Gtir Motorsport club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Gtir Motorsport club

Welcome to the largest Nissan Pulsar & Sunny GTI-R Forum. Masses of info, friendly members, cars for sale, lots of spares. Best forum on the net by far. Everything your gtir needs is here.

You are not connected. Please login or register

patrick the pulsar

+16
vvlwezz
gtir_pimp
Bones
johnny gtir
Gl3nnGTIR
Rot box revival!
gtirx2
Concrete-GTIR
buckym120
scotty6860
fred05
johnboy
pulsarmoley
Stu
nomad
GTIR James
20 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 9]

51patrick the pulsar  - Page 3 Empty Re: patrick the pulsar 26th November 2013, 11:55 am

GTIR James

Stripped a head down ready for rebuild. I was going to get it ported & flowed etc but now I'm in 2 minds weather to or not. This is in the engineering shop being skimmed, xrayed & pressure tested to be sure it's a good head.
I will then order some newman 268 cams as one of the hks cams is all pitted on the lobes. The guy in the engineering shop reckons our heads look like they will flow very well in standard form.

patrick the pulsar  - Page 3 Image_zps9e8bd6f1

patrick the pulsar  - Page 3 Image_zpse8cafca0

patrick the pulsar  - Page 3 Image_zpsa324d91d

patrick the pulsar  - Page 3 Image_zpsb8e31eba

patrick the pulsar  - Page 3 Image_zps3019cec2

patrick the pulsar  - Page 3 Image_zps6f342b52

All valves in correct order. Decoked & lapped in

patrick the pulsar  - Page 3 Image_zpsce738cc0

52patrick the pulsar  - Page 3 Empty Re: patrick the pulsar 26th November 2013, 1:15 pm

fred05

fred05
french connection
french connection

wow, nice work on the bumper!!! as new!!

53patrick the pulsar  - Page 3 Empty Re: patrick the pulsar 26th November 2013, 9:41 pm

gtirx2

gtirx2

Flicked through this thread more than once now,very similar spec to what I am aiming for Cool 

How do you find the turbo?
Mine is a 52 trim where as I think yours is proberly a 56t?
When is it making full boost by and does it tail off up the top, and if so at what sort of revs?Saying that your cams proberly help it hold up top?

54patrick the pulsar  - Page 3 Empty Re: patrick the pulsar 26th November 2013, 10:47 pm

GTIR James

Not sure what trim the turbo is buddy but will check invoice & let you no.
I'd say it makes full boost by 3,200 to 3,400 it does tail off at the top end from 1.45bar to around 1.2bar but this is due to the actuator being weak. I will fit a new actuator when engine is back out. I'm only running standard cams at the min due to the hks cams being pitted on one of the lobes.
On the next build I'm going to try a set of newman 268 cams.

55patrick the pulsar  - Page 3 Empty Re: patrick the pulsar 26th November 2013, 10:51 pm

GTI-R US

GTI-R US
Management
Management

looking good james
have you got the head off the engine yet to see what state the engines in?

looking at that cage you have now and having tried getting in that car previously I would have no bloody chance now lol
I remember trying to drive that after doing the clutch a couple or so years back, everyone was pissing themselves laughing watching me trying to then get out of it lol!

http://www.gti-r-us.co.uk www.force500.com

56patrick the pulsar  - Page 3 Empty Re: patrick the pulsar 26th November 2013, 11:01 pm

GTIR James

Cheers bob. Not got the engine out yet. Want to get the head sorted so that's ready & still got a few more bits to order for the build. Like rocker stoppers, main & rod bearings, arp rod bolts. HG, the list is endless...
You think that was difficult to get into. It's a mare now..... The misses didn't seem to impressed with the cage or seats..... Can't please everyone.

Think the gearbox is on its last legs. The centralising on 1st 2nd & 3rd have gone. & it clonks into gear rather than slip in. Grrrrrr. Just glad I've a spare I will strip & rebuild

57patrick the pulsar  - Page 3 Empty Re: patrick the pulsar 26th November 2013, 11:30 pm

gtirx2

gtirx2

GTIR James wrote:Not sure what trim the turbo is buddy but will check invoice & let you no.
I'd say it makes full boost by 3,200 to 3,400 it does tail off at the top end from 1.45bar to around 1.2bar but this is due to the actuator being weak. I will fit a new actuator when engine is back out. I'm only running standard cams at the min due to the hks cams being pitted on one of the lobes.
On the next build I'm going to try a set of newman 268 cams.
That's on song early then,mines still on the stock cams aswell.
I hope mine spools around similar,i would be happy with 3.5-3.7k full boost, 4k or over and I will be disappointed Laughing

Just one thing with cams that's worth a mention( not that it helps much Laughing ),is that i think in a lot of cases its not possible to compare different  manufacturer's durations with each other.
One manufacturer's 260 cam might be another manufacturer's 280 cam,the thing is I don't think they all measure their durations from the same valve lift and some may quote from seat to seat figures while another seller will quote 1mm to 1mm for example,or anywhere inbetween even.
Then what valve clearance is used is also at question to get there figures.

http://www.catcams.co.uk/acatalog/Durations_Explained.html

Then there are lobe separation angles and center line angles aswell to consider,its a mine field lol.
I tryed to understand it all when looking for a cam for my uno and just gave up in the end and went with my gut Laughing i picked a very mild looking kent cam and although It had sensible looking specs it still turned out to have a pretty lopey idle and a bit rough/jumpy up until 2k,does go alot better now though.
A proper tune would proberly sort it but even so from the specs you would not of expected it lol

58patrick the pulsar  - Page 3 Empty Re: patrick the pulsar 17th December 2013, 3:19 pm

Rot box revival!

This is a masterpiece mate! Very very tidy and answered a few questions i've had for a while. Makes me want to clean mine up!

59patrick the pulsar  - Page 3 Empty Re: patrick the pulsar 17th December 2013, 4:44 pm

pulsarmoley

pulsarmoley

James have you had any luck with your head?

60patrick the pulsar  - Page 3 Empty Re: patrick the pulsar 17th December 2013, 8:08 pm

GTIR James

pulsarmoley wrote:James have you had any luck with your head?

I couldn't get hold of this kenny cooper pete. I emailed that Neal roper & he come back to me saying I need a large budget to make it work while with the head work.
My mate with a starlet gt recommended me to a guy down in essex. He build his engine for him & has only good things to say about him. I must admit the starlet is a bit of a beast & I will admit once rolling its one hell of a lot quicker than my pulsar.
Anyway I called the guy down in essex & it appears he has done a fair bit of work on sr20s years ago when nissan were in with the touring cars (primera p11) he build the engines for them & his also done a fair few of the British drift cars
I decided to head down there with the head to see what he recommended.
He suggested removing the casting marks on the inlet side & flowing through to the valve pockets. No polishing on inlet side.
Opening the exhaust side slightly & flowing through to the valve pockets & polishing with new valve guides.
Cutting 3 angle seats for the valves & removing the nasty ridge on the valve seats
Refacing the head. Pressure testing. X-raying & chemical clean.
I'm also getting him to reshim the head as he has huge stock of stock & castle shims
Due to being recommended from someone he is doing the work fairly cheap.  Very Happy 
I've also dropped my spare crank down to him which he is going to check over & polish.
Once engine is out I will take flywheel & clutch down & he can balance the lot together. Seems like a top bloke & I look forward to seeing the engine results.
Ps I'd like to say thanks to everyone who has helped me on this project.

61patrick the pulsar  - Page 3 Empty Re: patrick the pulsar 17th December 2013, 8:40 pm

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

Sounds good james ....let us know how it works out .... maybe some rough prices for us too .

62patrick the pulsar  - Page 3 Empty Re: patrick the pulsar 17th December 2013, 10:57 pm

pulsarmoley

pulsarmoley

Sounds like you've got the right man for the job, keep up the good work Smile

63patrick the pulsar  - Page 3 Empty Re: patrick the pulsar 18th December 2013, 10:30 am

fred05

fred05
french connection
french connection

yep good work man!
i'm thinking of doing the same job on a spare head, i saw my cams were pitted and marked so i guess my engine is worn enough to be changed.....

64patrick the pulsar  - Page 3 Empty Re: patrick the pulsar 18th December 2013, 12:48 pm

GTI-R US

GTI-R US
Management
Management

can you pm me the guys number please james if hes in Essex

not gosnays in Romford is it?
I know of a few other places in Essex too but some I wouldn't have any dealings with but theres 2 places inparticular which are very good and if its the one im thinking of there based in a farm building, not dealt with them but heard great things with regard to their machining work

drop me a pm if you like as I need some topnotch machining done and if they are local then its a bonus

65patrick the pulsar  - Page 3 Empty Re: patrick the pulsar 19th December 2013, 8:28 pm

GTIR James

Not much to update but got a few bits done.
Since getting the cage in I come across a problem where I couldn't fit the 3 defi gauges on the a pillar. (Took bloody ages to do that custom pod) grrrrrr
A first I thought sod it I will buy another pod & mount them on top of the dash.
Tried that & I didn't like it looked shite.

patrick the pulsar  - Page 3 Image_zps95a0ef7c

Seeing as they are 60mm gauges it wasn't possible to mount them near heater controls.
Pretty annoyed about that as the defi gauges are one of the best. With warning settings, alarms & recording settings. Some things just aren't meant to be so I've now decided to sell the defi gauges & go for some stack 52mm ones.
The heater control panel will be moved to the lower section of the dash & a proper angled gauge pod will be used above.

[URL=https://smg.photobucket.com/user/Rolls/media/James%202013%20pulsar/image_zpsf5fd6f64.jpg.html]patrick the pulsar  - Page 3 Image_zpsf5fd6f64[/URL

66patrick the pulsar  - Page 3 Empty Re: patrick the pulsar 19th December 2013, 8:31 pm

GTIR James

So now the gauges will be mounted like so.
I will eventually get the pod flocked as well.

patrick the pulsar  - Page 3 Image_zpsfaffafcc

patrick the pulsar  - Page 3 Image_zps3e2d9d38

67patrick the pulsar  - Page 3 Empty Re: patrick the pulsar 19th December 2013, 8:32 pm

GTIR James

Also got a omex shift light to fit

patrick the pulsar  - Page 3 Image_zpsa86f95c0

68patrick the pulsar  - Page 3 Empty Re: patrick the pulsar 19th December 2013, 8:36 pm

GTIR James

And started getting bits ready for the engine rebuild.

Standard headbolts within spec
New valve stem seals
Brand new nissan oil pump
Nissan thermostat
Cleaned oil spray bars
Spare shims

patrick the pulsar  - Page 3 Image_zps08f154ac

patrick the pulsar  - Page 3 Image_zps038c1fc3

patrick the pulsar  - Page 3 Image_zps68e5f8f0

69patrick the pulsar  - Page 3 Empty Re: patrick the pulsar 19th December 2013, 8:39 pm

pulsarmoley

pulsarmoley

Good work James, keep it up, look forward to seeing her in the new year at some point Cool

70patrick the pulsar  - Page 3 Empty Re: patrick the pulsar 19th December 2013, 8:40 pm

GTIR James

I will get the engine out hopefully this weekend. If not defo by next week so bottom end can be checked & all parts needed can be ordered.
Haven't got long to get this done as doing the north vs south rolling road day April
North Weald airfield day may
Lemans June
Best pull my finder out Cool

71patrick the pulsar  - Page 3 Empty Re: patrick the pulsar 19th December 2013, 9:28 pm

pulsarmoley

pulsarmoley

I think a finger would help more Laughing
Busy 2014 for you then...

72patrick the pulsar  - Page 3 Empty Re: patrick the pulsar 19th December 2013, 9:29 pm

GTIR James

Oops. Yep finger would be better. Lol

73patrick the pulsar  - Page 3 Empty Re: patrick the pulsar 19th December 2013, 10:52 pm

GTI-R US

GTI-R US
Management
Management

yeah im in the same boat but I got a whole car and engine to build lol

keep us updated with your progress james

74patrick the pulsar  - Page 3 Empty Re: patrick the pulsar 24th December 2013, 6:09 pm

GTIR James

Had a few hours on the car yesterday. The engine is hanging in there on 3 mounts. Will be pulled out on Saturday. All went pretty well. The hardest part was getting the turbo elbow & down pipe off due to having a 3 inch job that the nuts are impossible to get to.
Hopefully get the bottom end stripped on Saturday to check for damage then can get on with ordering bits needed.

75patrick the pulsar  - Page 3 Empty Re: patrick the pulsar 28th December 2013, 5:14 pm

GTIR James

The engine is out.....

Pic before removal

patrick the pulsar  - Page 3 Image_zps034f9e3e

Was a pain lifting the car high enough to drag the engine out but got there in the end.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 9]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum