Gtir Motorsport club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Gtir Motorsport club

Welcome to the largest Nissan Pulsar & Sunny GTI-R Forum. Masses of info, friendly members, cars for sale, lots of spares. Best forum on the net by far. Everything your gtir needs is here.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Engine

5 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Engine Empty Engine 16th June 2013, 3:51 pm

Gti-r dannyboy

Hi there, had my pulsar a few years now my engine has always had a loud ticking noice coming from the engine its self, just wondering is this normal or not?

2Engine Empty Re: Engine 16th June 2013, 3:55 pm

Gaz GTiR

Gaz GTiR

Is it coming from top end of the engine?
Ticking noise is prob injectors? Tapping noise from top end will be valve clearences

3Engine Empty Re: Engine 16th June 2013, 4:16 pm

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

Bit more detail danny if you can if you listen can you locate the noise to any specific area at all ?

4Engine Empty Re: Engine 16th June 2013, 4:45 pm

Gti-r dannyboy

Just had top of the engine re-built head skimed, new cams( off bob). gets worse has the engine warms up.never had any effect on preformance tho. Bust a oil pipe for the oil cooler thought it was head gasket so took the head off, a very costly mistake, i new the cams had ware anyway but with the head off thought mite aswel but new 1s in.

5Engine Empty Re: Engine 16th June 2013, 4:46 pm

Gti-r dannyboy

Just had top of the engine re-built head skimed, new cams( off bob). gets worse has the engine warms up.never had any effect on preformance tho. Bust a oil pipe for the oil cooler thought it was head gasket so took the head off, a very costly mistake, i new the cams had ware anyway but with the head off thought mite aswel but new 1s in.

6Engine Empty Re: Engine 16th June 2013, 4:52 pm

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

Did you have it re-shimmed when it was rebuilt ? If you have put different cams then it would need to be shimmed to those cams .

7Engine Empty Re: Engine 16th June 2013, 4:52 pm

Gaz GTiR

Gaz GTiR

Is it more of a tapping noise than a clicking sound? Sounds like you need to reshim your valve clearences

8Engine Empty Re: Engine 16th June 2013, 4:56 pm

Gti-r dannyboy

Its bin re shimmed, and yes its a tapping noice, with it being re-shimmed i thought that would cure the problem. Gaz next time i come j10 meet have a listin

9Engine Empty Re: Engine 16th June 2013, 4:59 pm

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

Can you hear where abouts it is more intake side or chain end .......?

10Engine Empty Re: Engine 16th June 2013, 5:02 pm

Gaz GTiR

Gaz GTiR

Have I met you at j10? Cant picture who you are? Laughing

Maybe post a video up on here & we can have a listen

11Engine Empty Re: Engine 16th June 2013, 5:12 pm

Gti-r dannyboy

Am doing this off my iphone regards pics and stuff have only just leant 2 speak on this fourm( thick i know) but i will try. I came last year, pulsar wouldnt start first time when leavin so we all had a good look under the hood 2nd time off tryin in worked, first and only time it has failed 2 start sods law it happended when meeting with u guys!!

12Engine Empty Re: Engine 16th June 2013, 5:16 pm

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

I do everything off my phone danny  send your pics and vids to something like photobucket then paste the links on here very simple or email them to me and i will post them up for you seeing as im nice lol .

13Engine Empty Re: Engine 16th June 2013, 5:19 pm

Gaz GTiR

Gaz GTiR

I cant remember that mate? I may not of been at that meet? lol

14Engine Empty Re: Engine 16th June 2013, 5:28 pm

Gti-r dannyboy

Well next 1 u arrange i will b there, with 1 not being 4 a while. Are you from the midlands gaz.

15Engine Empty Re: Engine 16th June 2013, 5:29 pm

GTI-R US

GTI-R US
Management
Management

just hope it aint bottom end danny as that can sound as though its coming from the top.
other stuff it could be is
stretched timing chain, defective tensioner
noisy ps pump or alternator

if it mainly does it as you feather the throttle between 2-3k under load then its more than likely bottom end which aint so good.
see if you can post a vid up of the noise

http://www.gti-r-us.co.uk www.force500.com

16Engine Empty Re: Engine 16th June 2013, 5:37 pm

Gti-r dannyboy

Hi bob i have thought it was bottem end from day 1, witch i still think it is, whats the damage, or shal i call u 2 morro 4 a chat. What damage is it goin course drivin it?

17Engine Empty Re: Engine 16th June 2013, 5:46 pm

Gaz GTiR

Gaz GTiR

No from Derbyshire mate

18Engine Empty Re: Engine 16th June 2013, 5:56 pm

GTI-R US

GTI-R US
Management
Management

if its not too bad at the mo you may still be able to save the engine and crank.
carry on driving it and youll put a rod through the side of the block then whole engine will be scrap

I need to listen to it to have some idea, trouble with noise vids though is that its hard to pick out noise as it gets distorted over all the other noises.

why don't you just drop the complete sump and undo the bigend bearing caps, will take you 2-3 hours to check them over.
if one has spun you will soon see it.
if all is good then just fit another set of shells in her and then you have piece of mind that its not that

http://www.gti-r-us.co.uk www.force500.com

19Engine Empty Re: Engine 16th June 2013, 6:09 pm

Gti-r dannyboy

Hi gaz derbyshire is 45 mins from me and i wouldnt mind comin up and havin a chat with you, up 2 u at the end off the day. Bob just spoke 2 my dad for half hour and with the noice being there 4 2 years he sayes if it was big end it would off died my now!!

20Engine Empty Re: Engine 16th June 2013, 6:11 pm

Gaz GTiR

Gaz GTiR

Yeh if you want to pop over mate its no trouble. I wont be able to sort your problem but I will be able to prob diagnose it

21Engine Empty Re: Engine 16th June 2013, 6:31 pm

Gti-r dannyboy

I know u wont be able sort the problem out. but with havin the car 4 3years and not speakin with any1 with a plusar it would be nice 2 speak 2 sum1 with the same intresest

22Engine Empty Re: Engine 16th June 2013, 6:32 pm

Gaz GTiR

Gaz GTiR

Yeh of course mate, will be good to meet you & have a chat, you have a PM

23Engine Empty Re: Engine 16th June 2013, 7:36 pm

Gti-r dannyboy

Pm?

24Engine Empty Re: Engine 16th June 2013, 7:39 pm

Gaz GTiR

Gaz GTiR

PM = private msg mate, top of the page it will say you have 1 new msg

25Engine Empty Re: Engine 16th June 2013, 7:54 pm