Gtir Motorsport club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Gtir Motorsport club

Welcome to the largest Nissan Pulsar & Sunny GTI-R Forum. Masses of info, friendly members, cars for sale, lots of spares. Best forum on the net by far. Everything your gtir needs is here.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Rear LSD?

+3
Animaldaz
Digitalfaze
Hardy172cup
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Rear LSD? Empty Rear LSD? 22nd September 2013, 2:19 pm

Hardy172cup

Hardy172cup
the one star club
the one star club

I have just picked up a rear diff and drive shafts for £25 from a lad near me. I just bought it for spares seeing as it was only £25.

Just wondered how i would know if it was a limited slip diff?
I doubt that it is but would be realy nice if I had dropped lucky and scored an LSD for £25 lol

2Rear LSD? Empty Re: Rear LSD? 22nd September 2013, 3:52 pm

Digitalfaze

Digitalfaze
web admin
web admin

try plugging the driveshafts in turn them if the other moves in the same direction it is an LSD. If it rotates the opposite way, it is an open differential.

something like that...

http://www.avaloncreative.co.uk

3Rear LSD? Empty Re: Rear LSD? 22nd September 2013, 6:48 pm

Animaldaz

Lsd is standard on the rear axle

4Rear LSD? Empty Re: Rear LSD? 23rd September 2013, 12:55 am

Hardy172cup

Hardy172cup
the one star club
the one star club

Oh right lol, I'm just getting confused, I thought the ra had an open diff and the rb had a limited slip diff but I must be getting things all mixed up.
Do all gtir's have a rear LSD as standard then?

5Rear LSD? Empty Re: Rear LSD? 23rd September 2013, 8:35 am

knights of nee

Hardy172cup wrote:
Do all gtir's have a rear LSD as standard then?
Yes it's the front that is normally an open diff, I fitted a phantom grip in the front on my last car and the one I'm having built at the moment, Changing the centre diff apparently makes a real difference.

The rear is a viscos LSD on all GTI-R's.

Rob

6Rear LSD? Empty Re: Rear LSD? 23rd September 2013, 9:26 am

GTI-R US

GTI-R US
Management
Management

that's wromg actually the rear diff is not viscous on all gtir's as weve had 3 plated rear diffs in the past which were available on some models

easy way to check is by trying to turn the driveshafts against each other, on a plated diff you will struggle to do this with your hands where as a viscous diff you will be able to turn much easier.
if still in doubt the rear driveshafts are different where they enter the diff to standard viscous shafts.
if still in doubt remove the endcase of the diff and you will see plates inside as opposed to the viscous diff.
also when you drive a car with plated rear diff it will grab and snatch on hard lock which feels as though theres something wrong with it but in fact its quite normal as its just the plates holding then slipping against each other

if that is a plated rear diff youll be able to flog that for between £5-600
if your not sure remove bolts to endcase and stick a pic up and il soon tell you, there quite a rarity

http://www.gti-r-us.co.uk www.force500.com

7Rear LSD? Empty Re: Rear LSD? 23rd September 2013, 9:35 am

knights of nee

What I should of said was all standard GTI-R's should have a viscose diff fitted at the rear, I'm aware that some have the plated diff fitted but that is an option apposed to the norm. I think my old RB had front and rear plated diffs going by the way it drove, Shame it ended up in the scrap yard.

I don't really like plated diffs personally I think they ruin a road car, That's why I like the phantom grip in the front it works great but still drives nicely when trying to park or manoeuvre in tight places.

Rob

8Rear LSD? Empty Re: Rear LSD? 23rd September 2013, 9:37 am

GTI-R US

GTI-R US
Management
Management

yep agreed I hate the plated rear diffs also on a road car, there annoying, noisy and make normal driving bloody horrible

9Rear LSD? Empty Re: Rear LSD? 23rd September 2013, 9:40 am

Hardy172cup

Hardy172cup
the one star club
the one star club

Cheers bob thanks for the advice, I will go take a look at it when I get the chance. I did try to turn the drive shafts against each other by hand and I couldn't turn them against each other for shit, but I'm only small and ive got a broken arm so perhaps I'm just a weakling lol ill whip the end case off and check it out Smile

If it is a rear plated diff I might flog it if it ruins the ride of a road car but on the other hand it might be worth keeping incase I decide to use the car for more track days and events etc. anyway I'm getting ahead of myself, I best find out what diff it is first lol

10Rear LSD? Empty Re: Rear LSD? 23rd September 2013, 9:47 am

GTI-R US

GTI-R US
Management
Management

yeah take a pic of it and il tell you.
if it is then flog it bill as it wont make you any faster on a circuit, you would be better off to use the money on a big set of stoppers or other worth while upgrades

11Rear LSD? Empty Re: Rear LSD? 23rd September 2013, 9:59 am

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

So in effect the plated diffs are like a welded diff .....sound bloody awful  trying to park  as they sorta sound like its snatching ? ..... so is this better on road driving over a standard rear diff ?

12Rear LSD? Empty Re: Rear LSD? 23rd September 2013, 10:05 am

GTI-R US

GTI-R US
Management
Management

no there awfull otr and I don't even like them on a circuit which is why I flogged mine a while back.
great for rallying and short tight sprint circuits but that's about it

13Rear LSD? Empty Re: Rear LSD? 23rd September 2013, 10:14 am

Hardy172cup

Hardy172cup
the one star club
the one star club

Well I just found a sticker on the diff that says VISCOUS LSD so i suppose that answeres the question of what type of diff it is, I thought I had dropped lucky for a moment there and stumbled across a rare part Sad lol

oh well £25 for a rear diff sounds cheep to me so I'm happy with my purchase especially considering my rear diff and drive shafts are oily so my rear diff may be leaking

14Rear LSD? Empty Re: Rear LSD? 23rd September 2013, 10:19 am

GTI-R US

GTI-R US
Management
Management

they all say that or some have nismo written on them.............means nothing, just undo the endplate and take a pic

15Rear LSD? Empty Re: Rear LSD? 23rd September 2013, 11:11 am

Hardy172cup

Hardy172cup
the one star club
the one star club

Well I got the end plate off but I haven't got a camera handy (I don't have a smart phone lol) I'll get a pic uploaded later.

It looks pretty viscous to me but I'm not actually sure what I'm looking at so I'll get a pic later

16Rear LSD? Empty Re: Rear LSD? 23rd September 2013, 12:07 pm

fred05

fred05
french connection
french connection

Shocked you don't have a smartphone....and you drive a pulsar...what sort of guy are you!!!!!?????!!!!! ah ah

17Rear LSD? Empty Re: Rear LSD? 23rd September 2013, 1:45 pm

Hardy172cup

Hardy172cup
the one star club
the one star club

fred05 wrote:Shocked you don't have a smartphone....and you drive a pulsar...what sort of guy are you!!!!!?????!!!!! ah ah
Haha you could say I'm stuck in the 90's Very Happy 

18Rear LSD? Empty Re: Rear LSD? 25th September 2013, 12:04 am

Hardy172cup

Hardy172cup
the one star club
the one star club

Here's the pic of inside the diff with the end plate off.

Rear LSD? 7c4f540795e033f65a1e3370d06f9203

I'm guessing it's just a regular gtir diff but I thought I'd put the pic up to make sure

19Rear LSD? Empty Re: Rear LSD? 25th September 2013, 10:47 am

GTI-R US

GTI-R US
Management
Management

yep sorry to disappoint bill but your correct

20Rear LSD? Empty Re: Rear LSD? 25th September 2013, 11:27 am

Hardy172cup

Hardy172cup
the one star club
the one star club

Oh well lol, it was worth a check.

I think £25 for a non leaking diff is still good money considering my diff looks like it may have a leak lol.

Would of been nice if it was a plated diff so I could of flogged it for big money to put towards my engine build or some big breaks Laughing 

21Rear LSD? Empty Re: Rear LSD? 25th September 2013, 11:51 am

GTI-R US

GTI-R US
Management
Management

you've already had one big break bill, I saw the bandage Laughing 

22Rear LSD? Empty Re: Rear LSD? 25th September 2013, 7:22 pm

Hardy172cup

Hardy172cup
the one star club
the one star club

lol!  I meen big brakes not breaks lol I think I've had enough big breaks for one life time Laughing 

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum