Gtir Motorsport club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Gtir Motorsport club

Welcome to the largest Nissan Pulsar & Sunny GTI-R Forum. Masses of info, friendly members, cars for sale, lots of spares. Best forum on the net by far. Everything your gtir needs is here.

You are not connected. Please login or register

JoetheEskimos GTIR Build

+13
burrows1980
pulsarmoley
PartyPete
MartyMG
buckym120
nomad
luke s
Mr B
johnny gtir
gtir_woody
GTI-R US
Stu
joetheeskimo
17 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down  Message [Page 4 of 6]

76JoetheEskimos GTIR Build - Page 4 Empty Re: JoetheEskimos GTIR Build 24th September 2015, 1:27 am

splmum

splmum

Stu wrote:Well done.
Those disks have come up a treat Smile
Agreed Very Happy

77JoetheEskimos GTIR Build - Page 4 Empty Re: JoetheEskimos GTIR Build 9th January 2016, 8:51 am

joetheeskimo

joetheeskimo

Been a good few months so here is an update of work completed so far.

Got my self an AEM wideband O2 Kit, just need to wire it up and get it on the car. This way i keep an eye on the air and fuel ratio, make sure it doesnt run lean in the future.

JoetheEskimos GTIR Build - Page 4 20160106_164636

Also as my GTIR wheel was ripped and mouldy i got a replacement aftermarket wheel, took my old wheel apart and fitted the GTIR emblum to the new wheel.

JoetheEskimos GTIR Build - Page 4 IMG_20160103_191524

And tomorrow im picking up these seats and harness, very cheap only 100 quid for the pair including the harnesses.

JoetheEskimos GTIR Build - Page 4 IMG-20160103-WA0023

JoetheEskimos GTIR Build - Page 4 IMG-20160103-WA0022

Also stripped out the rear of the GTIR and painted it all black as well as fitting a battery box and relocating battery to behind drivers seat.

JoetheEskimos GTIR Build - Page 4 20151222_132923

Also ive designed up a rear strut brace and friend of mine is a tig welder so he is going to do the welding and local company is water jet cutting the 304 stainless steel plates. Struggle to find a rear strut brace for a decent price so just designing and making my own.

Welding is going to get done in march/april time.

Next job over next few weeks is the following

- Remove and refurbish rear calipers
- Fit new rear discs
- Weld o2 sensor thread insert into downpipe and replace flexi section
- i would like to remove subframe and all rear arms and powder coat them but bushes look good so dont want to have to remove and replace components that are in good condition.
- Once welding is done the tyres will also need replacing as its been sat for a year on them.

78JoetheEskimos GTIR Build - Page 4 Empty Re: JoetheEskimos GTIR Build 9th January 2016, 9:47 am

gtir_woody

gtir_woody

Nice update mate, love the way the car is looking. The strut brace sounds interesting. Refurbing the sub-frame is so worth it though, you dont realise how old some of the bushes are until you take it out. It also makes the rear end look super clean Laughing

79JoetheEskimos GTIR Build - Page 4 Empty Re: JoetheEskimos GTIR Build 9th January 2016, 5:41 pm

johnny gtir

johnny gtir

Great update your idea on strut brace sounds similar to mine but mine is bought part welded Inbetween the dual front brace

80JoetheEskimos GTIR Build - Page 4 Empty Re: JoetheEskimos GTIR Build 9th January 2016, 5:41 pm

johnny gtir

johnny gtir

Great update your idea on strut brace sounds similar to mine but mine is bought part welded Inbetween the dual front brace

81JoetheEskimos GTIR Build - Page 4 Empty Re: JoetheEskimos GTIR Build 31st January 2016, 2:35 pm

joetheeskimo

joetheeskimo

Ok so been a while again since last update, i will try to update this thread a bit more often. My aim is to have the car on the road by april but having a new house and family to provide for plus pretty much a single income its hard to find spare cash to buy expensive bits for this car.

Anyway here is an update.

I made up some custom brackets for the passnger seat and got the passenger seat fitted. I didnt fit slider rails as it would of sat too high. I cannot fit the drivers seat yet because the captive nut came loose on the chassis cross section so i need to get a new one welded in.

JoetheEskimos GTIR Build - Page 4 20160131_104657_resized
JoetheEskimos GTIR Build - Page 4 20160130_152756_resized
JoetheEskimos GTIR Build - Page 4 20160131_104720_resized

Also got water getting into the passenger footwell from somewhere. Its not from the sunroof as my car doesnt have a sun roof.

Also removed the stereo and center heater from the center console and fitted blanking plates, as well as fitting the steering wheel. Was able to wire in my wideband o2 sensor as well.

I sat the wideband sensor in the exhaust tip just to check its working, on idle its around 14.5 when you rev it in neutral it goes super lean, obvisous not very accurate as its just sat in the exhaust tip rather than bolted into the downpipe.

Today i jacked the car up and set about the rear brakes, i got new discs and pads for the rear but as the nipple had snapped in the drivers side i want to refurb the calipers and rebuild them before fitting the new discs.

JoetheEskimos GTIR Build - Page 4 20160131_104604_resized
JoetheEskimos GTIR Build - Page 4 20160131_104527_resized
JoetheEskimos GTIR Build - Page 4 20160131_104536_resized
JoetheEskimos GTIR Build - Page 4 20160131_104504_resized

I checked over the rear subframe and all the arm bushes and they all look ok, only the drop links need replacing. The subframe has surface rust and i would like to replace it at somepoint so when i have some cash i will.

Also going to strip rear suspension and rear spray the GAB shocks and springs like i did with the front.

JoetheEskimos GTIR Build - Page 4 20160131_104455_resized

Still need both rear arches and both sills replacing and that is currently booked for april time.

82JoetheEskimos GTIR Build - Page 4 Empty Re: JoetheEskimos GTIR Build 31st January 2016, 8:05 pm

gtir_woody

gtir_woody

Looking good mate. In regards to the leak depending where it is exactly it is check door seals or mine was also leaking through the large loom grommet in the top passenger outer side.

83JoetheEskimos GTIR Build - Page 4 Empty Re: JoetheEskimos GTIR Build 31st January 2016, 9:09 pm

pulsarmoley

pulsarmoley

With regard to you subframe, if its only survace rust just get it shot blasted and powdercoated

Everybody needs a bosom for a pillow...

84JoetheEskimos GTIR Build - Page 4 Empty Re: JoetheEskimos GTIR Build 31st January 2016, 9:40 pm

Stu

Stu
Admin
Admin

Nice progress. Look forward to the pics of everything cleaned and painted etc Smile

85JoetheEskimos GTIR Build - Page 4 Empty Re: JoetheEskimos GTIR Build 7th February 2016, 7:27 pm

joetheeskimo

joetheeskimo

Bit of an update today, got the grinder out and also the wire brush attachement. Striped the hub with the wire brush attachment and also under the boot. under the boot had a lot of surface rust. I stripped it back as much as physically possible then zinc primered it all. Once this was dry i then used waxoil spray to underseal it. After this i gave it a spray with normal matt black spray.
The hubs look good just need to clean the threads of the studs. i tried to remove the bitch bolt from the hub but failed so just kept the hubs on the car when i spray them.

JoetheEskimos GTIR Build - Page 4 20160207_155520_resized
JoetheEskimos GTIR Build - Page 4 20160207_155536_resized
JoetheEskimos GTIR Build - Page 4 20160207_155724_resized

JoetheEskimos GTIR Build - Page 4 20160207_155603_resized
JoetheEskimos GTIR Build - Page 4 20160207_155713_resized
JoetheEskimos GTIR Build - Page 4 20160207_155701_resized

As the above picutres show i also cut away some metal. The rear air vents were completely rusted aroudn the outside so i cut all this away and rather than building them back up im just goin to get plates welded in to blank them off. My plan is to cut the rear bumper high like the below picture with some kind of diffuser under neath at some point.

JoetheEskimos GTIR Build - Page 4 3796411086_526bd110f6_o

Also stripped my spare rocker cover and smoothed it as well. Still need to strip the recessed areas with nitromorse and then fill the holes with metal filler.

JoetheEskimos GTIR Build - Page 4 20160131_152638
JoetheEskimos GTIR Build - Page 4 20160131_152629

Im not to sure what colour to do the rocker cover so im thinkning of the following;

- Wrinkle finish black
JoetheEskimos GTIR Build - Page 4 S14_p04_3319

- Yellow
JoetheEskimos GTIR Build - Page 4 0207tur_04z%2B1991_nissan_sentra_se_r%2Bvalve_cover_intake_tubes

- HKS colours
JoetheEskimos GTIR Build - Page 4 Hks-spark-plug-cover-oil-cap-and-custom-painted-sr20det-valve-cover

I striped my rear calipers but im contemplating weather i just buy seal kit £25 from Bigg Red or send the calipers off for new callipers, pistons and respray for £99.00. Im tempted to just have them completly refurbished profesionally as it saves me a fair amount of time.

Also got my new dipstick from nissan on friday £25.00 and nissan badge for the front grill.

JoetheEskimos GTIR Build - Page 4 20160203_170229
JoetheEskimos GTIR Build - Page 4 20160203_170208

The captive nut on the front seat rail came loose on the drivers side so im going to get a plate welded in with a new captive nut.

Plan for this week is as follows;

-Decide corse of action for rear calipers
-Jack up front and remove down pipe
-Drill hole in downpipe for wideband o2 insert to be welded in
-Measure Flexi and ordered replacement flexi
-Get plate welded in with captive nut and fit drivers seat
-Connect second VAC line of downpipe to VAC source

Also trying to source an aluminium radiator overflow tank

86JoetheEskimos GTIR Build - Page 4 Empty Re: JoetheEskimos GTIR Build 7th February 2016, 8:17 pm

gtir_woody

gtir_woody

Nice progress mate. I like the wrinkle black finish for the rocker cover btw Smile

87JoetheEskimos GTIR Build - Page 4 Empty Re: JoetheEskimos GTIR Build 7th February 2016, 9:53 pm

Bandyleg

Bandyleg

gtir_woody wrote:Nice progress mate. I like the wrinkle black finish for the rocker cover btw Smile

Dam! Woody you just got a free rep point, I put my fat finger on it on my mobile, I was supposed to hit quote and I agree with the wrinkle rocker cover, it looks amazeballs lol

88JoetheEskimos GTIR Build - Page 4 Empty Re: JoetheEskimos GTIR Build 7th February 2016, 9:54 pm

Bandyleg

Bandyleg

Great thread and the car looks like its coming along nicely good work bud Smile

89JoetheEskimos GTIR Build - Page 4 Empty Re: JoetheEskimos GTIR Build 7th February 2016, 10:42 pm

gtir_woody

gtir_woody

I'll take a free rep, thank you Laughing

90JoetheEskimos GTIR Build - Page 4 Empty Re: JoetheEskimos GTIR Build 7th February 2016, 10:45 pm

Bandyleg

Bandyleg

LOL no probs im sure someone forgot to give you one for your services Laughing

91JoetheEskimos GTIR Build - Page 4 Empty Re: JoetheEskimos GTIR Build 14th February 2016, 6:21 pm

joetheeskimo

joetheeskimo

this weekend i spent refrenshing my rear suspension and rear anti roll bar. Got the grinder and wire brush adapter out.

Here is a before picture of the suspension, the ARB looked just as bad.
JoetheEskimos GTIR Build - Page 4 20160131_104455_resized_1

Here is afterwards. Need to leave it over night for the paint to really dry off and harden. Once harden i will build them up again and upload a picture or two.

JoetheEskimos GTIR Build - Page 4 20160214_131623_resized
JoetheEskimos GTIR Build - Page 4 20160214_131628_resized
JoetheEskimos GTIR Build - Page 4 20160214_131619_resized
JoetheEskimos GTIR Build - Page 4 20160214_131613_resized

Also bought some new rear drop links. As the nipple snapped in my rear caliper ive tasked our machine shop at work to remove this snapped bleed nipple. Using a reverse turn easy out tool didnt work, so they are going to drill it and clean up the thread. Once this is done they need to be sent off.

92JoetheEskimos GTIR Build - Page 4 Empty Re: JoetheEskimos GTIR Build 14th February 2016, 7:02 pm

Cosmic73

Cosmic73

JoetheEskimos GTIR Build - Page 4 20160214_131619_resized

This should be in an art gallery Very Happy
Nice work

93JoetheEskimos GTIR Build - Page 4 Empty Re: JoetheEskimos GTIR Build 14th February 2016, 7:36 pm

Stu

Stu
Admin
Admin

They look as good as new.
I need to do all mine.

94JoetheEskimos GTIR Build - Page 4 Empty Re: JoetheEskimos GTIR Build 14th February 2016, 7:52 pm

joetheeskimo

joetheeskimo

Stu wrote:They look as good as new.
I need to do all mine.

Thanks. Yer pain in the arse Espically as won't see it when it's on the car. But least I know it's been done....and if anyone does get run over least they have something pretty to look at.

Need to get new dust covers though..don't know where to get them from or if they do univeral ones

95JoetheEskimos GTIR Build - Page 4 Empty Re: JoetheEskimos GTIR Build 14th February 2016, 8:08 pm

gtir_woody

gtir_woody

Looks good mate, what paint did you use? The finish looks great.

96JoetheEskimos GTIR Build - Page 4 Empty Re: JoetheEskimos GTIR Build 14th February 2016, 8:48 pm

johnny gtir

johnny gtir

Think nomad or Mr B posted links to dust covers and bump stops a while ago. Think it was a e bay link to universal ones but had a wide range

97JoetheEskimos GTIR Build - Page 4 Empty Re: JoetheEskimos GTIR Build 14th February 2016, 9:18 pm

joetheeskimo

joetheeskimo

gtir_woody wrote:Looks good mate, what paint did you use? The finish looks great.

Black was hammerite smooth
Red was hycot brake caliper red

98JoetheEskimos GTIR Build - Page 4 Empty Re: JoetheEskimos GTIR Build 17th February 2016, 9:37 am

Bandyleg

Bandyleg

Nicely done, that must take 5 years of the car Smile

99JoetheEskimos GTIR Build - Page 4 Empty Re: JoetheEskimos GTIR Build 21st February 2016, 7:33 am

joetheeskimo

joetheeskimo

Got the rear suspension back on yesterday and rear anti-roll bar with new drop links.

JoetheEskimos GTIR Build - Page 4 IMG_20160215_122824_resized
JoetheEskimos GTIR Build - Page 4 20160220_142836_resized
JoetheEskimos GTIR Build - Page 4 20160220_142900_resized

My rear calipers are going off to Bigg Red for full redbuild new pistons and seals. Its only £99 for a pair, which i believe is a bargain as they will be pretty much brand new when i get them back.
I will have them back on the 3rd of March, That weekend i can then get the system bleed and take it for a quick drive up and down the road to make sure its ok before it goes off to welding.

Thanks

100JoetheEskimos GTIR Build - Page 4 Empty Re: JoetheEskimos GTIR Build 21st February 2016, 10:05 am

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

Dont mean to piss on your bonfire .... but without boots on the shocks it will not pass a mot fella .....

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 4 of 6]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum