Gtir Motorsport club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Gtir Motorsport club

Welcome to the largest Nissan Pulsar & Sunny GTI-R Forum. Masses of info, friendly members, cars for sale, lots of spares. Best forum on the net by far. Everything your gtir needs is here.

You are not connected. Please login or register

patrick the pulsar

+16
vvlwezz
gtir_pimp
Bones
johnny gtir
Gl3nnGTIR
Rot box revival!
gtirx2
Concrete-GTIR
buckym120
scotty6860
fred05
johnboy
pulsarmoley
Stu
nomad
GTIR James
20 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down  Message [Page 6 of 9]

126patrick the pulsar  - Page 6 Empty Re: patrick the pulsar 21st May 2014, 6:13 pm

pulsarmoley

pulsarmoley

Nice one James, at this rate it will be run in for the next sprintday Wink

Everybody needs a bosom for a pillow...

127patrick the pulsar  - Page 6 Empty Re: patrick the pulsar 22nd May 2014, 6:09 pm

GTIR James

pulsarmoley wrote:Nice one James, at this rate it will be run in for the next sprintday Wink

I do hope so Pete. Still need to get it mapped once running in is complete & fit my oil cooler back on.
Am going back out in the car shortly. Plan to do 80 miles tonight & 100 miles tommorow then it's time for another oil change on Saturday

128patrick the pulsar  - Page 6 Empty Re: patrick the pulsar 22nd May 2014, 6:34 pm

Gl3nnGTIR

Gl3nnGTIR

Glad its all coming on ok james Smile

129patrick the pulsar  - Page 6 Empty Re: patrick the pulsar 23rd May 2014, 8:45 pm

Bones

Bones
the two star club
the two star club

Ye well done James sounds like you know exactly what yr doing. Bet yr 1st name terms with the bloke at the petrol station lol

130patrick the pulsar  - Page 6 Empty Re: patrick the pulsar 23rd May 2014, 9:30 pm

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

No darren he stole the tanker  Laughing 

131patrick the pulsar  - Page 6 Empty Re: patrick the pulsar 23rd May 2014, 9:33 pm

GTIR James

I feel like I need a tanker at the min. It works out to be 1/4 of a tank every time I go out. I'm 400 miles in now. Will do another oil change tommorow & will get upto 800-900 miles next week.
Then I need to get it mapped.

132patrick the pulsar  - Page 6 Empty Re: patrick the pulsar 24th May 2014, 6:50 am

Gl3nnGTIR

Gl3nnGTIR

Iv been trying to get hold of martin for weeks and hes not picking up and ignoring txts, i only need my final map sorting. Who you going to use do you think?

133patrick the pulsar  - Page 6 Empty Re: patrick the pulsar 8th June 2014, 8:10 pm

GTIR James

I'm trying to get through to Martin also Glenn, to be honest it's proving pretty difficult.
The engine is all run in now & running on part synthetic oil.
I m running it at 1bar on standard ecu, injectors & maf & it seems to pull well.
Just need to get it mapped now but carnt get through to the guy doing it.

134patrick the pulsar  - Page 6 Empty Re: patrick the pulsar 20th June 2014, 7:16 pm

GTIR James

Fitted the 700 injectors, z32 & nistune tonight.
Just need to change to fully synthetic & fit oil cooler back on. Should be getting it mapped in the next few weeks.
Since fitting the nistune etc it is running lean at idle. From 16.5 to 18 on the wideband & nearly cuts out. I'm hoping this is a mapping issue as afrs were around 14.5 on standard stuff. I'm going to check ignition timing again in case ecu is mapped for mega ignition.
Not all bad tho it richens up nice on boost.
Thinking of using jez at horsham for mapping as martin @ MBA is a nightmare to get hold of.

135patrick the pulsar  - Page 6 Empty Re: patrick the pulsar 20th June 2014, 7:18 pm

GTIR James

Ps I'd like to say a big thanks to bob and Glenn for sorting me out with the standard stuff to get the engine run in.  you the man

136patrick the pulsar  - Page 6 Empty Re: patrick the pulsar 21st June 2014, 9:24 am

GTI-R US

GTI-R US
Management
Management

no problem james

yeah may be worth contacting jez as this martin guy sounds good but from what ive heard is a real mare to get hold of, guess hes very busy if hes that good at what he does

glad its all running nice james, I wouldn't worry about afr's at idle (just up the base idle speed) longs as its ok when on boost and at wot that's the main thing

Nissan Performance & Tuning Centre
Services provided

Forge Engine rebuilds to specification
Body Restoration, Fabrication, Repair
Paint refinishing facilities
Ecu re-mapping-Performance upgrades
Auto Diagnostics, Injector cleaning  
Race & Suspension setup
General Servicing, Mots, tyre fitting
Full workshop facilities
http://www.gti-r-us.co.uk www.force500.com

137patrick the pulsar  - Page 6 Empty Re: patrick the pulsar 23rd July 2014, 5:42 pm

GTIR James

Would you believe it.......... Fecking engine has started smoking Evil or Very Mad 

I've done a compression test & cylinder 2&3 are low on compression checked down the bores with a boroscope & I can see scores on the cylinder walls. Not a happy bunny. I'm going to do a leak down test on Saturday to pinpoint the problem.

138patrick the pulsar  - Page 6 Empty Re: patrick the pulsar 23rd July 2014, 9:37 pm

Gl3nnGTIR

Gl3nnGTIR

This does not make a good read, when did it start today? Were 2&3 very low?

139patrick the pulsar  - Page 6 Empty Re: patrick the pulsar 23rd July 2014, 9:54 pm

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

2&3 .... you reckon it could be leak in the head gasket between the cylinders .... think a leakdown test would be the best bet least it will be abit more aucurate in pinpointing the loss of compression .... was it down on pressure much james ???

140patrick the pulsar  - Page 6 Empty Re: patrick the pulsar 24th July 2014, 6:58 am

GTIR James

It's been puffing smoke on start up for a month or so. But about a week ago it started smoking when hot on idle etc. blue smoke.
When looking down the bores with boroscope there is lots of oil on top of the pistons 2&3 & score marks on cylinder walls. Compression is down to 80-90 psi on cyl 2&3 which is strange as when running it doesn't misfire....
I think it's piston rings as can see oil down the sides of pistons with boroscope.
I reckon the guy who gapped the rings has fitted them wrong.
Leak down test will be done on Saturday & I will go from there. Looks like it's all got to come out again tho & to be honest I don't no if I can be arsed with it. May just strip it & buy a evo.....
The love to hate relationship is in full swing

141patrick the pulsar  - Page 6 Empty Re: patrick the pulsar 24th July 2014, 7:31 am

Gl3nnGTIR

Gl3nnGTIR

Give yourself a slap about stripping it. Its to nice of a car to strip!!!

142patrick the pulsar  - Page 6 Empty Re: patrick the pulsar 24th July 2014, 8:20 am

johnny gtir

johnny gtir

Pot and kettle mr glen lol

143patrick the pulsar  - Page 6 Empty Re: patrick the pulsar 1st August 2014, 1:08 pm

GTIR James

I see what your saying Glenn but just getting fed up with it now.
I've spoke to the guy who did the engine & he is giving me ball that cylinder 2&3 rings haven't bedded in & needs to be driven under more load. I've basically said i will pull the lump out & bring it down so he can sort it. No bloody way piston rings take longer than 1000 miles to bed in Sad Sad

144patrick the pulsar  - Page 6 Empty Re: patrick the pulsar 1st August 2014, 2:24 pm

GTI-R US

GTI-R US
Management
Management

shit this is not good james  Crying or Very sad 

my guess is if the cylinders are scored hes damaged a ring when putting the pistons in the block maybe an oil control ring as they break easily if they are not fully clamped to the piston when entering the cylinder and you would never know once there in there until after a time they will score the cyl wall then the compression rings will leak by also

I really do hope for your sake that im wrong

Nissan Performance & Tuning Centre
Services provided

Forge Engine rebuilds to specification
Body Restoration, Fabrication, Repair
Paint refinishing facilities
Ecu re-mapping-Performance upgrades
Auto Diagnostics, Injector cleaning  
Race & Suspension setup
General Servicing, Mots, tyre fitting
Full workshop facilities

145patrick the pulsar  - Page 6 Empty Re: patrick the pulsar 1st August 2014, 2:42 pm

GTIR James

No I think you are correct bob. Think it's defo ring related. Just in a shit situation now as weather I trust the guy who did the engine. Ps I will post some pics from the boroscope.

146patrick the pulsar  - Page 6 Empty Re: patrick the pulsar 1st August 2014, 2:52 pm

GTI-R US

GTI-R US
Management
Management

yeah because forge pistons wont break ringlands so you can rule them out
cp pistons wont melt between gudgeon pin and bottom ringland like weisco so rule that out

so basically leaves a broken ring or possibly circlip/snapring that secures gudgeon pin to piston may have come out, would be interesting to see the pics if you can get any

147patrick the pulsar  - Page 6 Empty Re: patrick the pulsar 1st August 2014, 2:57 pm

GTIR James

Yep I agree. What ever has happened must have happened in the build process. I just need to prove it as I'm not spending out all that cash again

Pics

patrick the pulsar  - Page 6 5575044a0f492d067140d6bb28514aad_zps18d7120f

148patrick the pulsar  - Page 6 Empty Re: patrick the pulsar 1st August 2014, 2:58 pm

GTIR James

patrick the pulsar  - Page 6 6d549b00a58e54025baf4837fc7e2b59_zps3282822d

Score marks on the cylinder walls

Last edited by GTIR James on 1st August 2014, 3:03 pm; edited 1 time in total

149patrick the pulsar  - Page 6 Empty Re: patrick the pulsar 1st August 2014, 2:58 pm

GTIR James

patrick the pulsar  - Page 6 A5d9b0546ca19e10811f4ff09918b078_zps9d3418c6

150patrick the pulsar  - Page 6 Empty Re: patrick the pulsar 1st August 2014, 2:58 pm

GTIR James

patrick the pulsar  - Page 6 94080dc87b769d45763b1185c270cecd_zpsdc07ffb2

You can just about make out all the oil on the piston

Last edited by GTIR James on 1st August 2014, 3:03 pm; edited 1 time in total

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 6 of 9]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum