Gtir Motorsport club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Gtir Motorsport club

Welcome to the largest Nissan Pulsar & Sunny GTI-R Forum. Masses of info, friendly members, cars for sale, lots of spares. Best forum on the net by far. Everything your gtir needs is here.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Bought myself some spare gearboxes

+3
Mr B
Animaldaz
Hardy172cup
7 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Bought myself some spare gearboxes  Empty Bought myself some spare gearboxes 6th March 2014, 7:05 pm

Hardy172cup

Hardy172cup
the one star club
the one star club

I've just bought some gearboxes off eBay, I'm sure some of you must have seen them for sale.
Both boxes are untested so it's a gamble.
One box was listed as spares because the seller said that when he bought it he was told the box needed new bearings, he says the input shaft is rough to turn.
The other box he said the seller assured him it was a fully working box when he bought it but can't actually vouch for the box because he has never actually used it, he said the input shaft is smooth to turn unlike the other box.
There is also a transfer box with them too.

Hopefully the good box will be good and will make a nice spare, I suppose I'll never know what I've bough until I come to use it.
I just hope I haven't just bought a pile of scrap metal  Embarassed lol

Animaldaz

Nice, what did you pay for them?

Hardy172cup

Hardy172cup
the one star club
the one star club

Gave £100 for both and the transfer box but it's going to be £50 postage on top.
If the good box is all ok then I think I've got a good bargain but as I said I've took it as a gamble seeing as they are both untested.

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

Pop the rough one open & have a look, personally would do same for other one as would not waste time fitting an unknown box. For the price you got your money from just spares if all faulty ...

Hardy172cup

Hardy172cup
the one star club
the one star club

That's exactly what I thought, even if they're both not good enough to use at least they will both make good parts donors.
I'll crack them open when I get them and see what I find. When they get here I'll post back with my findings.

Hardy172cup

Hardy172cup
the one star club
the one star club

I might never need them but i thought having a spare box can only be a wise move Very Happy

johnny gtir

johnny gtir

Do you know how to open a gtir box up carefull as one bit has a spring which flys off. Ps i am no expert by far but do your homework before u open it

Hardy172cup

Hardy172cup
the one star club
the one star club

Thanks for the heads up mate lol, I'll look into it online and when i do it I'll get my mate to help me because he's a decent mechanic.

johnny gtir

johnny gtir

Like i say its one part of the car i have changed plenty never opened the box seen someone else and some spring part flew off small ball bearing ended up on floor box no longer useable untill fixed and it was fine before he did that

10Bought myself some spare gearboxes  Empty Re: Bought myself some spare gearboxes 6th March 2014, 8:55 pm

Hardy172cup

Hardy172cup
the one star club
the one star club

Probably best we open the one for spares first then we will have an idea what were doing when it comes to opening the good box

11Bought myself some spare gearboxes  Empty Re: Bought myself some spare gearboxes 7th March 2014, 8:48 am

warpspeed

The second box listed isn't a gtir box, the cutout for the starter is at the front....I messaged the seller to let him know, I think it's for a gt4

12Bought myself some spare gearboxes  Empty Re: Bought myself some spare gearboxes 7th March 2014, 10:39 am

Hardy172cup

Hardy172cup
the one star club
the one star club

Oh dear... I'll message him and find out, he does have a gt4 too because he is selling some wheels from a GT4
I've not actually paid for them yet because he is still to get back to me with postage details.
Maybe it was just a mix up and he stuck the wrong picture up by mistake.
I'll ask him to confirm they are both GTIR boxes before I make payment.

Thanks for pointing that out mate because I hadn't really looked at the pics in detail because I wouldn't know a GTIR box from a GT4 box lol

13Bought myself some spare gearboxes  Empty Re: Bought myself some spare gearboxes 7th March 2014, 12:14 pm

warpspeed

nae bother

14Bought myself some spare gearboxes  Empty Re: Bought myself some spare gearboxes 7th March 2014, 12:24 pm

GTI-R US

GTI-R US
Management
Management

ive seen a gt4 gearbox fitted to an r
theres one in Birmingham at the moment which is running gt4 box with an adaptor plate fitted so may well be worth keeping that as its a far stronger box

and if its any good then is worth much more than a pulsar box anyway even if you decided to sell it on  Wink 

http://www.gti-r-us.co.uk www.force500.com

15Bought myself some spare gearboxes  Empty Re: Bought myself some spare gearboxes 7th March 2014, 1:54 pm

Hardy172cup

Hardy172cup
the one star club
the one star club

Interesting point that bob, cheers for that info.
Might be worth grabbing the gt4 box then even if I just sell it on and try and get some money back.
I'll see what the guy says when he gets back to me.

16Bought myself some spare gearboxes  Empty Re: Bought myself some spare gearboxes 7th March 2014, 3:38 pm

warpspeed

gt4 boxes will take 400hp but the synchro's are the weak point on them

17Bought myself some spare gearboxes  Empty Re: Bought myself some spare gearboxes 7th March 2014, 4:20 pm

GTI-R US

GTI-R US
Management
Management

stock gt4 boxes have run over 600bhp scott as theres one just over the road to my unit and the thing appears to be bulletproof cars putting out 585lbft torque and the guy drives it like he stole it. synchro's are the weak point but they are still strong in comparison to gtir box

also a lot of gt4's came with auto box so manuals are quite sought after and fetch good money

18Bought myself some spare gearboxes  Empty Re: Bought myself some spare gearboxes 7th March 2014, 6:16 pm

johnny gtir

johnny gtir

If it is gt4 and has a adaptor plate let me know please

19Bought myself some spare gearboxes  Empty Re: Bought myself some spare gearboxes 7th March 2014, 6:22 pm

GTI-R US

GTI-R US
Management
Management

I know a guy whos got adaptor plate copy from brum area

fairly easy conversion too so im told

20Bought myself some spare gearboxes  Empty Re: Bought myself some spare gearboxes 7th March 2014, 6:27 pm

johnny gtir

johnny gtir

Would like to know more about this

21Bought myself some spare gearboxes  Empty Re: Bought myself some spare gearboxes 7th March 2014, 6:35 pm

warpspeed

Ah right ok, learn something new every day

22Bought myself some spare gearboxes  Empty Re: Bought myself some spare gearboxes 7th March 2014, 6:40 pm

Hardy172cup

Hardy172cup
the one star club
the one star club

Sounds very interesting this GTIR gt4 gearbox swap. I wonder what the ratios are like in the gt4 box and what the R would be like to drive with that box?

23Bought myself some spare gearboxes  Empty Re: Bought myself some spare gearboxes 7th March 2014, 8:12 pm

the gt4 is popular with mazda 323 gtr's
but have been told the car was a little slower acceleration wise

24Bought myself some spare gearboxes  Empty Re: Bought myself some spare gearboxes 7th March 2014, 8:22 pm

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

Gt4 gear ratio
1 - 3.384
2 - 1.913
3 - 1.258
4 - 0.918
5 -0.731
Reverse - 3.545

Final drive - 4.285

Last edited by nomad on 7th March 2014, 8:25 pm; edited 1 time in total

25Bought myself some spare gearboxes  Empty Re: Bought myself some spare gearboxes 7th March 2014, 8:25 pm

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

Pulsar gtir 
Gear ratio 
1st: 3.285
2nd:1.850
3rd: 1.272
4th: 0.954
5th: 0.740
Rev: 3.266