Gtir Motorsport club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Gtir Motorsport club

Welcome to the largest Nissan Pulsar & Sunny GTI-R Forum. Masses of info, friendly members, cars for sale, lots of spares. Best forum on the net by far. Everything your gtir needs is here.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Gearbox transfer box and diff oil's

+6
shroom
Mr B
Ajay.
johnny gtir
nomad
Hardy172cup
10 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Gearbox transfer box and diff oil's  Empty Gearbox transfer box and diff oil's 16th March 2015, 5:46 pm

Hardy172cup

Hardy172cup
the one star club
the one star club

I will be changing the oil in my gearbox and transfer box box soon and I may change the rear diff oil too wile I'm at it.

What's the right oil to use? I have heard 75w90 is what I need?

Is there anything else I should look out for because I know they have specifucations like gl-4 and gl-5, which do I need and is it the same for the gearbox as the transfer and the diff?

Any recommendations on a decent but cheep oil to use? I don't want to be spending hundreds but I want to get the right stuff in it.

Cheers thumbsup

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

75w/90 make sure its gl4 bill .... Wink

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

Its not going to be cheap iirc the gearbox holds like 4.5 litres from empty ....

Hardy172cup

Hardy172cup
the one star club
the one star club

Cheers mate

What if it's specified for both gl4 and 5 is that ok lol?

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm?itemId=161133108382
Same with the transfer box
gl4 
mt90 
think its 75-90 
1.5 litres .

Last edited by nomad on 16th March 2015, 6:15 pm; edited 1 time in total

Hardy172cup

Hardy172cup
the one star club
the one star club

I can't open that link mate

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

I wouldnt like to comment on wether that would be ok or not i just know it should be gl4 mate sorry couldnt be any more help ....

Hardy172cup

Hardy172cup
the one star club
the one star club

I've just seen a few oils that say gl4 and gl5 on them :/

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

Re linked bill .... thumbsup

10Gearbox transfer box and diff oil's  Empty Re: Gearbox transfer box and diff oil's 16th March 2015, 6:16 pm

johnny gtir

johnny gtir

You have watsapp bill

11Gearbox transfer box and diff oil's  Empty Re: Gearbox transfer box and diff oil's 16th March 2015, 6:16 pm

Hardy172cup

Hardy172cup
the one star club
the one star club

No I haven't got it mate soz

12Gearbox transfer box and diff oil's  Empty Re: Gearbox transfer box and diff oil's 16th March 2015, 6:18 pm

Hardy172cup

Hardy172cup
the one star club
the one star club

That syn5 is a gl-5 oil

13Gearbox transfer box and diff oil's  Empty Re: Gearbox transfer box and diff oil's 16th March 2015, 6:20 pm

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

Its a gl4 mate ....

14Gearbox transfer box and diff oil's  Empty Re: Gearbox transfer box and diff oil's 16th March 2015, 6:21 pm

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

Let others comment but pretty sure its ok ...

15Gearbox transfer box and diff oil's  Empty Re: Gearbox transfer box and diff oil's 16th March 2015, 6:22 pm

Hardy172cup

Hardy172cup
the one star club
the one star club

It says gl5 in the description but gl4 and 5 in the title :/

16Gearbox transfer box and diff oil's  Empty Re: Gearbox transfer box and diff oil's 16th March 2015, 6:27 pm

Ajay.

The fuchs one is fine for transfer and diff as its rated for gl4/gl5 in the above link Leighton posted

And mt90 for gearbox as its gl4

17Gearbox transfer box and diff oil's  Empty Re: Gearbox transfer box and diff oil's 16th March 2015, 6:37 pm

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

Good one for sensible price & quality is Millers CRX 75/90
gl4/5 spec, syncro & most lsd type friendly too.
easily available in UK so prices can be good if shop about or even opie oil if got good discount code ...

Gearbox 4.2L
Transfer 1.5L
Rear Diff 1L

18Gearbox transfer box and diff oil's  Empty Re: Gearbox transfer box and diff oil's 16th March 2015, 6:53 pm

Hardy172cup

Hardy172cup
the one star club
the one star club

I've found this on ebay. It doesn't look the best brand of oil but it's fully synthetic 75w90 and it's gl-4/gl-5

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/110957187105?nav=SEARCH

19Gearbox transfer box and diff oil's  Empty Re: Gearbox transfer box and diff oil's 16th March 2015, 6:55 pm

Hardy172cup

Hardy172cup
the one star club
the one star club

Cheers Johnny for the text with info regarding oils. Much appreciated mate

Thanks everyone else for the input. What do you think of the oil I've found? Would you use it in the box as well or just the transfer and diff and get a better oul for the box

20Gearbox transfer box and diff oil's  Empty Re: Gearbox transfer box and diff oil's 16th March 2015, 7:25 pm

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

I would get better for all, as gearbox is the main consumer of oil buying cheap for diff & transfer saves you nothing really.
Millers probably set you back £75 to £80 if shop about or have better than the average 10% discount with opie.
Cheap oil will be £40 to £50 but not always cheap in the long run. For road use you could get 3 year service interval on the good stuff & know transmission being looked after ... the CRX oil works well on our boxes syncros too ...

21Gearbox transfer box and diff oil's  Empty Re: Gearbox transfer box and diff oil's 16th March 2015, 8:50 pm

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

64 quid for 5 litres of the crx 75w/90 on ebay ...

22Gearbox transfer box and diff oil's  Empty Re: Gearbox transfer box and diff oil's 16th March 2015, 9:02 pm

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

^ yeh ebay not cheap. my prices are based on 7ltrs
£80 to £90 from opie pending on discount coupons you got based on 7ltr
Would of though few other uk suppliers will beat that though.

23Gearbox transfer box and diff oil's  Empty Re: Gearbox transfer box and diff oil's 16th March 2015, 9:24 pm

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

Opie oils give everyone 10%discount .... opie oils for the same as ebay 70.99 for 5 litres ....

24Gearbox transfer box and diff oil's  Empty Re: Gearbox transfer box and diff oil's 16th March 2015, 9:27 pm

Hardy172cup

Hardy172cup
the one star club
the one star club

The thing is that stuff cost less than the millers 5l for 10l

I know the thought of running a Gtir on a budget is not the best but the truth is I'm broke and I didn't expect my gearbox to go so I'm faced with a big bill no matter what I do. I've got spend money on the box itself, oil for the box and transfer box plus fitting so either way it's a big bill.

My point is even though it maybe false economy but I can save a few quid on oil now to keep costs down and I can always change it for better in say a years time.
I just want to make sure it's the right stuff so I don't cause damage trying to be a tight fisted git Laughing

25Gearbox transfer box and diff oil's  Empty Re: Gearbox transfer box and diff oil's 16th March 2015, 9:28 pm

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

So would work out about 103 quid is for 7 litres ....

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum