Gtir Motorsport club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Gtir Motorsport club

Welcome to the largest Nissan Pulsar & Sunny GTI-R Forum. Masses of info, friendly members, cars for sale, lots of spares. Best forum on the net by far. Everything your gtir needs is here.

You are not connected. Please login or register

why does my R feel like it wants to kill me

5 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 3]

ROB_IOW

ROB_IOW
the two star club
the two star club

Well i took it out tonight filled her up and took her for a run ...
If im honest it did this before it went away for winter but i just got used to it .
But after driving my evo i've realised somthings not right

now im gonna try and describe what it feels like????

When i floor it in 1st gear it pulls straight at first but as soon as it starts to boost it pulls from one side of the road to the other . on full boost the way it pulls to the side feels so dangerous . I'd say alot of torque steer .

Now im only running 1 bar for now can't imagine what 1.4 bar + would feel like . It would probably just flip over onto it's roof !

Now whats wrong because it aint right and compared to the evo which just pulls straight always the R is very WRONG

Just a quick thought could it be my suspension ?
I'm still running standard shocks and springs ?

GTI-R US

GTI-R US
Management
Management

are you running a stock front diff?
if an lsd is fitted in transferbox then that will give those symptoms wih loads of torque steer which is why I don't like them.

could be badly aligned suspension setup, tracking out or possibly the centre diff in gearbox not working as it should.
first thing I would do is get 4 wheel alignment checked especially as you've been removing parts etc

http://www.gti-r-us.co.uk www.force500.com

Alignment,tyre pressures , if you have an LSD front diff put friction modifier in the oil.

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

Why do you think suspension rob ... if the shocks are shot then it will bounce about all over the place .i wouldnt nessary say side to side pulling bottom ball joints ? Wishbone bushes ? How does it look camber wise .... maybe shock inserts fooked i had one go on a car couldnt really tell until i jacked it up an could wiggle it side to side in the strut .... have you got top adjustable hats ?

ROB_IOW

ROB_IOW
the two star club
the two star club

As far as i know a standard diff .
It did this before bob i'd just gotten used to it before hand .

Had it 4x4 laser aligned before it came of the road . It didn't make a difference .
only suspension mods are
upper and lower Strut braces and white line anti lift kit + fully polybushed

How do i check all the diffs for correct working and to see if it has an LSD

I don't think it's anything i've done just after not driving it for so long i've finally realised it's not right

GTI-R US

GTI-R US
Management
Management

dan could explain this better than me but basically if the shaft was removed (one side) on car without lsd youll see a bar running through the shaft aperture, if lsd fitted then there will be no obstruction and you could see straight through.

also think youll struggle to turn wheels opposite directions if diff is fitted if its a stock viscous diff it will slip much easier

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

So what would be the best way to test it ... get all wheels off the floor so they can be all turned without load ?

GTI-R US

GTI-R US
Management
Management

yep

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

I still think regardless of having it 4 wheel allinged before you took it off the road if you stripped stuff off ie wishbones struts. Rollbar.track rod ends . then i would say it would still need doing again .

ROB_IOW

ROB_IOW
the two star club
the two star club

i agree about alignment if it was that .. but the fact it did it before points towards somthing else ..
no point in paying for alignment if i have to strip down again to replace suspension or gearbox etc .... is centre diff in gear box or transfer case

GTI-R US

GTI-R US
Management
Management

yep totally agree on that one
as soon as you unbolt anything on hubs struts etc it will alter alignment when reassembled, especially hub to strut bolts

centre diff is in gearbox front diff in transfer, by all means check those first then get alignment done afterwards

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

I wasnt saying it was alignment i was just saying it was pointless to do it before you stripped it down or was it to see if it would cure your fault .

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

Does it feel more front or back it doesnt bang or clonck or anything ?

ROB_IOW

ROB_IOW
the two star club
the two star club

i did get a clonk from the front once .. but that could have been the springs settling .
I got it aligned after i fitted new front rack ends .. was full 4x4 geo setup . it was no better afterwards..

You see im thinking could be old worn suspension because it doesn't arf lift up at the front when you floor it ..

So it lifts and i get torque steer ..
Is it doing the torque steer because the weight is lifting off the front wheels to much ?

Doesn't seem to do it when i turn the boost down .

You need to get, whitline springs, Koni shock inserts and the caster anti lift bushes. That will sort your handling....don't know if you can still get these new but I do have the shock inserts if you are desperate (brand new in ther boxes) , you are getting bump steer effect from the car lifting.

ROB_IOW

ROB_IOW
the two star club
the two star club

Didn't realise you could split the shocks ....

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

What springs and shocks have you got i know my springs i got before my coilovers were not exactly compressed tight due to the springs being short and when i took my shocks apart they was fooked there was no resistance in them at all .

ROB_IOW

ROB_IOW
the two star club
the two star club

Totally standard setup

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

Have you gave the top of the wing a push down see if the strut setlles or keeps bouncing after a hard push ?

ROB_IOW

ROB_IOW
the two star club
the two star club

Suspension is fairly solid.. Hardly moves when i push down.. .

GTI_R_IOW wrote:Suspension is fairly solid.. Hardly moves when i push down.. .

And that means a grand total of.......fuck all!

ROB_IOW

ROB_IOW
the two star club
the two star club

What it means is . . I can't posh it down so can't see if shocks are fooked because it won't bounce around....

So it does mean summit smart arse Very Happy

Pushing it up an down does not tell you if the shocks are fucked anyways.....it only tells you that on a horse and cart. A standard car is actually quite soft so it sounds like you have uprated springs which if has on standard shocks that will help to explain why the car feels awful

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

My ones wouldnt bounce and were solid but the shock were totaly kaput hopefully your new purchase will remedy your predicament anyway .. Wink

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

Why do they do it in mot tests then scratch

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 3]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum