Gtir Motorsport club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Gtir Motorsport club

Welcome to the largest Nissan Pulsar & Sunny GTI-R Forum. Masses of info, friendly members, cars for sale, lots of spares. Best forum on the net by far. Everything your gtir needs is here.

You are not connected. Please login or register

wheel spacers

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1wheel spacers Empty wheel spacers 16th February 2013, 6:43 pm

TurboTom

Looking at getting some wheel spacers (probably 20mm?) all round for my car as my wheels are slightly lost in the arches at the moment, does anyone else use them? would i have to change the torque setting of the nuts holding the wheels on or anything like that? longer wheels bolt threads?
cheers

2wheel spacers Empty Re: wheel spacers 16th February 2013, 6:53 pm

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

I cant remember who on here got bigger wheel spacers but bought bigger wheel studs off ebay to accomadate the spacers maybe it was colin ....

3wheel spacers Empty Re: wheel spacers 16th February 2013, 8:24 pm

Digitalfaze

Digitalfaze
web admin
web admin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNZhLb_wWhk

try these ones, might be too large, im looking into them if i decide to wide arch my r, dunno if its good for you bearings etc though

http://www.avaloncreative.co.uk

4wheel spacers Empty Re: wheel spacers 16th February 2013, 8:31 pm

pulsarmoley

pulsarmoley

Also affects how the suspension works i believe

5wheel spacers Empty Re: wheel spacers 16th February 2013, 9:00 pm

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

Are they not hubcentric style spacers ....

6wheel spacers Empty Re: wheel spacers 16th February 2013, 10:18 pm

pulsarmoley

pulsarmoley

What i mean is that by moving the wheel out the suspension is under slightly more pressure as the leverage force is increased due to the increased distance the force acts on the suspension. Hope what ive put makes sense? Suspect
Or if someone else can simplify it Razz

7wheel spacers Empty Re: wheel spacers 16th February 2013, 11:13 pm

Digitalfaze

Digitalfaze
web admin
web admin

pulsarmoley wrote:What i mean is that by moving the wheel out the suspension is under slightly more pressure as the leverage force is increased due to the increased distance the force acts on the suspension. Hope what ive put makes sense? Suspect

so in effect hard cornering can cause the arches to scrape, makes sense

http://www.avaloncreative.co.uk

8wheel spacers Empty Re: wheel spacers 16th February 2013, 11:52 pm

pulsarmoley

pulsarmoley

Digitalfaze wrote:
pulsarmoley wrote:What i mean is that by moving the wheel out the suspension is under slightly more pressure as the leverage force is increased due to the increased distance the force acts on the suspension. Hope what ive put makes sense? Suspect

so in effect hard cornering can cause the arches to scrape, makes sense

This is a possibility so to counteract the effects of the spacers you would need to stiffen the suspension slightly more.
From what i have read, 5-10mm isnt really noticable but going 20-25mm is?

9wheel spacers Empty Re: wheel spacers 17th February 2013, 1:06 am

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

When you say stiffen the suspension how do you mean .... by bushes like wishbone or strut wise like top end ...?

10wheel spacers Empty Re: wheel spacers 17th February 2013, 1:11 am

pulsarmoley

pulsarmoley

I mean that you would have to stiffen the springs/adjust preload?
Not very good at explaining things but here goes: Imagine a seesaw with a spring placed equally from the centre out on each side, in theory its an upside down car suspension(minus roll bars etc). If you sit a foot away on one side it goes down by a set amount; the body roll/lean experienced when cornering. By shifting your ass along a couple of inches it will compress the spring fractionally more which is the same as spacing the wheel. To stop the extra compression you would have to set the spring at a stiffer rate(or lighten the car).

If any clever person is reading this and im wrong put me straight confused

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum