Gtir Motorsport club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Gtir Motorsport club

Welcome to the largest Nissan Pulsar & Sunny GTI-R Forum. Masses of info, friendly members, cars for sale, lots of spares. Best forum on the net by far. Everything your gtir needs is here.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Power on the open road.

+6
GTI-R US
toaster55
Hardy172cup
FPSChris
johnny gtir
grim_d
10 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Power on the open road. Empty Power on the open road. 7th September 2014, 7:22 am

grim_d

grim_d

Been driving my R back and fourth to work for a couple of weeks now, and whilst I do love driving it I do find myself yearning for less power, Finding it hard to really wring the car's neck as almost instantly you are well into licence losing territory and speeds which I dare not carry into corners. Anybody else feel this way? I'm really not into things like the traffic light GP or being silly against other cars.

Really think there is something to be said for cars running standard (ish) power, although maybe tweaked for more response and top end. I haven't even bothered turning the boost up since sorting the fuel pump wiring. I enjoy the brutal acceleration when I get a chance but it's over before you know it, If I didn't think I would break it I would get it on the track!

Some of this may be residual confidence knock from stuffing one a few months ago but I can really see myself going for a smaller turbo in the future. Shocked

The R is in my blood but I would be nice to have a little N/A number to fling around.

Thoughts?

2Power on the open road. Empty Re: Power on the open road. 7th September 2014, 7:35 am

johnny gtir

johnny gtir

Sometimes i feel that way. Hondas rev them to get the v tec in but great cars reliable and hold the road. Been around novas etc na stuff before the jap scene been what it is its nice to drive na once in a while on b roads drop a gear red line in red line out of corners.

This been said i had that 2860rs on my car it was close to its limits at 320 bhp and torqe was 318 and christ on the right roads hell of a turbo would never of changed just it could not flow what i needed it to but what a brilliant turbo

3Power on the open road. Empty Re: Power on the open road. 7th September 2014, 7:37 am

FPSChris

FPSChris

Get yourself a daily banger and stick your R on the track.

Providing you're up with maintenance and don't abuse that RPM you'll be fine on the track. No need to go wild which most people think you need to do.
Go have fun and keep it off the limiter, plenty in the R not to hit it.

I feel the same way but I'm lucky to have an awesome drive to work so no matter what car (except the vitara), I enjoy the drive. It's terrifying in the R though so find myself holding back to 100mph max where it's safe enough (legally I may add). Still get people overtaking me Shocked

https://soundcloud.com/fpschris

4Power on the open road. Empty Re: Power on the open road. 7th September 2014, 7:54 am

grim_d

grim_d

johnny gtir wrote:Sometimes i feel that way. Hondas rev them to get the v tec in but great cars reliable and hold the road. Been around novas etc na stuff before the jap scene been what it is its nice to drive na once in a while on b roads drop a gear red line in red line out of corners.

This been said i had that 2860rs on my car it was close to its limits at 320 bhp and torqe was 318 and christ on the right roads hell of a turbo would never of changed just it could not flow what i needed it to but what a brilliant turbo

I think something like a 2860 would be ideal, the 3071 just seems a bit big for what I want from a car most of the time. Good fun though! What turbine housing did you have?

I think when I get around to building up my other R it will be much more tame.

FPSChris wrote:Get yourself a daily banger and stick your R on the track.

Providing you're up with maintenance and don't abuse that RPM you'll be fine on the track. No need to go wild which most people think you need to do.
Go have fun and keep it off the limiter, plenty in the R not to hit it.

I feel the same way but I'm lucky to have an awesome drive to work so no matter what car (except the vitara), I enjoy the drive. It's terrifying in the R though so find myself holding back to 100mph max where it's safe enough (legally I may add). Still get people overtaking me Shocked

I have a banger, or winter car, a 2.0 accord, a bloody great car but underpowered. Unfortunately I just don't have the money or time to track and it's such a waste to have such a great car laid up. My drive to work is on a brilliant A road too and like you say it doesn't matter what you are in, in the wet in the R though...forget it.

5Power on the open road. Empty Re: Power on the open road. 7th September 2014, 8:15 am

Hardy172cup

Hardy172cup
the one star club
the one star club

Get youself something like an old Clio sport, I loved mine because they just love to be abused. I drove mine for years with total disrespect,mi used to absolutely rev the tits off it. It must of spent most of its life in the red line and majority oftht bouncing off the limiter smoking front tyres lol.

Obviously the R is faster and better but when it comes down to some good old fashioned red line abuse you cant beat a good old NA with some kind of veritable cam/valve bullshit going off lol you can pick those Clio sports up for as little as £600 now

6Power on the open road. Empty Re: Power on the open road. 7th September 2014, 8:19 am

grim_d

grim_d

Hardy172cup wrote:Get youself something like an old Clio sport, I loved mine because they just love to be abused. I drove mine for years with total disrespect,mi used to absolutely rev the tits off it. It must of spent most of its life in the red line and majority oftht bouncing off the limiter smoking front tyres lol.

Obviously the R is faster and better but when it comes down to some good old fashioned red line abuse you cant beat a good old NA with some kind of veritable cam/valve bullshit going off lol you can pick those Clio sports up for as little as £600 now

As much as I like the little clio I would not have a 172/182, great cars but made of chocolate and an absolute nightmare to work on. Have done nearly every job imaginable on a mates because it was so bad!

7Power on the open road. Empty Re: Power on the open road. 7th September 2014, 8:28 am

toaster55

toaster55

we used to have a 182 sport clio until some nob drove into the back of it. it was great fun to drive on the roads with its vvt. you could wring the nuts of it and it handled like a go cart. but the misses never revved it over 5 grand and she thought it was quick, lol. i would defiantly have another but all of boy racers have them and fooked them up with shit mod from halfords

8Power on the open road. Empty Re: Power on the open road. 7th September 2014, 8:56 am

Hardy172cup

Hardy172cup
the one star club
the one star club

The clios are a nightmare to wrk on but then so are pulsars and the only thing I found to be made of chocolate was the gearbox and engine casing when I put it in the wrong gear lol, other than that the only real probs I've had was the Cambelt snapping after being done by a moron mechanic and the oil pump going but that was on the same engine the moron worked on and it was stood for 2 years then used for a year before the oil pump went.

I found the engines can really take the abuse and even though they have a bad rep for weak gearboxes by god did I abuse mine and it seemed to take what I threw at it. I would never drive my gtir the way I drove that thing haha

9Power on the open road. Empty Re: Power on the open road. 7th September 2014, 7:58 pm

GTI-R US

GTI-R US
Management
Management

Like you graham I'm not a lover of 3071 on a road car or even track come to that
Far better with a 2860 or 2871r these cars aren't about brute top end speed there about getting round tight twistys as fast as you can that's where the fun is, they simply aren't streamlined enough for fast driving on big circuits although you can still have a lot of fun with them and hand a few asses on a plate lol

I would say if your confidence has been knocked after the last little calamity to get yourself a smaller tubby and flog the 3071r on to someone else
Then maybe do a track day with some tuition which will soon give you your confidence back in yourself and your car Wink

Nissan Performance & Tuning Centre
Services provided

Forge Engine rebuilds to specification
Body Restoration, Fabrication, Repair
Paint refinishing facilities
Ecu re-mapping-Performance upgrades
Auto Diagnostics, Injector cleaning  
Race & Suspension setup
General Servicing, Mots, tyre fitting
Full workshop facilities
http://www.gti-r-us.co.uk www.force500.com

10Power on the open road. Empty Re: Power on the open road. 7th September 2014, 9:52 pm

grim_d

grim_d

Something to look into after I get married next year I think Bob. Response is king for driving on the road. Smaller turbo and mild or standard cams could be on the cards.

It certainly is clear that 350hp is more than enough for me.

11Power on the open road. Empty Re: Power on the open road. 8th September 2014, 8:49 am

keastygtir

This is my goal for mine. About 350 should more than enough for the road and some hill/sprint work. As you say its about getting there.

12Power on the open road. Empty Re: Power on the open road. 8th September 2014, 9:06 am

Gl3nnGTIR

Gl3nnGTIR

Im not sure why but my 3071 spooled so quick, even when i had it mapped he checked it, wether it was the front exit so no restrictions i dont know. But mine was never a daily. You should be able to cut a deal with someone with a 2871 i would of thought that wants more power and you want less so could work out.

13Power on the open road. Empty Re: Power on the open road. 8th September 2014, 9:12 am

GTI-R US

GTI-R US
Management
Management

Gl3nnGTIR wrote:Im not sure why but my 3071 spooled so quick, even when i had it mapped he checked it, wether it was the front exit so no restrictions i dont know. But mine was never a daily. You should be able to cut a deal with someone with a 2871 i would of thought that wants more power and you want less so could work out.

your car was extremely well mapped glenn, certainly one of the best maps ive seen on a gtir as proved on the dyno and mirrored in the drivability of that car
that's why hes one of our chosen mappers if we can get the guy onboard along with another I know of
the mapping is the difference between a fast DRIVABLE car and one with just topend poke, obviously the car has to be right in the first instance with correct stuff fitted and a good engine but then its ALL down to the map that's done that is also a big factor on how long the engine lasts be it forged or stock

http://www.gti-r-us.co.uk www.force500.com

14Power on the open road. Empty Re: Power on the open road. 8th September 2014, 8:21 pm

gtir_pimp

gtir_pimp

Who mapped Glenn's car? Getting mine done tomorrow by jez @ h-dev team

15Power on the open road. Empty Re: Power on the open road. 8th September 2014, 8:52 pm

vvlwezz

My old vvl powered almera gti was awesome on the road, 960kg and 213hp with 8500rpm limit, an absolute hoot, out of all my cars its the one i miss most
Ive actually thought about selling my gtir and building another as i have a ve bottom end here, just needs head (dont we all)

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum