Gtir Motorsport club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Gtir Motorsport club

Welcome to the largest Nissan Pulsar & Sunny GTI-R Forum. Masses of info, friendly members, cars for sale, lots of spares. Best forum on the net by far. Everything your gtir needs is here.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Heavy Clutch Pedal and Judder

+5
Digitalfaze
Chris1
GTI-R US
Stu
apalmer
9 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Heavy Clutch Pedal and Judder Empty Heavy Clutch Pedal and Judder 11th March 2012, 9:09 am

apalmer

apalmer

All

What's your experience with clutch judder been on the Pulsar? I've had an Exedy organic in for about a year, very little driving in that time mainly because since fitting it the experience has been awful. The engagement of the clutch at low speed of pull away shakes the car violently i have to give the thing loads of revs in order to make a smooth pull away.

I bought the clutch of the bay so i'm thinking it might have been a hooky one.

Any thoughts?
-a

2Heavy Clutch Pedal and Judder Empty Re: Heavy Clutch Pedal and Judder 11th March 2012, 9:24 am

Stu

Stu
Admin
Admin

Is it a paddle clutch? I've had an ap paddle clutch before and that was on off clutching with that, no riding the clutch it was either on or off and you had to bring the revs up higher to pull off than normal.

http://www.j10-meets.co.uk

3Heavy Clutch Pedal and Judder Empty Re: Heavy Clutch Pedal and Judder 11th March 2012, 6:19 pm

GTI-R US

GTI-R US
Management
Management

it could possibly be a fake one youve fitted, some of them are real crap.
a good new clutch will cost you in excess of £300 if its a genuine unit.
also when it was fitted did you fit it yourself
could be a few things causing it like:
input shaft left hanging on driveplate on installation
weak springs in driveplate
oil on driveplate
badly worn flywheel (blueing)
pressure plate not torqued up correctly
damaged clutch release fork or bearing

http://www.gti-r-us.co.uk www.force500.com

4Heavy Clutch Pedal and Judder Empty Re: Heavy Clutch Pedal and Judder 11th March 2012, 6:51 pm

apalmer

apalmer

Thanks - damn that's a long list.

Fitted at fusion in surrey, to be honest, it has done it since picking the car up but only owning the car for about 6 months prior and not fitting an organic disk type clutch before i was unsure as to whether the behaviour was to be expected. It feels like a paddle clutch on engagement, there is no way to engage smoothly at low revs without the car shaking its socks off - it's spoiling the drive to say the least. Im also sure that it has gotten worse..

Im hearing the general consensus is:

fork
slave
poor clutch

I can't remember for the life of me where i bought it from, i checked my bAY history and it only stretches to 2010 and i have a feeling i bought it just before this so can't be totally sure. I'm sure it was the bAY - i learned yesterday that Exedy don't sell through the bAY at all..... sigh...

Okily - before i buy a new clutch and drop the engine out, for the fork, slave and any other pre checks, what can i look for before getting involved in the inevitable?

cheers
ad

5Heavy Clutch Pedal and Judder Empty Re: Heavy Clutch Pedal and Judder 14th March 2012, 12:49 pm

Chris1

Chris1

Hmmmmm that sounds awfully familiar....

I've got an Excedy clutch in mine and I've got the same issue.
It doesn't like pottering around town, pants from a stand still and its a bitch in traffic.
I thought at first something was wrong but then I thought perhaps its just down to the aggressive nature of the clutch.
So I've recently just grown a pair of balls and got on with having a car with a grumpy angry aggressive clutch.
Obviously if it explodes into a million pieces I might reconsider my opinion, so keep this thread up to date with your findings fella cause I'm keen to find out if there is indeed an issue.

Chris.

6Heavy Clutch Pedal and Judder Empty Re: Heavy Clutch Pedal and Judder 14th March 2012, 1:40 pm

Digitalfaze

Digitalfaze
web admin
web admin

kinda same problem here just fitted an exedy organic clutch literally 230miles ago, get slight judder but it has died down since i first fitted, no problems in traffic but i did think it slipped slightly today but cant be sure.

im positive its a genuine clutch as i paid £280 for the kit and all the boxes are branded up with exedy logos etc and clutch itself has exedy logo printed and generally looks a good quality piece of kit.

seems a google search brings alot of people with the same juddering problem with these clutches

http://www.avaloncreative.co.uk

7Heavy Clutch Pedal and Judder Empty Re: Heavy Clutch Pedal and Judder 14th March 2012, 2:43 pm

danr

danr

your clutch fluid gone down? could be damaged slave cylinder, mine is similar atm. but i know slave is very slightly leaking (can see faint line of fluid over bell).
uprated clutch will pull these things apart afaik. or bend fork if not uprated. especially if slip a change on boost.

8Heavy Clutch Pedal and Judder Empty Re: Heavy Clutch Pedal and Judder 14th March 2012, 3:09 pm

Digitalfaze

Digitalfaze
web admin
web admin

danr wrote:your clutch fluid gone down? could be damaged slave cylinder, mine is similar atm. but i know slave is very slightly leaking (can see faint line of fluid over bell).
uprated clutch will pull these things apart afaik. or bend fork if not uprated. especially if slip a change on boost.

but these clutches are only an oem replacement so surely cant cause much damage on other parts?

9Heavy Clutch Pedal and Judder Empty Re: Heavy Clutch Pedal and Judder 14th March 2012, 3:54 pm

danr

danr

/away from brain atm ...

Last edited by danr on 14th March 2012, 5:39 pm; edited 1 time in total

10Heavy Clutch Pedal and Judder Empty Re: Heavy Clutch Pedal and Judder 14th March 2012, 4:39 pm

Welling_AL

Welling_AL

Hope you get it sorted Mr Palmer - I'll bell you soon - see how you getting on !

Out of interest - it seems a fair few of you have Excedy units - why is this ?
Are they the most popular ?
I seem to recall back in the day Helix was the talk of the town !
I have an AP (fast road) fitted by the previous owner before i got the car - seems to have held 8 years and a few trips to Pod.
Views ?

AL

11Heavy Clutch Pedal and Judder Empty Re: Heavy Clutch Pedal and Judder 14th March 2012, 5:39 pm

danr

danr

oops i have helix Rolling Eyes please ignore me lol

12Heavy Clutch Pedal and Judder Empty Re: Heavy Clutch Pedal and Judder 14th March 2012, 7:12 pm

Digitalfaze

Digitalfaze
web admin
web admin

i didnt really have the budget for a helix at the time my clutch failed, i have an exedy in my honda and its never let me down so figured it should have been good enough for the gti-r, saying that the drive home i didnt notice much judder so i think its finally bedding in.

goodf luck palmer hope you get to the bottom of it

13Heavy Clutch Pedal and Judder Empty Re: Heavy Clutch Pedal and Judder 14th March 2012, 8:45 pm

richpulsar

richpulsar

Im on the road to putting a new clutch in mine soon, its running a bar boost and bob got me a standard clutch to put in was thinking about an exedy but didnt as bob is confident in the standard clutch:)

14Heavy Clutch Pedal and Judder Empty Re: Heavy Clutch Pedal and Judder 14th March 2012, 8:51 pm

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

are you staying at a bar of boost then rich ???

15Heavy Clutch Pedal and Judder Empty Re: Heavy Clutch Pedal and Judder 14th March 2012, 8:56 pm

richpulsar

richpulsar

yea not got any mod plans just yet but might in the future (money permitting)

16Heavy Clutch Pedal and Judder Empty Re: Heavy Clutch Pedal and Judder 14th March 2012, 9:38 pm

Digitalfaze

Digitalfaze
web admin
web admin

standard clutch ok for 1 bar boost?

17Heavy Clutch Pedal and Judder Empty Re: Heavy Clutch Pedal and Judder 15th March 2012, 9:07 am

apalmer

apalmer

Strange - before the car was mapped the guy before me fitted a boost controller and was running the car at about 1 - 1.2, the clutch was slipping at anything above wastegate pressure so i naturally thought the clutch needed doing. It turns out though that the clutch really didn't have that much wear on it when it got taken out and it was an oem unit.

I haven't got any leaking on the slave that i have noticed, the master cylinder was f..ked a little while back, i had to replace the piston and seal in it and the fluid level hasn't change since. I'll have a look at it this weekend and see if i can see anything obvious.

Anyone know how to inspect the clutch fork i.e. what to look for?

-a

18Heavy Clutch Pedal and Judder Empty Re: Heavy Clutch Pedal and Judder 15th March 2012, 9:15 am

Stu

Stu
Admin
Admin

change the clutch fluid.

where the clutch fork goes through the bell housing, shine a torch to see if the fork is bent or to see if you can see if the pivit has pushed through the fork.

19Heavy Clutch Pedal and Judder Empty Re: Heavy Clutch Pedal and Judder 15th March 2012, 9:18 am

apalmer

apalmer

Nice one - is this an on-jack job?

20Heavy Clutch Pedal and Judder Empty Re: Heavy Clutch Pedal and Judder 15th March 2012, 9:23 am

Stu

Stu
Admin
Admin

No mate.

pop the bonnet open and look where the slave meets the fork, then look down the fork and you will see where it goes through the bell housing.

21Heavy Clutch Pedal and Judder Empty Re: Heavy Clutch Pedal and Judder 15th March 2012, 9:26 am

apalmer

apalmer

Cheers Stu ;-)

22Heavy Clutch Pedal and Judder Empty Re: Heavy Clutch Pedal and Judder 15th March 2012, 6:24 pm

richpulsar

richpulsar

Digitalfaze wrote:standard clutch ok for 1 bar boost?

bob says it should handle 1bar, I'll run with his knowledge as he knows what hes talking about:)

23Heavy Clutch Pedal and Judder Empty Re: Heavy Clutch Pedal and Judder 15th March 2012, 9:59 pm

GTI-R US

GTI-R US
Management
Management

yep a new or good s/h one will hold a bar but not much more, deffo not 1.2 bar as i found out recently lol

24Heavy Clutch Pedal and Judder Empty Re: Heavy Clutch Pedal and Judder 18th March 2012, 4:49 pm

apalmer

apalmer

So clutch fork and pivot-ball look to be in good condition from what i could tell, the boot is still on the fork and the slave cylinder seems fine. I gave the system a good flush through with dot 5.1 and took it for a drive - it's much much better, feels almost as oem should but with obvious heavier pedal.

How strange, i must have had a sh*t load of air in the system!

25Heavy Clutch Pedal and Judder Empty Re: Heavy Clutch Pedal and Judder 18th March 2012, 7:56 pm

GTI-R US

GTI-R US
Management
Management

thats strange as the fluid shouldnt make any difference to the clutch slipping (unless it was dripping onto the plate) it will normally only give gear engagement probs if the fluids low or contaminated in any way.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum