Gtir Motorsport club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Gtir Motorsport club

Welcome to the largest Nissan Pulsar & Sunny GTI-R Forum. Masses of info, friendly members, cars for sale, lots of spares. Best forum on the net by far. Everything your gtir needs is here.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Turbo

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Turbo  Empty Turbo 1st July 2016, 12:31 am

gtir_woody

gtir_woody

So I have my intake off and tried to spin the compressor wheel and its really stiff and doesn't spin freely. What does this mean? Turbo is brand new, has been on the car a couple of years though but only been used once the dyno and has no track/road use.

2Turbo  Empty Re: Turbo 1st July 2016, 4:10 am

gtir_woody

gtir_woody

Shaft play is fine aswell

3Turbo  Empty Re: Turbo 1st July 2016, 7:03 am

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

possibly dry new seals !
any grit or shit could of got into it !
Is it constant resistance or notchy ?
Is oil getting to bearing ?
I would probably pull it & look if car been started & run a bit & oil feed is good & rotation feels notchy .
Is it ball bearing or journal bearing ?

4Turbo  Empty Re: Turbo 1st July 2016, 7:17 am

gtir_woody

gtir_woody

Its constant resistance, no really tight or noticeably different spots when rotating. Its a ball bearing. Last time I checked it was getting oil no problem.

You will have to let me know how many litres of petrol it will take to burn a garage and car if it turns out there's something wrong with it B Laughing

5Turbo  Empty Re: Turbo 1st July 2016, 9:12 am

ducie54

ducie54

Loosen off the dump pipe and turbo off manifold and try spinning it. Test it one at a time.

6Turbo  Empty Re: Turbo 1st July 2016, 9:20 am

gtir_woody

gtir_woody

Interesting you say that Nigel, I think the dump pipe had a bit of tension when I was fitting it.

7Turbo  Empty Re: Turbo 2nd July 2016, 6:08 am

Thermal

Thermal

I recently bought a new GT2871R from Owens, this had the same symptoms, I called them about it and they said as long as there is no roughness it is quite normal, it would not continue spinning when spun up by hand, although it felt smooth, still a little suspicious but it has been on the dyno and it pick up very well and makes good power, so I would say it is OK I guess yours will be the same, as long as as others have said it has a good oil feed drain etc.

8Turbo  Empty Re: Turbo 2nd July 2016, 8:10 am

gtir_woody

gtir_woody

Thanks for the advice thermal, good to know someone else has had this problem.

Nigel, still yet to loosen the dump and turbo off the manifold.

I was thinking could it be carbon build up from starting it up for very limited period of times in the last say 12 months?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum