Gtir Motorsport club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Gtir Motorsport club

Welcome to the largest Nissan Pulsar & Sunny GTI-R Forum. Masses of info, friendly members, cars for sale, lots of spares. Best forum on the net by far. Everything your gtir needs is here.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Project : Mid life Chrisis. Third time lucky .

+10
GTI-R US
gtir_woody
Cosmic73
johnny gtir
warringtonjack
ROB_IOW
DRC
Andy Sunny Gti
burrows1980
Stu
14 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 5]

DRC

DRC

Hi good people , my name is Dan and I am about to take the plunge once again into all things gtir with the purchase of R number 3.

I have been on the Gtir forums for 12 years and was pointed to this site via Mr Haywood . So as this is a very vibrant and busy forum it would be the best place for help and support in the long road ahead. I will give you a snipit of my r history.

Gtir 1 was a near nut and bolt build and i poured so much time ,money and love into her! This ignited my love for the R. I regretfully had to sell her after completing it as I was a student and something had to give.

Gtir 2 . This was a rotten beast and was great fun to drive but I had an offer of a life time on it and could not say no.  Both the links to these cars are now  unfortunately dead .

So after mk2  crxs one of which I had for 7 years I have come back to my first choice !
Having been a little late out of the blocks with starting g a family I now have a little more time to myself and want to get my head into these wonderful cars.

So all going well tomorrow I will be driving back my next project and setting to work................

When I get her home I will upload photos and a full detailed spec.

For now I will show you where she will be living .

I'm looking forward to developing good project thread.

photo 34E2FA35-0298-4042-8276-64A2078355A2_zpsoepf2hqp.jpg

johnny gtir

johnny gtir

Welcome to the forum. It is busy and any info just ask some very clever people from all backgrounds on here. A fair few that just read posts but should write don't have to be car related. So what's the condition/spec of the new one if you get it

Cosmic73

Cosmic73

After owning 2 Gtirs you might be teaching us a thing or two mate Very Happy
There's quite a few of us in the midlands, in fact you just missed a really good meet last week at Santa Pod.
Looking forward to seeing your R and give us a tinkle if you need help.

Stu

Stu
Admin
Admin

Hi and welcome Dan.
What was your user name on modifiers? Not Danmo?
Would be good to see pics of your old R's aswel as your new one Smile
You have arrived at the best club for help and advice aswel as a great comunity with many club events through the year Smile
Where you buying your new R from? Is it a known one?

gtir_woody

gtir_woody

Welcome to the forum mate, it would take alot of commitment to do a near nut and bolt build, shows you really like the car Smile

DRC

DRC

Thanks chaps, my user name has always been DRC on all car forums. I will surely be asking questions and picking minds over time. The car I'm collecting is from a member of th OC but he keeps out of the main flow on there. The car is not up for sale and was a reply to me posting in the wanted section. I am Looking forward to spending lots of money ,feeling defeated and frustrated.

gtir_woody

gtir_woody

DRC wrote:I am Looking forward to spending lots of money ,feeling defeated and frustrated.

You are the perfect type of person to own an R then Laughing

burrows1980

burrows1980

Welcome to the forum mate, as said above plenty of very technically minded people on here plus some not technically minded people like myself Laughing but all try to help each other out thumbsup

Gaz

DRC

DRC

I got up at 5 to catch the train from m Narbourogh to Neath. Upon arriving around 11 the weather was drizzly and miserable . I met the seller at the station then we went for a spin in the car. We have been communicating for a couple of weeks now and he has been very honest about the car. I did have it checked over by s third party before I got there just to be sure .
It was exactly as discribed . So I was happy.
I won't name him yet but he really is a very genuine chap who has put lots of time and effort into the car!

We did the deal and also got a few freebies thrown in and set off on the 200 mile trip. The car drove very well much better than I expected . The clutch is not as bad as I thought it was going to be being a twin plate and the ride was comfortable for a 25 year old car.
Overall I am chuffed with the car and can't wait to start getting on with this project.

The car has covered about 400miles in the last 6 years I think so it needed s good run , which it got.

So the spec
I will copy the email I had and add to it in time
So here goes
DRC said: ↑
If you don't mind I would like to look over your build and see some pictures. Cheers
Yeah that's fine mate. I'm away with work at the mo, but I'll be home over the weekend and get some photos for you. Current spec list is below. It's currently running base pressure because the numpty of a 'tuner' I took it too last time has plumbed the boost controller incorrectly. He has plumbed it for an internal wastegate instead of external. It's an easy fix, but I was waiting until I took it to Ed at Fusion to swap it around and remap it. The engine is actually one that Ed and Ashills tuned up a few years ago.

Other things I had on my list was to install bucket seats, flock the dash, uprate the rear brakes and maybe install a cage depending which route I went down.

I've had the car for 12 years now, and the reason I'm selling is because since my first little boy came along, I've had next to no time to play with the car and get the things done. And now that my second is due in a month, I'll have no time at all, and it kills me to see it just sat there gathering dust.

I've put a lot of time and effort into the car over the years, and don't want it going to some chav who's just going to destroy it. I know it's not the pristine car you want, but I'm open to offers if it's something you think you could take on and progress.

Engine:
Forged JE 87mm Pistons
2mm HKS headgasket
Jim wolf series 3 260 cams
GT3076R turbo
Apexi Power FC pro (plus commander)
Polished and modified standard manifold
XS Power external wastegate
3mm PTFE inlet manifold gasket
XS Power oversize intercooler and pipework
Z32MAF
Oversize Alloy Radiator
Blitz LM induction kit
Gizzmo boost controller
Custom 3" front exit exhaust
HKS SSQV bov
BCR8ES plugs
SARD 1000cc injectors
Kyosan 390l/h fuel pump
Uprated fuel pressure regulator
OS Giken twin plate clutch and flywheel

Drivetrain:
Quaife gearset in standard box

Suspension:
KYB Super Street adjustable on front
Tein Pillow Ball Topmounts
Front Cusco strut brace
Rear Nismo strut brace

Wheels:
Redline Innovit 17” in white
Toyo Proxes T1 tyres

Brakes
Front:
HiSpec Monster 6 Pot Calipers
Grooved 300mm discs
Goodrich braided hoses
EBC Red-stuff pads

Rear: Standard

Exterior:
Full Subaru World Rally Blue respray
Front bumper cut out and meshed
Clear indicators
Clear side repeaters
Nismo polyurethane mudflaps

Interior: HKS turbo timer
Gizzmo boost controller
GReddy boost gauge in pillar pod
Apexi RSM computer

Power
Estimated 420bhp @ 1.4Bar
500bhp @ 2.0Bar

So that's the basics . It does have some rust and needs a good bit of TLC .
I have spoken to bob and I am hoping to get in in for a full check over and mapping session this week as it is only set to 1.2/3bar and does not pull like it has 420 in all honesty . Plus I need lots of bits of which I will pop up a list in the parts wanted section.

Here are a couple of pics

More to follow. I have already lowered the bonnet back to normal as it was raised to aid cooling .

Project : Mid life Chrisis. Third time lucky . 39ECF95A-2CBF-4E94-8361-BBAEF497C583_zpsswqyhz4n

Project : Mid life Chrisis. Third time lucky . 9929A523-653D-4F90-8D89-642FFDBE23C7_zpszyamjwou

Last edited by DRC on 23rd July 2016, 9:55 pm; edited 1 time in total

Stu

Stu
Admin
Admin

Looks awsome in that colour.
Great spec too Smile
Looks like you have got yourself a great buy that you can make better Wink

burrows1980

burrows1980

Does look good in that colour, as Stu said good spec as well! Your missing a bonnet height adjuster rubber thingy too.

DRC

DRC

burrows1980 wrote:Does look good in that colour, as Stu said good spec as well! Your missing a bonnet height adjuster rubber thingy too.

Good point!!! that might explain the rattle at idle now I have removed the bonnet raisers .
Any idea where I can get hold of a pair ?

burrows1980

burrows1980

I got some from Nissan a few months back, only a few quid each if I remember.

Will dig the part number out for you and the price if I still have the email..

Edit:

62840 Bumper Hood 65822-01M00-

That part number is superseded to 908782L700 £6.50ea inc VAT

Check with Nissan to make sure that new part number is right

Price was right on 21st oct 2015

DRC

DRC

Thank you for that . Very kind if you.

Andy Sunny Gti

Andy Sunny Gti

Welcome on board...

gtir_woody

gtir_woody

Nice specs, should be a fun car to drive mate Smile

DRC

DRC

gtir_woody wrote:Nice specs, should be a fun car to drive mate Smile

Well driving it back from neath was actually really enjoyable . Only negative points I have to say is the drivers side exit exhaust drones and is annoying when the window is open so maybe I will look for a rear exiting system in the future .
The boost comes in so far up the Rev range but when it comes in it's hard!
My last project car was a Crx b18t which had a md214 turbo ( gtir turbo dynamics number) and ran 298bhp and was very responsive . The gtir some how does not feel any faster than this at 1.2/3 bar boost .
I understand the r is 4wd and weighs more , maybe I was expecting to much .

But there is no dyno proof the car is running 420bhp .

It's off to Bob to get his view next week all going well .

I also noticed that there is a very slight gear box whine when in 5th and cruising around 70/80. But It is not in any other gear?!??

(Quaife box built by Bernie )

Anyway lots to do . Starting with removing the mudflaps .

Cosmic73

Cosmic73

Mines got a quaife and it whines in every gear,
My wife does the same Razz

gtir_woody

gtir_woody

When does boost start coming on?

gtir_woody

gtir_woody

Cosmic73 wrote:Mines got a quaife and it whines in every gear,
My wife does the same Razz

yoursofunny

DRC

DRC

So now its home the first main job was to have the car valeted . The inside now smells and looks wonderful ! The exterior was also cleaned and polished and lastly the engine bay was de-gunked and pressure washed off.

So job one was to re badge the car after finding all four badges in the glove box.
Then I noticed corrosion and chipped paint on the rear wiper arm so that got a coat of satin black .

Project : Mid life Chrisis. Third time lucky . F17C5B60-E4DC-4187-A486-8AE130A783FD_zpshy8x9ud5

The interior will be getting some work this week as I have a cheap Sony stereo and lots of gauges to mount / neaten up.

Project : Mid life Chrisis. Third time lucky . B302C523-67E6-49EB-A345-901A5CBD5F64_zpsny0vcrug

The car sits to high for my liking so I'm on the look out for some springs and shocks to remedy this problem .
Also I have to remover the aftermarket nismo mud flaps .

Project : Mid life Chrisis. Third time lucky . EA89CECB-3CB6-4F36-9DF2-5B8859E078DE_zpsosnw9xk0

I will be getting under the car this week to see what's what .

ROB_IOW

ROB_IOW
the two star club
the two star club

That side pic makes it look lowered on the front

Stu

Stu
Admin
Admin

Looking fresh Wink
The rear end is high. What suspension is on it?

warringtonjack

Not wasting any time there!!

The flaps are bolted on using the standard bolts, so easy to take them off. Did you find the badge for the front grille as well? Question

Rear suspension is standard I think. Used to have KYB Super Streets on the back as well, but these got swapped out due to an MOT issue a few years ago. Can't remember exactly what the issue was! scratch

DRC

DRC

Hello Mike , hope all is well with you and the family ?
in answer to your question yes the front Nissan badge was there to. After a good poke around it does look like you really have looked after this car . I did not know you had full under sealed the car!
Started on the interior today . Brought a stereo and some door speakers so there is sound to drown out the exhaust ! Had the inside wet vaxed and its transformed the front it smells very different . I will pop up a snap when it's done. I have given up now as its to hot and have taken to the (cool) hot tub with a beer and music .

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 5]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum