Gtir Motorsport club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Gtir Motorsport club

Welcome to the largest Nissan Pulsar & Sunny GTI-R Forum. Masses of info, friendly members, cars for sale, lots of spares. Best forum on the net by far. Everything your gtir needs is here.

You are not connected. Please login or register

running hot

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1running hot Empty running hot 13th June 2014, 9:23 am

Digitalfaze

Digitalfaze
web admin
web admin

so i bought and fitted a radiator, japspeed alluminium one which is mega thick however it doesnt seem to make any difference to the temps, i assumed a bigger rad would keep the car running cooler than the standard but temp gauge is still sitting at half. have i done something wrong and whats everyone elses temp sit at with bigger rads?

thanks

http://www.avaloncreative.co.uk

2running hot Empty Re: running hot 13th June 2014, 9:27 am

Whytie

Whytie

It should be sitting half way, as the thermostat controls the cooling not the rad

3running hot Empty Re: running hot 13th June 2014, 9:31 am

Whytie

Whytie

If you were doing some hard driving or track days were the temps can rise to hot the bigger rad has the bigger cooling capacity and will help keep the temps still at the half way mark( car operating temp)

4running hot Empty Re: running hot 13th June 2014, 9:49 am

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

Even the standard single core can handle temps fine on a track car.
As pointed out above the thermostat keeps engine at correct temp & that a good thing so at least looks like your guage & thermostat all good, running too cool is not as good as you may think.
If need a rad then going for an aluminium one is not bad idea but no need go super big, just a waste of space, weight & good old money in most cases.

5running hot Empty Re: running hot 13th June 2014, 9:54 am

Whytie

Whytie

The stock rad will do on a track day when running stockish power, a car with a bit if power and stock rad would be lucky to last 2 laps.

6running hot Empty Re: running hot 13th June 2014, 10:11 am

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

different to what i've seen, seen temp log of biggish power track car on stock rad & it coping fine, biggest problem is no one actually tests if it works & many who complain have other issues relating to cooling rather than the rad ...

7running hot Empty Re: running hot 13th June 2014, 10:23 am

Whytie

Whytie

I spent all day on track with my pulsar running stock power, trackday 2 weeks later, new clutch and extra 100bhp and it struggled and overheated. Oil cooler would of helped though.

8running hot Empty Re: running hot 13th June 2014, 10:34 am

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

I'm on similar power, 340ish, standard rad, have oil-cooler, had new pump & over sized pump pulley to help keep pump from chopping water rather than pumping water & my temps are fine & never once been too hot on a track session even on a hot day. Seen a few over the years with no issue on standard rad in good order.

9running hot Empty Re: running hot 13th June 2014, 10:36 am

Whytie

Whytie

Maybe Im faster then you then lol

Oil cooler might of been my downfall

10running hot Empty Re: running hot 13th June 2014, 10:50 am

Digitalfaze

Digitalfaze
web admin
web admin

ok thanks guys, being a noob the box said "cooler running temps" so figured that cant be a bad thing to upgrade to a thicker one, the car is my daily and doesnt really get ragged much so if i knew this i may have just got a standard one :/

replaced stat and radiator for piece of mind Smile

11running hot Empty Re: running hot 13th June 2014, 10:58 am

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

You most probably are :-)
Lot of minor things can contribute to over heating, thermostatic oil-cooler indeed is a big bonus as is under driving the water pump.
Other issues can be shitty thermostats & air flow to rad such as a front mount over some of rad area as then cooling air is already warmed when gets to rad so efficiency reduced. Plus some custom manifolds & downpipe layouts are almost kissing the rad & if not shielded this is a huge amount of heat radiated negatively.
Not a bad thing going for a decent aluminium rad when a change is due but 50+mm cores is overkill for most scenarios.

12running hot Empty Re: running hot 13th June 2014, 1:27 pm

Digitalfaze

Digitalfaze
web admin
web admin

cheers for the help my std one exploded so figured the bigger the better so got a 50mm one Smile will an oil cooler be a benefit to a daily road car running a bar of boost and some light mods, fmic, exhaust etc, thought they were only useful for track cars and high power, i do like the look of an oil cooler though Wink

13running hot Empty Re: running hot 13th June 2014, 1:34 pm

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

Doubt you really need it for your use/spec but fitting one with a thermostat would be ok should you really desire one. Would spend money on good gauges for water & oil with some basic logging features then you can judge if oil cooler really needed or just extra weight/bling.

14running hot Empty Re: running hot 13th June 2014, 7:56 pm

johnny gtir

johnny gtir

I would of went for a different rad mishimoto is a good one for the money straight fit or koyo do a good one but not direct fit I don't think. infact if I had to buy another I would get a custom far better and half the price as your not paying for the name

15running hot Empty Re: running hot 13th June 2014, 8:17 pm

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

Mishimoto are nice but good £200, like you say getting one made to your requirements/spec would be good option & potentially favourable on price too.
for most a decent made alloy rad with quality 30mm core would be perfect.

16running hot Empty Re: running hot 13th June 2014, 8:19 pm

johnny gtir

johnny gtir

goodpost 

17running hot Empty Re: running hot 16th June 2014, 10:42 am

Digitalfaze

Digitalfaze
web admin
web admin

johnny gtir wrote:I would of went for a different rad mishimoto is a good one for the money straight fit or koyo do a good one but not direct fit I don't think. infact if I had to buy another I would get a custom far better and half the price as your not paying for the name

i did look at these but bills and emergency requirement sort decided to go for a cheaper one all be it was still £160 for japspeed one, well atleast its done and working fine then Very Happy

18running hot Empty Re: running hot 17th June 2014, 9:40 pm

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

these could go for/under £100
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NISSAN-PULSAR-SUNNY-TURBO-GTIR-GTI-R-ALUMINIUM-HIGH-FLOW-ALLOY-RACE-RADIATOR-RAD-/121095766673?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item1c31dec291
No idea how good they are ! perhaps someone on here got one & can summarise

19running hot Empty Re: running hot 17th June 2014, 9:52 pm

johnny gtir

johnny gtir

If its the same kind my mate dan bought maybe two year back its just spray painted with a alloy type spray paint

20running hot Empty Re: running hot 18th June 2014, 1:38 pm

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

All feedback on gtir one is + . no comments on any sold alloy rad suggest not alloy but I would assume quality not the greatest but I could be tempted if they accepted offer of £90. would of thought someone from the forum got one of these.

21running hot Empty Re: running hot 18th June 2014, 2:06 pm

Digitalfaze

Digitalfaze
web admin
web admin

Mr B wrote:All feedback on gtir one is + . no comments on any sold alloy rad suggest not alloy but I would assume quality not the greatest but I could be tempted if they accepted offer of £90. would of thought someone from the forum got one of these.

i avoided these ones simply because buy cheap buy twice sort of thing and dont have many good experiences of buying cheap stuff from ebay

22running hot Empty Re: running hot 18th June 2014, 2:21 pm

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

True, i'm not an ebay fan but it not super cheap & if reasonably decent an available/affordable option for people.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum