Gtir Motorsport club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Gtir Motorsport club

Welcome to the largest Nissan Pulsar & Sunny GTI-R Forum. Masses of info, friendly members, cars for sale, lots of spares. Best forum on the net by far. Everything your gtir needs is here.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Where would i buy a caliper willwood rebuild kit

+2
nomad
ROB_IOW
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

ROB_IOW

ROB_IOW
the two star club
the two star club

One of the many things i want to do while im doing my winter rebuild is rebuild my calipers .

But i'm really srruggling to locate a company who can either do it for me or sell me the kit to do it myself

Come on GTIR GURU'S find me my parts

They are the willwood midilites that were bought on the GTIROC group buy in 2005

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

http://www.rallydesign.co.uk/index.php?manufacturers_id=45&osCsid=6q7fh3t4gikc7qvverojnu0o12

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

And for abit of reading if your intrested rob
http://www.autolifers.com/wilwood-bbk-rebuild/ thumbsup

toaster55

toaster55

i got mine from rally designs. took calipers apart first to see what could be reused to save a bit of cash. ended up changing everything bar 2 pistons

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

Parts are quite cheap.
I would deffo get pistons as not expensive.
Should have a model number on your caliper.
http://www.rallydesign.co.uk/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=midilite+piston&x=0&y=0&osCsid=6q7fh3t4gikc7qvverojnu0o12

houghy_1

ROB_IOW wrote:One of the many things i want to do while im doing my winter rebuild is rebuild my calipers .

But i'm really srruggling to locate a company who can either do it for me or sell me the kit to do it myself

Come on GTIR GURU'S find me my parts

They are the willwood midilites that were bought on the GTIROC group buy in 2005
I'm gonna do exactly the same as you and mine was from.the OC group buy also lol. 
I'd like to know do you need different pistons if I convert my 280 kit to 310??
Only.thinking cos of 24 v 21mm thick discs.

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

I would assume the caliper would still be suitable for that thickness disc as only 1.5mm extra throw per side, also assume caliper is same on both kits but someone might be able confirm that as might RD if give them a call.
I would get prices of all rebuild bits & discs & brackets as may work out better buying whole 310 kit the selling the 280mm kit perhaps !
kit prices seem bit higher than I last remember though :-/

johnny gtir

johnny gtir

Is it bigg red who people use for brake rebuilds and parts

houghy_1

Yeah, I asked them, biggred won't do wilwood's.

houghy_1

Mr B wrote:I would assume the caliper would still be suitable for that thickness disc as only 1.5mm extra throw per side, also assume caliper is same on both kits but someone might be able confirm that as might RD if give them a call.
I would get prices of all rebuild bits & discs & brackets as may work out better buying whole 310 kit the selling the 280mm kit perhaps !
kit prices seem bit higher than I last remember though :-/
 I'd say you'd probably get £300 for a 2nd hand 280 kit and I think the 310 kit is around £850 new with pads so it.would pay to try and get the parts to upgrade the kit yourself. I've been through it a few times...
Rotors £140. Universal bells £135. Universal mounting brackets £35. Approx total £310 plus delivery. 
But that's all a separate thread :-D

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

^ 310 kit is/was about £650 no pads, if gone up much over that better options exist as they not great calipers.
He was planning on rebuild the calipers too so heading to high 300s
Not much in it really, if current discs very good probably sell better as full kit but when new 280 kit around £450 you not going get much 2nd hand unless a1 order .

houghy_1

Yeah that sounds about right. 
The 650 excludes 20% VAT which makes it up to 850 ish 
I've heard it's k sport then wilwood then hi spec in quality order.

johnny gtir

johnny gtir

I disagree i would say ap tarrox  brembo hi spec then willwood then the likes of k sport d2 etc but pads can make a big difference to brakes but depends what your doing with the car the more aggressive the pad the shorter the disc life

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

I would say current Ksport & Hi-Spec better than wilwood .
Quite impressed with ksoprts I handled, not cheap though even here in asia.
Wilwood was good mainly due to price, I had a 310 kit for £680 (no pads), wouldn't pay well over £800 for one, prices seem be much higher than were .
They had red 280 kits on sale @ about £425 all in (no pads) while ago.

houghy_1

johnny gtir wrote:I disagree i would say ap tarrox  brembo hi spec then willwood then the likes of k sport d2 etc but pads can make a big difference to brakes but depends what your doing with the car the more aggressive the pad the shorter the disc life
 Yeah I meant ascending in quality. 
K.sport then wilwood better then hi spec better again. Then obviously brembo, tarot then.AP if cash is no object.

johnny gtir

johnny gtir

Cash should never be a object lol i have won many a race due to out braking rather than power

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

^ AP being an exception to that rule lol ...

johnny gtir

johnny gtir

Your opinion on ap mr B overpriced for what you get ?

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

AP is very good without a doubt but indeed slightly overpriced these days when the manufacturing & tech is more widely matched from other brake manufacturers ...
K-sport here are around £700 for 286 or 304 6 pots, rotor thickness are 26mm & 28mm & can handle serious track abuse without issue, kits come with brake lines too. Most people been very impressed with the braking ability & long term durability. Next time I need R brakes I will be going for K-sport. Have seen these kits in uk for £840 all in which not bad when you have look at them as rotors & calipers are damn good design/quality ...
Wiwoods are good road calipers & light track & thinner disc keeps unsprung weight low but they don't handle prolonged track well & don't age that well ...

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum