Or Mr B any idea where is the best place to get myne converted ? Cheers guys

13will this fit my turbo?  Empty Re: will this fit my turbo? 8th March 2015, 9:26 pm

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

" You in UK ? if so probably Owen Developments.
You staying with 71mm compressor or looking at new compressor housing & 67mm compressor ?

14will this fit my turbo?  Empty Re: will this fit my turbo? 8th March 2015, 9:37 pm

sven777

Owens is very good, but also very expensive. Just contact Pureturbo's via their facebook, they reply superfast: just tell them what u want and they will give you a quote incl. return shipping. They also welded my wastegate shut: so anything is possible.If you go with the billet 71mm, take the 6x6 compressor wheel as opposed to the 11 blade. Also: i would not take the 71mm billet with .86 exhaust housing, unless u care for extreme top end power. For most (fast road) applications the .64 is housing is the better choice

15will this fit my turbo?  Empty Re: will this fit my turbo? 8th March 2015, 9:40 pm

Probably stick with existing compressor tbh unless there is a really good reason not to! (Not too clued up on turbos ) and yeah .64 housing is one I'd go for as .86 is beyond the power capabilities I require . Any reason I need to stick with 6x6 Sven ? Thought the 11blade would spoil up better ? Cheers both of you

16will this fit my turbo?  Empty Re: will this fit my turbo? 9th March 2015, 6:46 am

sven777

11 blade is better for spool and 6x6 is better for top end. This is because the 11 blade has more surface to move more air per rotatation. However, at some point along the rev range, the 6x6 would outperform the 11 blade because it is less restrictive to airflow. Differces are not enourmous. What does make a difference is spool-up sound: the 11 blade is a very quiet design, however the GTX still sound good because of the anti-surge housing. If you plan to use your existing (non surge) compressor housing with the 11 blade: expect a very quiet turbo. For some people that might be good, for others bad.

17will this fit my turbo?  Empty Re: will this fit my turbo? 9th March 2015, 7:53 am

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

gtx 11 blade is my preference mainly as major preference on fast spool up.
If your current 2871 in perfect order you probably best sticking with it if you need new turbo or really want faster spool & don't have extreme hp ambitions then the 2862 is a really good choice with the most noticeable spool difference.

18will this fit my turbo?  Empty Re: will this fit my turbo? 9th March 2015, 9:57 am

Ahh well that makes sense my god you two are bloody knowledgable though !!!! I've emailed pure turbos asking if they do the gt2871 to gtx2871 conversion I'm awaiting a reply but could be interesting Smile thank you both

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]