Gtir Motorsport club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Gtir Motorsport club

Welcome to the largest Nissan Pulsar & Sunny GTI-R Forum. Masses of info, friendly members, cars for sale, lots of spares. Best forum on the net by far. Everything your gtir needs is here.

You are not connected. Please login or register

engine out

+4
GTI-R US
Mr B
Gostek
PartyPete
8 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1engine out  Empty engine out 6th July 2017, 1:48 pm

SonaGTIR

3 leaks that I can only trace to the back of the box. looks like it has to be a engine out job as don't think we can get to it..

really don't want the engine to drop because ive heard horror stories of it never being the same when it goes back in..eg more issues etc.

Anyone think of problem areas at the rear where oil could be leaking from?

what things should I be looking at replacing while its out No

2engine out  Empty Re: engine out 6th July 2017, 1:57 pm

johnny gtir

johnny gtir

How much oil mate ? Got to be running down from rocker cover or there is oil cooler back there.

Coolant hoses ( depending on age ) any vac pipes if you drop it out . Age of clutch

3engine out  Empty Re: engine out 6th July 2017, 2:21 pm

SonaGTIR

clutch is a 4 puk exceedy that has just gone in under 300 miles.

there small leaks and slow weeping. checked rocker cover thorough and nothing. brought the gasket for rocker anyway.

coolant hoses and vac lines all stock never changed so may beed to look at upgrade. don't think id be running temps to require samco though

4engine out  Empty Re: engine out 6th July 2017, 4:15 pm

PartyPete

PartyPete
the one star club
the one star club

I've had my engine out like 6 times and there's never been any issues when it's gone back in?

5engine out  Empty Re: engine out 6th July 2017, 7:35 pm

johnny gtir

johnny gtir

I think he is referring to age of wires etc pete mate and how easy if you ain't done it to maybe leave something connected and snap a wire or leave a pipe off on refit.

6engine out  Empty Re: engine out 6th July 2017, 7:54 pm

Gostek

Gostek
Events Organiser
Events Organiser

I think I've had 3 or 4 engines out on my drive this year... If people are cautious there shouldn't be any issues. Oil leak wise like Johny said rocker cover and distributor seal first thing to replace. Rocker cover makes hell of a mess, do it wash the engine put few miles on it and recheck... Coolant hoses are my biggest nightmare, I've had all of my old ones pop (and took head gasket with it) so if you can get samco or good quality silicone do it!

7engine out  Empty Re: engine out 6th July 2017, 7:57 pm

johnny gtir

johnny gtir

Where is the oil ? There ain't many places it can come from

8engine out  Empty Re: engine out 6th July 2017, 8:03 pm

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

what actually leaking engine oil, tranny oil, clutch fluid etc !
If coming out bell housing area could be crank seal or gearbox input seal if unlucky
sump is another for interesting leaks, if can't see much oil trail externally I would look into bellhousing via fork boot and see if signs of oil thrown about .  
If take time it no bother remove and refit an engine but care is needed plus possible repairs for previous bodges and age related hassles you encounter, most horror stories are combination of the people doing it and possibly totally bodged car to start with ...
If doing water hoses get genuine nissan (about same price) as they last 20 to 30 years, fit like a glove and don't leak unlike silicone kits that fit poor and don't last long .

9engine out  Empty Re: engine out 7th July 2017, 10:59 am

GTI-R US

GTI-R US
Management
Management

As Johnny says........Where abouts is the oil dripping?

It could be coming from higher up and running down, other common oil leaks (not mentioned) are:
Chain tensioner (rear left of engine)
Oil filter / housing
Front main oil seal
Oil pressure sensor (on cooler housing)
Turbo lines to block (above alternator)
Turbo (big) oil return pipe

I will take a guess that if clutch has been recently changed then they have not sealed the mating faces around oil seals from transfer to gearbox and its coming out the weephole where they both join.

Also to my knowledge Exedy do not make a 4 puk paddle clutch, they do a 3 puk and a 6 puk as well as basket type clutches

Nissan Performance & Tuning Centre
Services provided

Forge Engine rebuilds to specification
Body Restoration, Fabrication, Repair
Paint refinishing facilities
Ecu re-mapping-Performance upgrades
Auto Diagnostics, Injector cleaning  
Race & Suspension setup
General Servicing, Mots, tyre fitting
Full workshop facilities
http://www.gti-r-us.co.uk www.force500.com

10engine out  Empty Re: engine out 13th July 2017, 3:55 pm

Ricks1983

Ricks1983

They do make a 4 punk clutch as I've got one lol, it might be a new line they do bob
engine out  Img_0011
engine out  Img_0010
engine out  Img_0012

11engine out  Empty Re: engine out 13th July 2017, 3:55 pm

Ricks1983

Ricks1983

Oh shit not exedy helix I meant sorry ignore me lol

12engine out  Empty Re: engine out 13th July 2017, 5:56 pm

ben15476

ben15476

Ive gone off the Helix clutches tbh after my last one did this

engine out  WP_20160823_12_33_47_Pro_zpsespqhex8

13engine out  Empty Re: engine out 13th July 2017, 7:36 pm

Ricks1983

Ricks1983

If mine does that I will be taking the fucker to their hq! As that where I got mine from lol

14engine out  Empty Re: engine out 13th July 2017, 8:24 pm

ben15476

ben15476

They have taken mine and put it in on display in their reception.
Not sure why but thats what I was told....

15engine out  Empty Re: engine out 17th July 2017, 12:27 pm

SonaGTIR

guys the leak was coming from the plunger by the timing chain. sealed it back up and its stopped. so happy days. no engine out just drooped the drive shaft. so sorted that and now the alternator is making a horrid sound as the bearing is seized so new one required. hey ho 1 thing at a time

16engine out  Empty Re: engine out 18th July 2017, 6:06 am

johnny gtir

johnny gtir

Yes keep going mate and remember what I said don't leave them sitting un loved  a good run up to temp and out  and about every 10 days as if they sit they don't like you for leaving them ( like women they need attention and reassured) and show you that by failing or develop problems that were not there when you parked them up

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum