Gtir Motorsport club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Gtir Motorsport club

Welcome to the largest Nissan Pulsar & Sunny GTI-R Forum. Masses of info, friendly members, cars for sale, lots of spares. Best forum on the net by far. Everything your gtir needs is here.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Lost 3rd gear tonight :(

+10
nomad
pulsarmoley
Mr B
Digitalfaze
Greygtir
GTI-R US
BEBB GTIR
buckym120
Stu
Gaz GTiR
14 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 3]

1Lost 3rd gear tonight :( Empty Lost 3rd gear tonight :( 14th September 2013, 1:22 am

Gaz GTiR

Gaz GTiR

Lost 3rd tonight, driving sensible aswell Rolling Eyes  Went to turn left into a junction & went down in to 3rd, next thing the whole car started shaking & a horrible grinding noise! Thing is it still drives in 3rd ok but grinds & crunches as I put it in to 3rd!
So im thinking weather the syncro has collapsed? I don't know as I don't understand gearboxes. But what ever it is its gearbox of job & also an RB so like hens teeth to get parts! Evil or Very Mad 

GUTTED isn't the word, She's been such a good car to me aswell over the past 4 years Evil or Very Mad

2Lost 3rd gear tonight :( Empty Re: Lost 3rd gear tonight :( 14th September 2013, 5:23 am

Stu

Stu
Admin
Admin

Here's the time that will test how much you love a Gtir Wink

Love hate relationship now has true meaning!

Drop the fluid like I said mate and see if there's any signs of metal.
There are magnets inside the box so they should catch most if anything. But you should still see something if any things happened.

Let me know if you need that lead Wink

http://www.j10-meets.co.uk

3Lost 3rd gear tonight :( Empty Re: Lost 3rd gear tonight :( 14th September 2013, 6:00 am

buckym120

buckym120

Not good mate sorry to hear that, hope it's an easy fix

4Lost 3rd gear tonight :( Empty Re: Lost 3rd gear tonight :( 14th September 2013, 7:31 am

BEBB GTIR

BEBB GTIR
the one star club
the one star club

gutted mate, but just think it can always be worse???

5Lost 3rd gear tonight :( Empty Re: Lost 3rd gear tonight :( 14th September 2013, 9:42 am

GTI-R US

GTI-R US
Management
Management

yes that's always the prob with rb boxes gaz, fine when there running but a mare when they break trying to get the bits.
I wouldn't be surprised if its broke a tooth or two so don't use it any more until or youll end up breaking more gears and writing the box off altogether.

im selling my rb box and plastic box of spares to ginga russ on here, if you send scrim r a pm on this forum (that's russ's mate) as russ aint on forums much, he may sell you parts you need from the box of spares I have.

personally though I would fit a stock box back on it if I were you

http://www.gti-r-us.co.uk www.force500.com

6Lost 3rd gear tonight :( Empty Re: Lost 3rd gear tonight :( 14th September 2013, 11:00 am

Stu

Stu
Admin
Admin

That's the lead I had for you Gaz lol Russ bought an RB box off me years back as spares.

7Lost 3rd gear tonight :( Empty Re: Lost 3rd gear tonight :( 14th September 2013, 11:42 am

Gaz GTiR

Gaz GTiR

Not even thought about what in going to do yet? It will prob be next year when i sort it as i need to save some cash up. & car is going away for winter now!

Shame tho as i quite like the rb now im used to it, so when i strip it ill see whats wrong & have a cchat with scrim r.

8Lost 3rd gear tonight :( Empty Re: Lost 3rd gear tonight :( 14th September 2013, 12:03 pm

Greygtir

Bad news mate. Take the box of before u put it away for winter thou !!! Or u wont get rounf to it and it will be summer before u know it

9Lost 3rd gear tonight :( Empty Re: Lost 3rd gear tonight :( 14th September 2013, 12:54 pm

Gaz GTiR

Gaz GTiR

Yeh I just don't feel confident enough doing it myself! So need to save some money & find someone to help me do it whos done it before.

Also how much is a RB box worth with 3rd gear gone? Coz if its going to cost to much to fix then the sale of the box may fund a standard box!

10Lost 3rd gear tonight :( Empty Re: Lost 3rd gear tonight :( 14th September 2013, 1:57 pm

GTI-R US

GTI-R US
Management
Management

russ's box has done 3rd also which is why he wants to buy mine
im not sure what spares I have in the plastic box as never looked but its basically most of the stuff from a broken rb box but not sure what it was that actually broke as I just bought the whole lot

11Lost 3rd gear tonight :( Empty Re: Lost 3rd gear tonight :( 14th September 2013, 2:16 pm

Gaz GTiR

Gaz GTiR

Ok im going to get the box off with Stu at some point as he's kindly offerd to help me Smile So we'll strip it & see where the fault lies & see whats in that box of goodies Smile

12Lost 3rd gear tonight :( Empty Re: Lost 3rd gear tonight :( 14th September 2013, 2:18 pm

Digitalfaze

Digitalfaze
web admin
web admin

maybe get some stronger gears in there? dunno how much that shit costs though lol

http://www.avaloncreative.co.uk

13Lost 3rd gear tonight :( Empty Re: Lost 3rd gear tonight :( 14th September 2013, 2:20 pm

Gaz GTiR

Gaz GTiR

mega money lol

14Lost 3rd gear tonight :( Empty Re: Lost 3rd gear tonight :( 14th September 2013, 2:22 pm

Stu

Stu
Admin
Admin

Thinking about it. I think it was olly that bought the box off me. It's been a while.
Olly sold his grey Gtir didn't he? Full roll cage etc
The RB box he bought off me had lost 5th gear.

15Lost 3rd gear tonight :( Empty Re: Lost 3rd gear tonight :( 14th September 2013, 3:49 pm

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

One thing worth having a good spare is the gearbox, prices have gone up & harder to find good known low mileage boxes these days ...
Grab whatever you can, so if a good enough standard box comes along take it, then keep eye open for parts to rebuild the RB to working order.
Shame the Quaife set costs so much :-/

16Lost 3rd gear tonight :( Empty Re: Lost 3rd gear tonight :( 14th September 2013, 3:50 pm

pulsarmoley

pulsarmoley

Do quaiffe make the rb ratio gears then?

17Lost 3rd gear tonight :( Empty Re: Lost 3rd gear tonight :( 14th September 2013, 4:45 pm

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

No there ratios for 1st to 3rd are low but retain a closer match to standard ratios for 4th/5th.
Main point was Quaife is a good all rounder & seems tough & if price had been lower a lot more people would of gone that route rather than becoming good at gearbox swaps or salvaging box parts for rebuilds.

18Lost 3rd gear tonight :( Empty Re: Lost 3rd gear tonight :( 14th September 2013, 5:09 pm

pulsarmoley

pulsarmoley

Never knew that, thought all the quaiffe gears were similar ratios to ra boxes, learn something new everyday Very Happy 

19Lost 3rd gear tonight :( Empty Re: Lost 3rd gear tonight :( 14th September 2013, 6:14 pm

GTI-R US

GTI-R US
Management
Management

no the ratios are slightly higher but I think 5th is the same
cant remember off top of my head without looking it up

20Lost 3rd gear tonight :( Empty Re: Lost 3rd gear tonight :( 14th September 2013, 7:51 pm

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

Yeh Bob you right 1 to 3rd are higher, 4th very close to standard & 5th the same as standard.
Thought they done a lower ratios somewhere between RB & standard for 1st to 3rd, did they ever have ratio options in the earlier days or am I thinking of the PAR kits !

21Lost 3rd gear tonight :( Empty Re: Lost 3rd gear tonight :( 14th September 2013, 7:57 pm

pulsarmoley

pulsarmoley

Forgive me for being thick, higher gearing means more speed? I.e ra 1st = 35mph, quaiffe 1st = 40mph. Or have I got it the wrong way round? scratch 

22Lost 3rd gear tonight :( Empty Re: Lost 3rd gear tonight :( 14th September 2013, 8:25 pm

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

The only gearkit we manufacture for the Nissan sunny / Pulsar GTiR is the 5 speed synchro for the 4wd only. This gearkit uses the original final drive. The ratios available are:

1st          2nd        3rd         4th         5th

2.615     1.765     1.238     0.917     0.741

This is from quaife as funnily enough i was talking to them the other day regarding sorting us out a club discount .

23Lost 3rd gear tonight :( Empty Re: Lost 3rd gear tonight :( 14th September 2013, 8:42 pm

GTI-R US

GTI-R US
Management
Management

heres something I wrote earlier took me at least 5 minutes though lol
Gear Ratio
1st gear 2.97:1
2nd gear 2.07:1
3rd gear 1.43:1
4th gear 1.00:1
5th gear 0.84:1  
reverse 3.38:1

In 1st gear, the engine makes 2.97 revolutions for every revolution of the transmission’s output. In 4th gear, the gear ratio of 1:1 means that the engine and the transmission's output rotate at the same speed. 5th gear are known as overdrive gear, in which the output of the transmission is revolving faster than the engine's output.

The Car above has a differential ratio of 3.42:1, meaning that for every 3.42 revolutions of the transmission’s output, the wheels make one revolution. The differential ratio multiplies with the transmission ratio, so in 1st gear, the engine makes 10.16 revolutions for every revolution of the wheels.

The car’s tyres can almost be thought of as a third type of gearing.

With the gear ratios of the transmission and differential, and the size of the tyres, it becomes possible to calculate the speed of the car for a particular gear at a particular engine RPM.

For example, it is possible to determine the distance the car will travel for one revolution of the engine by dividing the circumference of the tire by the combined gear ratio of the transmission and differential.

d = \frac{c_t}{gr_t \times gr_d}

It is also possible to determine a car's speed from the engine speed by multiplying the circumference of the tyre by the engine speed and dividing by the combined gear ratio.

v_c = \frac{c_t \times v_e}{gr_t \times gr_d}

now if vc= egd then that means gr_d is higher which means wheels turn at a higher momentum thus creating more speed which in turn finally equates to a speeding ticket and possibly a night behind bars, and no I do not mean the drinking kind

24Lost 3rd gear tonight :( Empty Re: Lost 3rd gear tonight :( 14th September 2013, 8:57 pm

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

That still means fook all to me lol i get the gist of it but far to complex for my little brain  .... so does that mean from the figures i put up from quaife  compared  to the figures you put up  i see the quaife ones are slightly less so are the cogs bigger or smaller .?

25Lost 3rd gear tonight :( Empty Re: Lost 3rd gear tonight :( 14th September 2013, 8:59 pm

pulsarmoley

pulsarmoley

That's more of a explanation than I was expecting Shocked  I take it those ratios you quoted Bob are the standard ones.
Might wanna copy that explanation and put it in a sticky.

Last edited by pulsarmoley on 14th September 2013, 9:03 pm; edited 2 times in total

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 3]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum