Gtir Motorsport club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Gtir Motorsport club

Welcome to the largest Nissan Pulsar & Sunny GTI-R Forum. Masses of info, friendly members, cars for sale, lots of spares. Best forum on the net by far. Everything your gtir needs is here.

You are not connected. Please login or register

briefly lost 1st and 2nd tonight

+5
splmum
Cosmic73
pulsarmoley
PartyPete
ROB_IOW
9 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1briefly lost 1st and 2nd tonight Empty briefly lost 1st and 2nd tonight 14th December 2016, 7:58 pm

ROB_IOW

ROB_IOW
the two star club
the two star club

Advice needed ..

I briefly  lost 1st and 2nd today .

Been out done about 30 miles I've been driving gently. I came to a stop couldn't get 1st or 2nd .

It felt like 3rd was where 1st should be
I had  3rd 4th 5th and Reverse

I set off in 3rd drove about 500ft and tried 2nd
And it went in to 2nd fine
Then I  tried 1st and all is well .  

All gears appear fine now
Anything I can check

Anybody any ideas ?

2briefly lost 1st and 2nd tonight Empty Re: briefly lost 1st and 2nd tonight 14th December 2016, 8:11 pm

PartyPete

PartyPete
the one star club
the one star club

im waiting till cosmic or mr b has a guess as would interested to see what they say, but possible selector issue.....just a guess! Every time I've lost 1st and 2nd has been through breaking gears or synchro teethsmd getting debris lodged in places thus stopping me selecting gears! Strange how it's now fine scratch

3briefly lost 1st and 2nd tonight Empty Re: briefly lost 1st and 2nd tonight 14th December 2016, 8:47 pm

ROB_IOW

ROB_IOW
the two star club
the two star club

Yeah i thought oh shit ..
Box was rebuilt fully a few years ago by a very reputable gearbox builder .
At a cost of about £800  
And it gets a very easy life

4briefly lost 1st and 2nd tonight Empty Re: briefly lost 1st and 2nd tonight 14th December 2016, 10:07 pm

pulsarmoley

pulsarmoley

Well my guess would be a worn bush in the selector linkage...

5briefly lost 1st and 2nd tonight Empty Re: briefly lost 1st and 2nd tonight 14th December 2016, 10:59 pm

Cosmic73

Cosmic73

Like Pulsarmoley says it Sounds like it might be a linkage issue,
If it was gearbox issue you'd probably hear some serious grinding while shifting in those gears.
Very Happy

6briefly lost 1st and 2nd tonight Empty Re: briefly lost 1st and 2nd tonight 15th December 2016, 1:20 am

splmum

splmum

pulsarmoley wrote:Well my guess would be a worn bush in the selector linkage...
My guess as well.
A sloppy or worn bush will make a lot of difference in selecting 1 and 2.

7briefly lost 1st and 2nd tonight Empty Re: briefly lost 1st and 2nd tonight 15th December 2016, 7:05 am

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

Worse case scenario would be internal selector mechanism, synchro hub  such as springs in hub.
Could be worth draining just to check for debris but like cosmic points out would expect noise if serious
Shift rod and  support bushings does seem likely and most if original are way past their best .
Mr guest was selling poly support rod bushing, the rubber mount bracket can be converted to solid or solid with small Poly bush which make stick feel way more precise .

8briefly lost 1st and 2nd tonight Empty Re: briefly lost 1st and 2nd tonight 15th December 2016, 8:05 am

ROB_IOW

ROB_IOW
the two star club
the two star club

Does anyone have a pic of the affected bush .
So I can throw my head underneath and have a look

9briefly lost 1st and 2nd tonight Empty Re: briefly lost 1st and 2nd tonight 15th December 2016, 8:25 am

johnny gtir

johnny gtir

I was going to say seen where the bolt is slack on linkage or nut on stabilizer makes selection crazy. Also check the little spring. Should nearly be able to tell all the above with engine off and moving the gear stick tho mate

10briefly lost 1st and 2nd tonight Empty Re: briefly lost 1st and 2nd tonight 15th December 2016, 8:31 am

splmum

splmum

this might help
http://nissan4u.com/parts/sunny/er_n14/1990_11/type_23/power_train/transmission_control_and_linkage/illustration_1/

11briefly lost 1st and 2nd tonight Empty Re: briefly lost 1st and 2nd tonight 15th December 2016, 4:39 pm

ROB_IOW

ROB_IOW
the two star club
the two star club

Jacked it up .. felt all the bushes etc . All nice and tight with no play or slop .. everything tight .

So took it for a drive .
I've done about 10 miles and no problem getting any gears .

12briefly lost 1st and 2nd tonight Empty Re: briefly lost 1st and 2nd tonight 15th December 2016, 5:25 pm

johnny gtir

johnny gtir

Something snaped a bit off in the box and temp jamed gears moved about now so all gears working but box needs oil dropped checked for early indication before anymore long term damage occurs or it floats in box and jams again and trashes gears and box. Not sure exactully where magnet is in box. ( tempted to say part of say a selector fork but I am no expert on internals)

13briefly lost 1st and 2nd tonight Empty Re: briefly lost 1st and 2nd tonight 15th December 2016, 7:08 pm

Cosmic73

Cosmic73

That would be the next thing on my list too, but bear in mind particles might have latched onto the magnet and won't be visible.
All you can do is see how it goes and fingers crossed it doesnt happen again.

14briefly lost 1st and 2nd tonight Empty Re: briefly lost 1st and 2nd tonight 15th December 2016, 8:39 pm

mc_hawkings24

What about pressure plate not fully engaging? I had problems and could only get gears with engine off but once running i couldn't get 1st so i had to go through a few gears until i got one but driving along i could get gears fine. Took the clutch out and release bearing inprint on the fingers shows it was pressing off center.

15briefly lost 1st and 2nd tonight Empty Re: briefly lost 1st and 2nd tonight 16th December 2016, 12:02 am

GTI-R US

GTI-R US
Management
Management

First thing to check is the indent spring on 3rd 4th selector rod as sometimes the spring gets weak and you can find that the ball bearing does not engage detent on selector rod fully, so when you disengage 3rd in actual fact it is not disengaged at all so when you go to select lets say 2nd it cant do it as 3rd is still engaged as its jumped the detent on rod.

Easy fix and your lucky no damage has been caused by trying to crunch gear into 2nd or 1st which you obviously havent done

If you dont know what i mean give me a buzz tomorrow and i will explain what you need to do as not on here much at the mo

http://www.gti-r-us.co.uk www.force500.com

16briefly lost 1st and 2nd tonight Empty Re: briefly lost 1st and 2nd tonight 16th December 2016, 7:13 am

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

Good tip from Bob, easy check and springs/balls cheap if want bang in new., Wouldn't hurt just doing them anyway .

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum