Gtir Motorsport club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Gtir Motorsport club

Welcome to the largest Nissan Pulsar & Sunny GTI-R Forum. Masses of info, friendly members, cars for sale, lots of spares. Best forum on the net by far. Everything your gtir needs is here.

You are not connected. Please login or register

patrick the pulsar

+16
vvlwezz
gtir_pimp
Bones
johnny gtir
Gl3nnGTIR
Rot box revival!
gtirx2
Concrete-GTIR
buckym120
scotty6860
fred05
johnboy
pulsarmoley
Stu
nomad
GTIR James
20 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down  Message [Page 8 of 9]

176patrick the pulsar  - Page 8 Empty Re: patrick the pulsar 1st September 2014, 7:22 pm

GTIR James

Engine is all stripped. Bottom end is all ok. It would appear that the pictures taken with the boroscope were magnifying the scrapes on the cylinder walls. Now the heads off the marks are invisible.

The cylinder head is another story tho. What we found is all the inlet valve seals are not tight enough. Ie not scrapping the oil from the valve stem. This has caused oil to get onto the valve seats & start to carbon up meaning the valves weren't sealing correctly. (That would explain my low compression)
Same story for the exhaust stem seals. They aren't sealing correctly either.  
I'm not to happy with the guy that did the work & I've told him to get it sorted.
It shouldn't be to bad to do as long as the valve seats clean up & seal correctly with a light lap in of the valves.
I will be calling the guy tommorow to find out if it's done yet. If not I'm going to go & pick the bloody thing up & get it sorted at my own expense Twisted Evil

177patrick the pulsar  - Page 8 Empty Re: patrick the pulsar 1st September 2014, 10:15 pm

GTI-R US

GTI-R US
Management
Management

Were the stem seals genuine Nissan parts or pattern seals?

The pattern seals are a poor fit, I found that out a few years ago so only use genuine Nissan seals
Basically the rubbers are too rigid and they go brittle after a while
Just poor quality rubber I think

Nissan Performance & Tuning Centre
Services provided

Forge Engine rebuilds to specification
Body Restoration, Fabrication, Repair
Paint refinishing facilities
Ecu re-mapping-Performance upgrades
Auto Diagnostics, Injector cleaning  
Race & Suspension setup
General Servicing, Mots, tyre fitting
Full workshop facilities
http://www.gti-r-us.co.uk www.force500.com

178patrick the pulsar  - Page 8 Empty Re: patrick the pulsar 2nd September 2014, 12:45 pm

GTIR James

They were genuine nissan seals bob. The bronze valve guides I got from Eric's in ca. Maybe the two aren't compatible. Surely a engineer should spot this tho.

179patrick the pulsar  - Page 8 Empty Re: patrick the pulsar 2nd September 2014, 4:21 pm

vvlwezz

Just read right through, good build dude, shame about the head problem, hope all gets sorted. Hope my machine shop has done mine right as i had them fit new guides and stem seals etc

180patrick the pulsar  - Page 8 Empty Re: patrick the pulsar 2nd September 2014, 5:15 pm

buckym120

buckym120

Ah shit mate sorry to hear Bout the valve stem but thankfully it can all be sorted and hopefully with hardly any expense for yourself.

181patrick the pulsar  - Page 8 Empty Re: patrick the pulsar 2nd September 2014, 6:18 pm

GTIR James

As always mate. It will cost me money on oils, coolant etc not a biggy but it's finding the time to get the engine built back up & in the car.
We will see.

182patrick the pulsar  - Page 8 Empty Re: patrick the pulsar 2nd September 2014, 9:17 pm

buckym120

buckym120

I'm in a similar boat, mine began smoking a day before we all went out to leman/spa I was gutted and haven't even looked at the car since and that was back in June. Although hopefully pulling it about in the next few weeks

183patrick the pulsar  - Page 8 Empty Re: patrick the pulsar 29th September 2014, 9:19 pm

GTI-R US

GTI-R US
Management
Management

Any updates on this James?

Nissan Performance & Tuning Centre
Services provided

Forge Engine rebuilds to specification
Body Restoration, Fabrication, Repair
Paint refinishing facilities
Ecu re-mapping-Performance upgrades
Auto Diagnostics, Injector cleaning  
Race & Suspension setup
General Servicing, Mots, tyre fitting
Full workshop facilities
http://www.gti-r-us.co.uk www.force500.com

184patrick the pulsar  - Page 8 Empty Re: patrick the pulsar 29th September 2014, 9:41 pm

GTIR James

I spoke to him the other day bob. The valve guides & stem sills should have arrived today. Hopefully he it doesn't take him to long. I think my engine has been put to the side now tho as it's not a money earner for him & his had to buy new supertec guides & sills meaning he will be out of pocket.
I haven't realy looked at the car in weeks. Still need to run a few brake pipes before engine can go in & I've also got the fuel pump out so I can fit my in tank swirl pot.
Will give him a call tomorrow as need this back ASAP now.

185patrick the pulsar  - Page 8 Empty Re: patrick the pulsar 13th October 2014, 6:39 pm

GTIR James

Update. Should be picking engine up shortly.
His fitted brand new supertec bronze valve guides with new seals etc
Hopefully the smoking issue should be sorted when engine goes back in & I can get out & enjoy the car.

Made a bit of progress on other stuff over the weekend.

I managed to get my intank fuel swirl pot fitted along side x2 255 pumps. Obv I can't test this until the engine goes back in.
One pump feeds the swirl pot & then the other pump feeds the engine.
I'm just waiting on another relay to turn up then both pumps will be feed via a relay taking power direct from battery

patrick the pulsar  - Page 8 Imagejpg2_zps0e8bcbd0

patrick the pulsar  - Page 8 Imagejpg11_zpsae55c56b

186patrick the pulsar  - Page 8 Empty Re: patrick the pulsar 13th October 2014, 6:46 pm

GTIR James

I also managed to get my abs pump removed, made new pipes from master cylinder to non abs proporting valve bleed all brakes with some gulf racing brake fluid.
Then I fitted my uprated steering rack bushes & finished off fitting my omex shift light.

patrick the pulsar  - Page 8 Imagejpg22_zps8a5ad97f

patrick the pulsar  - Page 8 Imagejpg19_zps25d8220a

patrick the pulsar  - Page 8 Imagejpg12_zpsb9e3c9e2

Gopro roll cage mount fitted

patrick the pulsar  - Page 8 Imagejpg16_zps36de2349

Will need to pull the grinder out before the engine goes back in as I've had a change of plan with front mount intercooler.
I've done a bit of research & think a few guys have fitted mitibishi evo intercoolers to reduce pipe run/length. I've got a evo cooler that will be making its way onto the car.

These are the areas that I think will need grinding away. Will also need to find a new home for the pas cooler pipes

patrick the pulsar  - Page 8 Imagejpg9_zpsde8853f5

patrick the pulsar  - Page 8 Imagejpg21_zps1bf5e185

187patrick the pulsar  - Page 8 Empty Re: patrick the pulsar 13th October 2014, 7:05 pm

GTIR James

Pictures of the cooler.

patrick the pulsar  - Page 8 31770e17ff610c0dcf90a472fb1315b8_zpsf8e1aea2

patrick the pulsar  - Page 8 E6d3c5a89d5d485a3dc637c8e283c5f9_zpsfe2d5251

The car is now wearing the Motorsport club sticker  Laughing

patrick the pulsar  - Page 8 Imagejpg15_zpsccb87ab8

Last edited by GTIR James on 13th October 2014, 8:50 pm; edited 1 time in total

188patrick the pulsar  - Page 8 Empty Re: patrick the pulsar 13th October 2014, 7:22 pm

johnny gtir

johnny gtir

Great stuff james and those swirl pots work excerlant mate you got the lift pump low and extended the filter right down. I did this and its perfect even at very very low levels

189patrick the pulsar  - Page 8 Empty Re: patrick the pulsar 13th October 2014, 7:37 pm

GTIR James

johnny gtir wrote:Great stuff james and those swirl pots work excerlant mate you got the lift pump low and extended the filter right down. I did this and its perfect even at very very low levels

That's good to no johny. Thanks. Yep I've extended the pickup to the bottom of the tank & more over to the middle if that makes sense..
Should do the job. The swirl pot has been sitting in my room for nearly 2 years now. I keep finding stuff that hasn't even made its way onto the car.
I've also got a plumb in fire extinguisher to fit, stack egt gauge, orange front indicators. The joys of owning a pulsar. Lol

190patrick the pulsar  - Page 8 Empty Re: patrick the pulsar 13th October 2014, 7:52 pm

johnny gtir

johnny gtir

To true i only fitted my one a few month back same thing parts you have burried or forget you bought ha hope engine is all good this time and you get to enjoy many trouble free miles mate.

191patrick the pulsar  - Page 8 Empty Re: patrick the pulsar 13th October 2014, 8:18 pm

pulsarmoley

pulsarmoley

Good job James, that's the first time ive seen a swirl pot put in the tank. Does it still work ok laying in the tank at an angle as I thought they had to sit flat?

Everybody needs a bosom for a pillow...

192patrick the pulsar  - Page 8 Empty Re: patrick the pulsar 13th October 2014, 8:26 pm

johnny gtir

johnny gtir

no it fits on original pump holder and has a pump inside the pot and a lift pump moley and they work very well as the pump inside always sits in the fuel in the pot even at the angle ther at

193patrick the pulsar  - Page 8 Empty Re: patrick the pulsar 13th October 2014, 8:48 pm

GTIR James

johnny gtir wrote:no it fits on original pump holder and has a pump inside the pot and a lift pump moley and they work very well as the pump inside always sits in the fuel in the pot even at the angle ther at

Yep as Johnny said Pete. This was a group buy on the modifiers a few years back. I think he only sold 13ish. Thought more people would have jumped at it.

This is the swirl pot. As Johnny says it slides in where the original pump would go.

patrick the pulsar  - Page 8 5acd2b9a47afb4ec7ab353f5b9982e1e_zpsb23b66cf

194patrick the pulsar  - Page 8 Empty Re: patrick the pulsar 13th October 2014, 8:54 pm

GTIR James

Looking sorry for itself Neutral

Arch trims are off. Down the body shop being painted with the rear bumper. I had a bash at spraying these with rattle cans but can't get the required results so will leave that to the pros

patrick the pulsar  - Page 8 438cafe532d01fca4335cb0d0ee82a16_zpsafdd75b2

195patrick the pulsar  - Page 8 Empty Re: patrick the pulsar 13th October 2014, 9:06 pm

gtir_woody

gtir_woody

I did a similar thing with my same side intercooler. I cut out all the excess area on the right hand side and welded it back up. Love your cage btw Smile

196patrick the pulsar  - Page 8 Empty Re: patrick the pulsar 13th October 2014, 9:19 pm

pulsarmoley

pulsarmoley

GTIR James wrote:
johnny gtir wrote:no it fits on original pump holder and has a pump inside the pot and a lift pump moley and they work very well as the pump inside always sits in the fuel in the pot even at the angle ther at

Yep as Johnny said Pete. This was a group buy on the modifiers a few years back. I think he only sold 13ish. Thought more people would have jumped at it.

This is the swirl pot. As Johnny says it slides in where the original pump would go.

patrick the pulsar  - Page 8 5acd2b9a47afb4ec7ab353f5b9982e1e_zpsb23b66cf

That's a neat setup then, keep up the good work thumbsup

197patrick the pulsar  - Page 8 Empty Re: patrick the pulsar 2nd November 2014, 8:30 am

GTIR James

I picked the engine up yesterday so will get it build up in the next 2 weeks & get it back in the car. Hopefully I won't have any more probs with it.

198patrick the pulsar  - Page 8 Empty Re: patrick the pulsar 2nd November 2014, 9:00 am

pulsarmoley

pulsarmoley

Fingers crossed James thumbsup

199patrick the pulsar  - Page 8 Empty Re: patrick the pulsar 2nd November 2014, 5:38 pm

johnny gtir

johnny gtir

Good luck think i met you at the rolling road day at the pub decent lad and good on you for not giving up with the engine trouble many would of

200patrick the pulsar  - Page 8 Empty Re: patrick the pulsar 24th November 2014, 8:39 pm

GTIR James

The engine is back in. Finaly.
I haven't had it running for long as when I first started it I was checking my gauges for oil pressure etc & noticed I had nearly 10bar of fuel pressure Shocked Shocked Shocked
I had a think about this as I've just fitted my swirl pot & I'm now running two fuel pumps. It would appear that my fuel pressure regulator has seized in the closed position. I pulled the return off the fuel rail & no fuel it coming out meaning all pressure supplied via the pumps is being held in the rail.
Will have to see if bob has a good one before I can set ignition timing etc

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 8 of 9]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum