Gtir Motorsport club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Gtir Motorsport club

Welcome to the largest Nissan Pulsar & Sunny GTI-R Forum. Masses of info, friendly members, cars for sale, lots of spares. Best forum on the net by far. Everything your gtir needs is here.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Compression Ratio

+3
shroom
Indy
pulsarmoley
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Compression Ratio Empty Compression Ratio 8th November 2015, 7:05 pm

pulsarmoley

pulsarmoley

Ok so i wanna have a discussion about compression ratios, i know in standard form our engines run 8.3:1, just interested to see what other CR people are running on their cars as to power and mods etc.
Im interested as i think from my workings out im only running approx 8.2:1. With my plan to only run the car around 330hp im wanting to up the CR to improve on torque, so my question is would i be ok to run closer to 9:1?

2Compression Ratio Empty Re: Compression Ratio 8th November 2015, 9:11 pm

Indy

Iirc naturally aspirated cars run high comment ion ratios where as its ment to be better to run lower compression on turbo cars and then up the boost by using a thicker head gasket

3Compression Ratio Empty Re: Compression Ratio 8th November 2015, 9:36 pm

pulsarmoley

pulsarmoley

Yeah ive been researching and found that for example running a big turbo such as a 3071, people were runner a thicker h/g to lower CR for more boost overall. Some people however ran a lower boost and higher CR for better off boost response. My thinking was that running a small turbo; like a GT2860RS, i could run a CR close to 9:1 if only running the turbo at circa 1.3bar?

4Compression Ratio Empty Re: Compression Ratio 8th November 2015, 10:16 pm

shroom

shroom

Speak to Stu as his brother built a high comp engine exactly how you explain above to give a more responsive car. The thick headgasket is quite an old skool method to whack ip the boost (very dp motorsport) and although OK I dont know how happy I would be with the car.

Stu's brother did a lot of work on this subject although Danny Fennel brought it off him and you know the rest of the story it now has some big bhp

5Compression Ratio Empty Re: Compression Ratio 8th November 2015, 11:09 pm

pulsarmoley

pulsarmoley

Ok cheers, hopefully Stu will check this thread and give some more input

6Compression Ratio Empty Re: Compression Ratio 9th November 2015, 5:16 pm

Indy

I believe running lower compression is ment to be 'safer' for the engine but suppose thinking logically about it when you run high boost it work out the same in the compression chambers

7Compression Ratio Empty Re: Compression Ratio 9th November 2015, 5:28 pm

pulsarmoley

pulsarmoley

Something like that, i think to make higher boost or higher cr you retard the timing

8Compression Ratio Empty Re: Compression Ratio 9th November 2015, 8:35 pm

johnny gtir

johnny gtir

Higher boost on lower compression is the way Norris work there sr20 Det lumps I think they say it's better to blow a turbo than engine. I could be talkin crap

9Compression Ratio Empty Re: Compression Ratio 9th November 2015, 8:41 pm

pulsarmoley

pulsarmoley

johnny gtir wrote:Higher boost on lower compression is the way Norris work there sr20 Det lumps I think they say it's better to blow a turbo than engine. I could be talkin crap

I wonder if this is applied to all power specs they have done; i.e 300hp spec compared to 500hp

10Compression Ratio Empty Re: Compression Ratio 9th November 2015, 8:56 pm

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

Alot of the new engines run high comp with turbo .... not sure what cr is though ...

11Compression Ratio Empty Re: Compression Ratio 9th November 2015, 9:02 pm

pulsarmoley

pulsarmoley

nomad wrote:Alot of the new engines run high comp with turbo .... not sure what cr is though ...

Didnt think about that, another thing to look into

12Compression Ratio Empty Re: Compression Ratio 9th November 2015, 9:23 pm

Indy

On the subject of cr how does one check cr without knowing what the engine spec is?
Is there a calculation to measure it?
Sorry for the hijack

13Compression Ratio Empty Re: Compression Ratio 9th November 2015, 9:38 pm

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

With something like this .....
http://www.csgnetwork.com/compcalc.html

14Compression Ratio Empty Re: Compression Ratio 9th November 2015, 10:08 pm

pulsarmoley

pulsarmoley

nomad wrote: With something like this .....
http://www.csgnetwork.com/compcalc.html

Yeah this is what i used

87mm bore
86mm stroke
87mm h/g bore
1.5mm h/g thickness
46cc head combustion area
-14.3 piston dome area
0.2 mm deck clearance (a guess?)

Equates to 8.26:1 CR

15Compression Ratio Empty Re: Compression Ratio 10th November 2015, 8:02 pm

pulsarmoley

pulsarmoley

nomad wrote:Alot of the new engines run high comp with turbo .... not sure what cr is though ...

Had a brief look Lieghton, found astra vxr runs a 8.8:1 and that new civic with the turbo vtec run 9.8:1 but i reckon they get away with that through the setup of the vtec

16Compression Ratio Empty Re: Compression Ratio 10th November 2015, 8:45 pm

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

Intresting i know corsa vxr's are also .... i wonder what size headgasket they use .....

17Compression Ratio Empty Re: Compression Ratio 10th November 2015, 8:57 pm

pulsarmoley

pulsarmoley

The astra vxr runs a square block design like the sr20; bore x stroke 86mm x 86mm

I think from what i have found h/g is 1.3mm

18Compression Ratio Empty Re: Compression Ratio 11th November 2015, 4:53 pm

pulsarmoley

pulsarmoley

shroom wrote:Speak to Stu as his brother built a high comp engine exactly how you explain above to give a more responsive car. The thick headgasket is quite an old skool method to whack ip the boost (very dp motorsport) and although OK I dont know how happy I would be with the car.

Stu's brother did a lot of work on this subject although Danny Fennel brought it off him and you know the rest of the story it now has some big bhp

Stu?

19Compression Ratio Empty Re: Compression Ratio 11th November 2015, 5:34 pm

Stu

Stu
Admin
Admin

Ffs. Stupid fecking android and wifi has deleted my reply grrr
I will ask my brother to pop on and give his advice

http://www.j10-meets.co.uk

20Compression Ratio Empty Re: Compression Ratio 11th November 2015, 5:47 pm

pulsarmoley

pulsarmoley

Stu wrote:Ffs. Stupid fecking android and wifi has deleted my reply grrr

Top man Cool

21Compression Ratio Empty Re: Compression Ratio 11th November 2015, 8:20 pm

johnny gtir

johnny gtir

Stu wrote:Ffs. Stupid fecking android and wifi has deleted my reply grrr
Look forward to this

22Compression Ratio Empty Re: Compression Ratio 11th November 2015, 9:32 pm

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

I would be careful with comp ratios on the old det's as the engines don't have the best knock limit or knock control standard.
In petes scenario of running lower boost of a bar to say 1.2 with perhaps a GTX2860r the suggested comp of 8.8 to 9 would probably be ok but I would choose 8.8. Running higher comp increases chance of det so you want best fuel you can get & good ecu/mapping to control it, proper closed loop det with dynamic ignition map trimming would be advisable to make most of it on the R safely .
early evo's had 8.8 comp, later 9 . You will get slightly better initial response from higher comp ratio but don't go to far. evos have tried anything up up to 10.5 but late evo engines have good knock limit.

23Compression Ratio Empty Re: Compression Ratio 11th November 2015, 9:35 pm

pulsarmoley

pulsarmoley

Thanks for that Mr B, good info there thumbsup

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum