Gtir Motorsport club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Gtir Motorsport club

Welcome to the largest Nissan Pulsar & Sunny GTI-R Forum. Masses of info, friendly members, cars for sale, lots of spares. Best forum on the net by far. Everything your gtir needs is here.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Interesting topic from the sr20-forum

+9
nomad
GTI-R US
johnny gtir
Mr B
shroom
Digitalfaze
gtir_woody
grim_d
PartyPete
13 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Interesting topic from the sr20-forum Empty Interesting topic from the sr20-forum 11th June 2015, 7:59 am

This makes for an interesting read never thought of this conversion personally but seems like a good way to go.

http://www.sr20-forum.com/forced-induction-mechanical/77812-557-bhp-vvl-gtir.html

PartyPete

PartyPete
the one star club
the one star club

Wow! I wonder how much work is involved to fit the gt4 box?? Iv all ways wondered what the advantages of these vvl heads are? And from what car do you get them? Any body shed some light?

grim_d

grim_d

It did have me on ebay looking at gearboxes the other night. Well done that man but clearly he has the finances to throw money at a problem until it works.

Would love to know more specific details as surely there's more to it than adaptor plate and a custom clutch. Driveshaft length? Prop/diff mount as he is also using a 185 rear diff? Etc etc

Given that I have a spare shell/engine etc id be sorely tempted to experiment if I had to cash to do so, not this year anyway . My box is holding fine but Everytime I go for a hard overtake in 3rd im waiting for it to let go.

Pete as for VVL heads firstly Incorporates variable valve timing which would allow for better torque figures lower down like in the evo 9 and above "mivec" because I am not mentioning them other lawnmower type mobiles that bang on about Vvt like it's a turbo or something Laughing secondly it allows us to raise our rev limit which not only means we can change to more aggressive cams but also allows a longer power band on our bigger turbos instead of having a few thousand on power we might see closer to 5k! An sr20ve head would need an oil feed adding, and the holes bored out from 14mm to 17mm and a few other bits iirc.
Worthwhile conversion when chasing bigger power !

And grim it had me doing the same thing but I reckon it would take as much work as making an evo box fit I.e custom prop shafts, mounts and mounting engine a bit lower etc but that's just my opinion ! Just hope the map holds the car together Laughing

grim_d

grim_d

From reading the thread its a gtir prop shaft but no idea how its been modified.

Doesn't look theres any change in engine height.

gtir_woody

gtir_woody

The gt4 gearbox is interesting, haven't heard of that before. VVL heads are awesome, as said above abit of work setting up but they have great results. One day that will be my next my mod.

PartyPete

PartyPete
the one star club
the one star club

Could you be a little more specific please Pete Razz" alt="Razz" title="Razz"> ! Worth looking at then if going over 500bhp? What cars does they come from?

Digitalfaze

Digitalfaze
web admin
web admin

PartyPete wrote:Could you be a little more specific please Pete Razz" alt="Razz" title="Razz"> ! Worth looking at then if going over 500bhp? What cars does they come from?

comes from an almera or primera vvl, similar to v-tec like explained

http://www.sr20forum.com/neovvl-guides/70960-how-vvl-works.html

http://www.avaloncreative.co.uk

10Interesting topic from the sr20-forum Empty Re: Interesting topic from the sr20-forum 11th June 2015, 11:34 am

You mean for the first time on the forum I got something right? BONUS !!!! I'm learning Laughing looks like pulsar ownership is helping to teach me about cars Very Happy

11Interesting topic from the sr20-forum Empty Re: Interesting topic from the sr20-forum 11th June 2015, 11:36 am

shroom

shroom

Petelesta wrote:You mean for the first time on the forum I got something right? BONUS !!!! I'm learning Laughing looks like pulsar ownership is helping to teach me about cars Very Happy

You are just good at copy and pasting moonie

12Interesting topic from the sr20-forum Empty Re: Interesting topic from the sr20-forum 11th June 2015, 11:37 am

shroom wrote:
Petelesta wrote:You mean for the first time on the forum I got something right? BONUS !!!! I'm learning Laughing looks like pulsar ownership is helping to teach me about cars Very Happy

You are just good at copy and pasting moonie
Haha fuck off tom this all came from my head you knob !!!

13Interesting topic from the sr20-forum Empty Re: Interesting topic from the sr20-forum 11th June 2015, 11:38 am

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

GT4 box was mentioned a few times on here when talking about box conversions.
It is a known strong box but how strong in standard form is still a bit of concern.
Unless you got cheap machineshop access and happen get a GT4 donor for next to free (not a common box to try source easily/cheap) it would cost you more than a PAR kit & strengthened standard assembly.
Prop if lucky can either have remachined plates on donor parts or conversion plates to match gt4 flange one side & gtir other & work similar to wheel hub adaptors.
Would assume box & diff lend itself quite well to the fitting position. Wouldn't bother with evo boxes as they not that strong unless aftermarket gearkit.
Certainly could be expensive but good to see decent solutions being found & developed.

14Interesting topic from the sr20-forum Empty Re: Interesting topic from the sr20-forum 11th June 2015, 11:44 am

PartyPete

PartyPete
the one star club
the one star club

A primera gt head.....?

15Interesting topic from the sr20-forum Empty Re: Interesting topic from the sr20-forum 11th June 2015, 11:46 am

PartyPete

PartyPete
the one star club
the one star club

No wait that's the DE?!

johnny gtir

johnny gtir

Ain't this what Andy is doing sure I read the 1600 cams are best or the head over the 2.0 or something and they come off is it the nissan x trail

17Interesting topic from the sr20-forum Empty Re: Interesting topic from the sr20-forum 11th June 2015, 10:18 pm

GTI-R US

GTI-R US
Management
Management

Wouldn't rave too much about the vvl heads they are good and produce good power with raised Rev limit
But
I've found out something very interesting in last few months regarding why and how the det head throws rockers and how to stop this happening.
I'm not gonna go into detail just yet but I'l soon be trialling a revised head we've built which should be able to sustain a 9k rpm limit after finding out some info that completely surprised me and made me change everything regarding head work we've done in the past.

I have never thrown a rocker and that's on thousands of track miles but that could simply be down to luck more than judgement.
Thing is it's a relatively cheap and simple mod too and this comes directly from the guy who helped set up and test the original nme cars back in early 90s.
They bench tested some engines to destruction and same thing happened in every one of them Wink

All will be told soon

Nissan Performance & Tuning Centre
Services provided

Forge Engine rebuilds to specification
Body Restoration, Fabrication, Repair
Paint refinishing facilities
Ecu re-mapping-Performance upgrades
Auto Diagnostics, Injector cleaning  
Race & Suspension setup
General Servicing, Mots, tyre fitting
Full workshop facilities
http://www.gti-r-us.co.uk www.force500.com

18Interesting topic from the sr20-forum Empty Re: Interesting topic from the sr20-forum 11th June 2015, 10:23 pm

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

Will you be doing this as a kit bob will it still need shimming etc i know you dont want to go into to much detail .... but intrested in how much of the head stays oe kind of thing ????

19Interesting topic from the sr20-forum Empty Re: Interesting topic from the sr20-forum 11th June 2015, 10:36 pm

GTI-R US

GTI-R US
Management
Management

It will stay completely oe Leighton

I'm not going to broadcast it on here as I've been doing some extensive research regarding the matter in hand but I'm willing to share what I've found to those that want to try it providing they keep it to themselves.
Once I've tested the head on an engine (probably on an engine dynamometer which I have access too) and I know for a fact that it works then I will let people know what to do if they drop me a pm.
we can do it for them if they don't have the skills or tools to do it themselves but cheaper obviously to do the mod yourselves

Nissan Performance & Tuning Centre
Services provided

Forge Engine rebuilds to specification
Body Restoration, Fabrication, Repair
Paint refinishing facilities
Ecu re-mapping-Performance upgrades
Auto Diagnostics, Injector cleaning  
Race & Suspension setup
General Servicing, Mots, tyre fitting
Full workshop facilities
http://www.gti-r-us.co.uk www.force500.com

johnny gtir

johnny gtir

Above looks like another reason this site is different to others someone willing to help others to try mods the self instead of just saying us In the know don't have this problem and not helping others

Indy

Well said johnny

luke s

I know a guy that's putting a gt4 box in a skyline so I'm awaiting to see how they get on with that as it's a drift car, but as Johnny says it shows Bob's devotion to this site and car, top work bud

splmum

splmum

Waiting, Bob, waiting, waiting Smile

gtir_woody

gtir_woody

Like the fact your spending the time doing the research bob, opening up opportunities for improvements and more reliability for our motors, interested to hear the results.

RO_SUNNY

RO_SUNNY

But...what about the GT4 gearbox?

Did someone else studied the issue?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum