Gtir Motorsport club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Gtir Motorsport club

Welcome to the largest Nissan Pulsar & Sunny GTI-R Forum. Masses of info, friendly members, cars for sale, lots of spares. Best forum on the net by far. Everything your gtir needs is here.

You are not connected. Please login or register

how often should the engine be started?

+3
ROB_IOW
johnny gtir
Daveymeladdy
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1how often should the engine be started? Empty how often should the engine be started? 3rd November 2017, 7:16 pm

Daveymeladdy

Daveymeladdy

My car is in for major body work at the mo, the guy said I probably wont get it back until just before Christmas. bearing in mind I droped it off first week in October, will it be Ok just sat there? You hear stories of people starting their engines after a while and then oil p*ssing out everywhere as all the seals had dried out.
Should I go up and run it up to temperature a few times or can I forget about it until December?

2how often should the engine be started? Empty Re: how often should the engine be started? 3rd November 2017, 7:33 pm

johnny gtir

johnny gtir

This time of year I would run it up a couple of times plus the battery needs keep topped up mate

3how often should the engine be started? Empty Re: how often should the engine be started? 3rd November 2017, 7:41 pm

ROB_IOW

ROB_IOW
the two star club
the two star club

If it were me I'd put a solar charger on it and forget about it .

4how often should the engine be started? Empty Re: how often should the engine be started? 3rd November 2017, 8:10 pm

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

10 or 11 weeks then ...
I wouldn't worry about it at all for such a short period and fact it likely inside .
even 2 yrs not a big deal for cars/engines stored inside in reasonable conditions .

5how often should the engine be started? Empty Re: how often should the engine be started? 3rd November 2017, 8:29 pm

Daveymeladdy

Daveymeladdy

The car is kind of inside, it's in a typical steel frame open sided garage. It's it bits at the mo but I just don't want to spend all this money on it then the engine gets knackered by not being used. Usually it's driven at least once every 4 weeks.
I'm not too worried about the battery, just the mechanics

6how often should the engine be started? Empty Re: how often should the engine be started? 3rd November 2017, 10:12 pm

ROB_IOW

ROB_IOW
the two star club
the two star club

They'll be fine .   My EVO and 306 cabby both sit  for 6 months from October till April  
EVO in the garage and 306 under car port  been doing this for 6 years and never had an issue .  

The evo has a battery conditioner on it and I just disconnect the 306's battery .  
They are both running the batteries  they had on then when I bought the cars over 8 years ago

All I do is make sure I've taken them for a run and got the engine and exhast system hot before I park them up . Then I don't touch them till April

7how often should the engine be started? Empty Re: how often should the engine be started? 4th November 2017, 12:23 am

johnboy

johnboy

My Rasheen's been outside for the last 3 or 4 months with battery disconnected. Went out on Monday connected battery, checked tyre pressures and drove it straight off for an MOT.
Passed with no advisories.... Very Happy Very Happy

8how often should the engine be started? Empty Re: how often should the engine be started? 4th November 2017, 1:46 pm

Ryaneg6freak

Ryaneg6freak

I've left cars sitting for over 3 years and restarted them with no issues. I wouldn't worry too much about that.

9how often should the engine be started? Empty Re: how often should the engine be started? 4th November 2017, 8:36 pm

Cosmic73

Cosmic73

Ryaneg6freak wrote:I've left cars sitting for over 3 years and restarted them with no issues. I wouldn't worry too much about that.

Las Vegas climate, could probably leave it 10 years and it would be fine, Very Happy

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum